• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looks damn cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
USMCBebop said:
I wonder what happens to those candidates who just desert.

I was asking the priors in my group, and the SSgt who walked us arround Brawn Field after we dropped, and they all said there wasn't really anything they could do. They would get a slap on the wrist, and thier OSO would hate them about as mine does me right now.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
makoslim said:
I was asking the priors in my group, and the SSgt who walked us arround Brawn Field after we dropped, and they all said there wasn't really anything they could do. They would get a slap on the wrist, and thier OSO would hate them about as mine does me right now.
Any chance of returning, or is a DOR a done deal for you?

NavyOCS

There was a candidate last summer who tried to swim the river to the other side on the second day. He failed and ended up a 1/4 mile down, cold and shivering. I guess the rigors of in-processing were overwhelming.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Another good UA story (not first-hand, but from others in my plt): we're the duty platoon during in-processing for the second batch of 6-week candidates, so we're providing the sentries for the parking lot next to the brig. Sometime in the wee hours of the morning, the COG is either taking the replacement sentries out or the new ones in (I don't remember which). A taxi drives up right onto the parade deck and pulls up a few yards away from the barracks. Two candidates run out of the barracks with their civilian gear and get into the cab, which immediately pulls away. So, our COG immediately has to run back and wake up the duty instructor, who happened to be our platoon sergeant, in order to report the UA.

peanut3479

pilot
We had one candidate go UA in the second week (he must have kept his keys or something, because he drove off in the middle of the night); morning formation was interesting, to say the least - "...X plt, all present or accounted for...Y plt, one candidate UA!..." I don't remember if it was because all of the staff didn't know, but there was a lot of yelling on the parade deck that morning.

There's one thing that's important to remember about OCS - a large part of it is determining how well an individual reacts to failure. As far as initial PFT failures go, I don't remember anyone that failed the in-processing PFT that didn't graduate unless they were going to, and subsequently did, fail out for some other reason.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
USMCBebop said:
Any chance of returning, or is a DOR a done deal for you?

DOR does put a mark on your file that says "not recomended for return", but Im not going back anyway. The reason I DORd is because I realized I just dont have what it takes to lead Marines, I think I have what it takes to be a Marine, just not an officer.

Woa! just realized I accidently typed UA insted of DOR on there, good thing there is edit on here!

makoslim

Air candidate 188
who ever said it was bad? I dropped because I figured out it wasn't the right occupation for me. Im just going to go on and get my PhD in Organizational Psychology. I was really looking forward to graduation before (I didn't even walk at my college graduation, but wanted my family to see me be comissioned), but it just didnt work out for me. I didn't judge anything on the actuall program at OCS (I thought it was great, and the little I did see of the training was great) I judged how I would stack up in the future on me an me alone. It was dissapointing realizing I didn't have what I think I need to succeed in the corps, but Im OK with it, because I know that I have other options to fall back on. I just wanted to clear up some confusion since most people on here sound like they think everyone drops because of the program, not personal reasons.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
It all boils down to "How bad do you want it". (or should I say how bad DID you want it)For once Michael W posted something not completely worthless when he said something to the effect.....you really can't base your very limited OCS experience on your abilities to lead or react under pressure. How do you figure you gave it a chance? You should have waited until you were thrown into a leadership possition and I garuntee you would've found out a lot about yourself. It sounds to me that you folded under pressure and have found lame excuses to cover it up. OCS (and TBS for that matter) isn't the real day to day Marine Corps...Training commands, which are used for weeding out the weak, and evaluation.

In the end I respect you for realizing this isn't the job for you. It's better you end it now, rather than becoming a Marine Officer, leading Marines and then folding under pressure, and God forbid it be in a combat situation. And don't think that just because you 'were' an air candidate that you weren't going to lead Marines.

I also thank you for posting your experience on here so that newcomers don't think it's just a walk in the park and people really don't make it through.

Just one question: What did you expect it to be like?

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
Hey guys, here on my second libbo. I'm sitting here at a Holiday Inn Express near Potomac Mills finally relaxing after another hard week. First off I will say that it has been damn cold. We were lucky that it warmed up for the combat course. The water was still 41 degrees and there was one hypothermia case. The glove inserts that they give you here suck. They rip and fall apart and your hands still freeze. For me the roughest days were the first few days after you've been picked up and you're still doing the admin crap like picking up your uniforms and eating those box lunches. Our platoon has SSgt Wright and Falcon, Gunnery Sgt Jerrin, and Cpt Lizarraga as our staff so were pretty hard core (if you know SSgt Wright you'll know what I mean). I've already got a lot of funny quotes but I'll probably save them for later. Our platoon has already had 2 NPQs and 4 DORs. What with all the shuffle our platoon is down to 41 as of now. Advice for all of you going is "discipline", if your at the POA you don't look around, if your supposed to be quiet shut your suck. I say this because the most important thing here I think is to make sure you keep from getting essays. A 300 word essay usually takes me around 50 mikes. If they start adding up on you you'll lose a lot of sleep, then you'll fall asleep in class, get in trouble, more essays. Main advice don't come in the winter. Quigley would have been cake if there weren't chunks of ice floating in it, although the 4 mile double time in my war gear and ALICE pack was rough. Especially going up Radar Hill. As far as other physical stuff it hasn't been too hard. Were doing 4 mile squad runs around a 8 min pace. Not too bad except going up Danang. Fell back on Danang the first time I ran it. Had the Jr Fartlek today though and I moto'ed up it in style. The trick is to look at the ground and you almost don't realize your going up a big ass hill. THis next week we have pugil sticks, night compass test, and land nav test. Libbo is a must to keep yourself sane. My pullups have dropped off so much. Was doing 18 on preship, got 16 on the initial PFT at OCS (your arms get tired from lugging your bags and gear around all the time), and now in the almost 5th week I'm down to somewhere around 13. I havn't lost any weight quite yet altough I've lost some muscle mass in my arms. If I could get some goo rest my strenght would shoot through the roof. If you've got any Q's go ahead and ask em I'll check back next week.

"Boy you must be in the desert smoking pejote"

"[smacking his lips] Its Miller time"

SSgt Wright.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
E5B said:
Just one question: What did you expect it to be like?

It was actually exactly what I expected it to be like. The only problem is that I wasn't exactly what I expected. Of course my inability wasn't the only reason I dropped, there is never just one reason. It was just the main reason that made me realize I would be wasting my time as well as the staffs if I stayed. It was a very hard conclusion to come to, and I would appreciate not being criticized for just puting the info I can out there.

Damn, from everything I've read on here, I wish I could have heard just one of SSgt wright's quotes! Leatherneck, what platoon are you in?

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
makoslim said:
DOR does put a mark on your file that says "not recomended for return", but Im not going back anyway. The reason I DORd is because I realized I just dont have what it takes to lead Marines, I think I have what it takes to be a Marine, just not an officer.
Well, good luck in your future endeavors. It's hard to admit to yourself your shortcomings (as you did), but that's life. Those who don't know what their shortcomings are and how to improve themselves usually have a ride awakening.

NavyOCS

You know what got me through OCS is just the thinking that has been said aleady. The fact that OCS is a test to weed out guys that do not truly want to be there. Kind of a right of passage if you will or a "hazing" to get in.

I just hope that I learn a whole lot of stuff at TBS, cause I kinda skimmed by at OCS. I tell you what, for a while it seemed like we were on a reality show. We do the peer evals and then BAM! the next couple of days candidates are getting boarded and then stripping thier racks and gathering thier trash while the rest of the Platoon is at POA during inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.