• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looks damn cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
KizerSosay said:
You know what got me through OCS is just the thinking that has been said aleady. The fact that OCS is a test to weed out guys that do not truly want to be there. Kind of a right of passage if you will or a "hazing" to get in.
exactly! As much as I thought I did, deep down inside, it just wasn't the dirrection my life was going! You put into the words I couldn't

Whalebite said:
So why are you still hanging around here?

trying to give information about my experience to those planning on attending OCS. I've just about given all the info I have, so you wont have to worry about me being arround much longer whalebite.

NavyOCS

makoslim said:
exactly! As much as I thought I did, deep down inside, it just wasn't the dirrection my life was going! You put into the words I couldnt

Actually my point was more along the lines of sticking through OCS because OCS is not representative of what life in the Marine Corps is. Boy, I had to tell myself that ALOT.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
KizerSosay said:
Actually my point was more along the lines of sticking through OCS because OCS is not representative of what life in the Marine Corps is. Boy, I had to tell myself that ALOT.
I understood that, but it did weed out those that didn't really want to be there, me being one of them. I thought I did to my core, but when it came down to it, it really wasn't for me.

Augustus

Makoslim, I believe you are doing us potential candidates a invaluable favor. Why is that?
Many of us have never been in a high pressure system (i.e. OCS) and don't have a clue of what we are getting ourselves into.
One thing potential candidates must do before taking a step further into the Marines is the prepare themselves mentally.

Second, I believe in order to be a Marine Officer one must know the greatest sacrifice one must give in order to be one. And that is your life for your country and/or your men.
I guess the realization only comes when you are heading to OCS.

E5B is right, it's about how badly you really want it.
It goes beyond PT. It goes beyond that tedious run that you do to prepare, the one you feel like your limbs are about to fall out, where you would rather end life then take a single tred more...
Yes, I WANT IT!!

If my post seems incoherent I apologize, for some reason my writing finesse has been going down the drain lately.

Midshipmanjosh

Excelent Post and comments Augustus. I agree with you and i also was going to thank makoslim for all the valuable info that he has been posting about the first couple of days at OCS and about all the mental prep.

I would agree with you about the mental part of the training. I used to work with a Ret. navy seal who was a door pounder for 20 years. He told me that when he went through BUDs, it wasn't the size of the guy, but how bad he wanted to be a seal. And with everything not just the Seals or the Marines, its all about how bad you want that things.

Anyways, thanks guys.

Matt S

None
Yep, it sure does look cold there! Sorry to hijack this hijacked thread back. J/K

Kudos to those doing it in the cold!!!!!!!

makoslim

Air candidate 188
Well, i think i've given all the info i can. sorry it was in a thread that has nothing to do with it, I was just answering questions. Ill check in every now and then to see if anyone has any questions, but I would recomend you have your questions answered by someone who has finished the program so you can get the whole picture. Thanks to everyone on this site who helped me prepare before OCS, and It's cold there, but not that cold (for the time being ;) )

eman22

What up all of you potential OCSers. Well I'm home now, broken foot going into the seventh week, what a kick in the crotch that is. Gonna let it heal and get back to training. I'm pumped to get back to OCS and finish up. Basically why I'm writing is to offer any advice or answer any questions about OCS, I completed the bulk of it and am just waiting for this stupid injury to heal so feel free to shoot me an email or whatever. ericmsmith22@yahoo.com But for those of you going let me tell you, its no joke. Its tough, you pt for 2-3 hours everyday, thats the fun part. If you enjoy cleaning, pt, and eating you'll enjoy OCS. Oh don't forget the whopping 3 hours of sleep that you'll be lucky to get every night. You adapt and its not all that bad, just suck it up 100% of the time and take it day by day and you'll be fine.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I don’t get why people are asking Makoslim why he didn’t just stick it out then see if he likes the Marines or whatever.

THAT is precisely the attitude that results in poor officers (not disrespect to Makoslim, as I will say more later). OCS is supposed to weed people out who aren’t cut out for the job for whatever reason. At TBS there are too many Lt.s who probably shouldn’t be there. And some of them are even aware of it themselves. But guess what? They stuck it out. Good for them??? NO!

I wish more people would be bold enough to decide to leave OCS. I know it has to be one of the hardest decisions to make. And that is no lip service.

The fleet isn’t like OCS (or TBS), but at what point are people suppose to decide that being a Marine Officer isn’t for them. TBS is really a little too late for that. Unfortunately many people who have an inkling that this profession isn’t for them push on to TBS, where they become SURE it isn’t for them….and then go on to the fleet (as I have seen) and are awful officers. Our Marines deserve more than that!

Frankly I am grateful that people like Makoslim have the balls to realize that they might be better at something else, and make that extremely difficult decision. And I’m sure there is a platoon of Marines somewhere that thanks him, too.

If anyone decides for whatever reason at whatever time not to complete OCS or accept their commission, good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.