• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looks damn cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Don't be grinning!

Unless you train with Charlie Co., TBS, you'll get your share of COLD weather, believe me.

For OCS, if you want to avoid the extreme temps (too hot, too cold), try to go OCC in the fall.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
I dropped after I let my initial PFT get to me, and realized I wasn't fit to command under duress, but anyway, it was about 33 degrees and windy durring the first PFT. It snowed about 3 inches the next day. It wasn't that bad when you are in your Gore-tex and stuff, but the first night there (I was West Coasst so I arrived a day early) the fire alarm went off at 4Am (exactly 4 AM, and the staff Sgt. just happened to be all dressed in his charlies at the door... hmmm...) but anyway, standing in formation outside the barracks in the cold in flip flops, shorts, and the just the gore-tex jacket at 4 AM even made me shiver (when I left Montana the day before, it was -30, and here I was shivering at OCS!) The staff has a lot of respect for the winter guys, I stayed in the permanent staff barracks for two nights before they could get my paper work ready, and take me to the airport, and the staff was telling us how much respect they have for the winter OCS students, because it is the hardest (in thier opinion of course, I would think the summer would be harder for me).

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Man, weather in the Corps comes in to varieties: TOO COLD, or TOO HOT.

I remember walking around Pendleton in the morning during the Spring with my sweatshirt and my wooly-pully on underneath my cammies, with gloves and glove inserts on, still freezing to death...then in the afternoon walking the 1/2 or 3/4 mile from the flightline to the chow-hall dripping sweat.

Edit: Heh, if you think that was cold, you would have been wishing for it come summer-time in the Stumps or Yuma. :D :D

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Dude, you are NOT kidding about Pendleton. Great duty at the air station there, but I never southern CA could get so freaking cold. Especially when busting out some EXREP action at 0200. Five hours later, it was damn near 90 after the Santa Ana love kicked in. Wreaked havoc with my system for weeks.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Whoever said the PT at TBS was easier than OCS was lying.....

Wait til you get further into the POI. Then you will be wishing for PT...or you'll be like me and do it on your own. Unless of course your SPC is a PT stud. Okay, thread hijacking over.

hendogg311

prepare for rain with charlie

Yeah you might be right about not being cold at TBS if you are in charlie company but yu will get soaked. It rained on us everytime we were in the field. I did winter OCS 185 and I would rather do TBS in the winter than OCS winter. At least at TBS you can bring whaterver you want in the field. OCS I was issued the thermals and never wore them once.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
PSno23, no, cold wasn't a problem at all, im from MT and used to the cold. I did receive a failing PFT (222, the lowest score I have ever had, down from a 274 preship one month before). I DOR'd because after I had that score, I let it really get to me. I realized how much little tiny failures can affect me, and didn't think I would be comfortable having lives in my hands if every little failure was going to hit me this hard. Oh, yeah, the reasons for the low PFT (the cold did affect me a little, Im not used to doing pull ups outside) My pullups were at 16 (19, but he didnt count three to make an example) down from 24 four days earlier. Crunches, if you read in the pullups and run thread, I explain this, basicly it was a difference in technique between what I was taught by my OSA and what they expected there, and the run time... I got shin splints right after my preship PFT (literally two days later) and had to use the stationary bike for the next month. although I did a great cardio workout for 1 hour 6 days a week, it wasn't proper for the run. The muscles I wasnt using on the bike (lower back, calves, etc...) all tightened up arround mile 2, and everyone started running on by, i ended up with a 25 minute 3 mile, it sucked soooo bad.

Any way, someone asked me to tell about my short experience there. It wasn't too bad (then again, I never nhad to go through pick up with the SIs and DIs in your face.) when you get off the plane and go the the baggace claim C to get picked up, your world changes (if you aren't a prior). as soon as you get tehre, dont walk right up to the marines in Charlies, stand a good 6 feet away, and they will come to you and ask for your name. Your military training really starts right nere, so dont call the Sgt. Sir like I did (I always use Sir as a courtesy) you then put on your go fasters, and sit untill a full bus load arrives, then you ride to Quantico.

The next few days are boring, It is all admin crap , and you sit in an old clasroom (that even when it is freezing outside is about 80 degrees with 300 candidates in there) and do a lot of waiting and reading your "knowledge" A.K.A the candidate regs (easy stuff, youll have it memorized in a day, and just pretend to read for the next 2 or 3 days) when you don't go to the chow hall to eat, little boxes of food and juice are given to you (the juice is way to sugary, and every box meal comes with a snickers, I thought I was going to sugar crash a few times, I got sooo tired) if you get tired, stand up and drink water, it will wake you up. You will spend this time filling out paper work (not much paperwork), punching out your stencils (the stencil machines suck), helping other punch out stencils, giving information to a person who will type it in a computer, then you will get your Candidate handbook (big thick book "blue monster" not blue anymore). but mostly, you will be sitting arround.there will be a period in there wher you go over and pick up your poncho, gore-tex, gloves, warbelt, canteen covers, canteens, beanie, etc... and fill out a form saying that you recieved all of this.
If you go anywhere (head), utilize the buddy system, they will start to require this arround day two or three. Medical is boring too, you pee in a cup, and go over to the med center where you are checked out, get a TB test shot, and give blood (aviation guys, you will have already given all the samples needed at your flight 1 physical so you wont need to give any blood) but mostly, youll be standing/sitting arround. The Corpsman in the med center are cool as hell,

Well, that about all I can think of for now, good luck to all of you planning to go, and god speed to all of you already graduated/in the fleet!

reapergm

It sucks to see people freak out at OCS.. b/c after the 3rd week it becomes so much easier (atleast mentally). Its all a game, you just have to suck it up. I give credit to all those who atleast give it the shot, but I just know how many people regret the DOR decision. Nothin beats the feeling at the commissioning ceremony... NOTHING!

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
The worst are the people that freak out right before pick-up. We had two guys in my company freak out and run out of the room while the company was sitting at POA listening to the Colonel's speech and waiting for the staff to come in.

Matt S

None
OCS = Good times!!!
Almost miss it. "Something you wouldn't trade for the world, but something you never want to do again." Unless your like me and have to go back to Seniors. I read that somewhere on here before I shipped and it couldn't be said better.

I give credit to anyone who even makes an attempt during the winter time because being from Phoenix my whole life and hating the cold it would suck BIG TIME!!!!
(couldn't imagine)

It's all what you make of it and your attitude. It is true that you get into a groove somewhere around halfway through.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
as of pick up, noone at 188 had freaked out yet. All of us who DOR/NPQd were pretty cool about it (the other DORs were priors who at that point just wanted to get back to their units). we did have one guy in my platoon who UAd the first night though, he drove, and they hadn't collected keys yet. I guess he just walked by the fire watch guys and didn't say a word. Retard. As for regretting the decision to DOR, I did before I ever made it, but I had to be true to myself and understand that no matter how bad I wanted this, I just wasn't cut out for it in a way that couldn't be changed. I still have a tremendous amount of respect for all of you who are out there keeping my ass free, and I thank you.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
makoslim said:
as of pick up, noone at 188 had freaked out yet. All of us who DOR/NPQd were pretty cool about it, we did have one guy in my platoon who UAd the first night though, he drove, and they hadn't collected keys yet. I guess he just walked by the fire watch guys and didn't say a word. Retard.
Yeah when I was in OCS back in 98, I heard of some guy in a prior class just walking across the RR tracks and he never returned. I thought some fellow candidates would do something similar in our class, but surprisingly, no one did. If they wanted out they either begged to get out before the seventh week or waited til then to DOR.

I wonder what happens to those candidates who just desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.