• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking to Rent for IFS/API/Primary

Random Task

pilot
So I'm looking for a place to live through IFS, API, and Primary. I'm married and coming from a DUIN post (e.i. I will have follow on orders to whiting). I read most of the threads on this subject but obviously everyone has thier own opinion about where to live so there's no clear answer about whether living closer to NASP or NASWF is better.

Obviously being in the navy requires that my preferences be just that...preferences but having said that I would prefer not to move half way through. Does anyone have any houses for rent or have rented houses between NSAP and NASWF. I have a dog so a house would be preferable. Also if you have any other good gouge related my situation feel free to add.

Also I'm looking at orders for beginning to middle of May. Thanks for all your input.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
If you know that you are going to get follow on orders to Whiting, I would advise start looking for houses in Pace or Milton. You'll have to suck it up during API driving about 30 min from up there but it's only 6 weeks. Primary is a lot longer and your drive will go down to about 15 min. Moreover, if you get helos, you're already set. 'PCS Realty' gets a thumbs up from me. My $.02.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Very true, but there is NOTHING in Milton. I'mm living about half way between Whiting and NAS Pcola in North Pcola. It's a 20-25 min drive to NAS Pcola and a 30 min drive to NAS Whiting. There is allot more in this area compared to Milton. Also, You might not be in Primary "longer" than IFS/API. I checked into NASC the first week of September and I don't class up for API until March 6. That will make it seven months by the time I roll to Primary which usually takes around six months to complete (weather permitting). I recommend somthing half or so. Good luck!

Random Task

pilot
What I'm being told by my XO is that I should make it through a-pool/IFS/API a bit faster than the guys who went down after June/july 08 because I will be beating the Naval Academy/ROTC rush. Hopefully that limits my time in NASP.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Go to pensacolamls.com

Click properties.

Change the category drop down to rentals.

Click on the location tab and click Milton, Pace, and NE PCola, and NNW PCola.

Click OK and then Search now. You can also put in a price range.

Voila! There are most rental properties in the area! Exactly where to live is your choice.

iwishiwaseatin

Hmm mhhmm
pilot
I cant say anything to the condition of the houses (though I assume pretty good), but I live in Milton close to Whiting Pines and their are alot of houses for rent. Many of these have been available for awhile, when I was looking I had one Realtor tell me that I could take off $150 off the price because they were getting desperate (back in October). Places going for $1200 then are now listed at $900. And although you may be in API and IFS for awhile it would be much nicer to live closer for primary than anything else. Food for thought.

trackgain

Here's an idea, go online to get a look at what is around, go on 10 days househunting to look around and see what is available. If there isn't anything in Milton, I would check out around UWF area or around the Bluffs. At least if you take your 10 days househunting you can have something aready set up and do a door to door move.

Random Task

pilot
One of my buddies was saying that people on follow on orders can get per diem while they live in pensacola for ifs/api and then move closer to milton once API is done. Is there any truth to that?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
He'll only have to drive to NASP for API? Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

The wait down here is making the whole A-pool/IFS/API thing longer than Primary, so wherever you live you're f*cked. I'd just find a place you like between the two locales and call it a day.

Random Task

pilot
He'll only have to drive to NASP for API? Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

The wait down here is making the whole A-pool/IFS/API thing longer than Primary, so wherever you live you're f*cked. I'd just find a place you like between the two locales and call it a day.

What would make you think I would only have to drive to NASP for API, it's pretty obvious by the last posts that it would be IFS/API and the obvious apool wait in between which leads to the question if you get per diem to live in Pensacola while waiting for and during API it would be worth it to move for 6+months of per diem not to mention that it would be a significantly shorter to commute to both.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I was in almost the same boat as the OP. I rented a place about a mile from Corry Station for API, then moved everything (at my own expense) to a place in Milton afterwards.

I *DID* get per diem for every day I lived in P'cola (7 weeks). I have heard they changed it and no longer do that. Apparently, the $5500 API graduation check was weighing a little heavy on Uncle's wallet.

Cost me about $200 to get a UHaul and make 3 trips to Milton to move my stuff, and I didn't have a drive longer than 10 minutes to either A-Pool, API, or Primary. Totally worth it.

I liked living in Milton. It was extremely rural and there was no nightlife, but we had a huge house and yard and threw some bitchin' parties. Also, there's plenty of outdoor activities, too.

Jacy

House Rental Available in Milton

Hi, I saw your request and wanted to let you know that I just posted a house for rent in Milton. It's a great location for flight students. My husband and I bought the home when he was stationed their for flight school (we're Coasties) and have been since renting it to flight students. Our current tenant is due to wing at the end of March so the house will be available for rent in April. We would rather have the house rented than empty so we try and make our rent competitive. Let me know if you're interested. If you view my thread there's a link to pictures. Thanks and good luck.

Jacy Young
jacyyoung@comcast.net