• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

looking for opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-man

Ok, so here's my situation:
I am currently putting the final touches on my application for Marine Corp OCS. Due to my eye sight, in combination with my age, and financial hardships, I initially decided to try for an NFO contract rather than aviation. My thought was "just get me in the cockpit and if I can get PRK later, and get lucky enough to switch to aviation, I will".

That line of thinking was before I knew that you could get an age waver. I am 26 years old and will be 27 first week of July. I am/was trying to complete my application for the June OCS class, but that deadline is getting really close and I may not make it. There is the October class which "should" get me commissioned within the age limit of 27.5, but that's cutting it extremely close (commissioned in January 06, right at 27.5 and if they are anal about what day I'm commissioned, I may miss it).

So, my first question to you all is this: If I were to go get PRK now, would (should? - I know everyone heals and different speeds) I be able to make the October class or would the healing process push it back even further.

My second question is I wanted to get some opinions from you guys here: Should I get the PRK and go for the aviation contract with the possible need of an age waiver? or am I cutting it too close on age, and should just concentrate on getting in. No matter where I sit, I know I will be happy just being in the cockpit. Although I'd rather be a pilot, I feel I would be just as happy filling any seat in the cockpit.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Speaking from experience

I had prk in august and I know the following...If you ahve a refractive eror greater then -5.00 in any eye you must wait at least six months after you surgury in order to be cleared. If its less than tat its 3 months, wiht that in mind it takes about 1-2 months after you flight physical for all the paperwork to go through. SO you do the math. Hope this helps.

T-man

Thanks for the feedback so far guys! The more the better - keep the comments comin.

T-man

Well, I went and had my flight physical yesterday. I talked with the eye doctor during that portion of the examination. After talking with her, I think I'm going to follow her recommendation and wait until after I'm in to get the PRK.

nugget81

pilot
That sounds like a safer course of action. However, you should really do what your heart says. If you truly believe that you will be able to switch to pilot after you get in, then go for it. You said that you'd be happy filling any seat in the cockpit, but do you really believe it? When I didn't meet the vision requirements at MEPS, I tried to tell myself that same rationale but I knew that I truly wanted to fly. I don't know if you have any flight hours already, but I have about 300. After flying that many hours I know that I love to fly (and I probably even knew it within the 1st hour). Just think about what you really want - don't try to rationalize a potentially bad decision and regret it later. Whatever you decide - Good Luck!!

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Anyone (Wink) or anyone else have advice for PRK for fleet bubbas? I am sick of the contacts and am thinking about FO to pilot transition. Any thoughts would be great.

T-man

once I'm in, I plan on getting PRK. I've been wearing glasses for 20 or so years. I'm ready to get them off my face. The technology has come far enough that I feel it's pretty safe. Once I'm in, I'd also like to make the FO->pilot transition as well, or at least try. Granted, needs of the Corps will always come first. But even if I never make the transition, I know I'd be happy with the PRK, and everyone I've talked to (both here on this board, and IRL) have been completely happy with PRK and would recommend it to anyone, even if you're not in aviation.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
everyone heals differently, i got my eyes fixed 18 feb 05, and i'm seeing 20/10 in my left, and 20/25 (at my least check up 1 month ago) in my righ, it should be 20/20 by now (at least). My OSO wanted me to have 3 months to fully heal before he completed my packet, so the answer is, yes you shuold have enough time to heal for october. The question though, is when is you application due by? if your application is due september, then yes, you still should be ok. i would say the earliest you could have your application in now (with getting your pre-op, and scheduling an appointment to get the surgery) you are looking at august for have your eyes fully healed.

Status
Not open for further replies.