• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking For New Black Rifle

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
I bought my first handgun a few months ago (Sig P229 SAS), and now I'm looking into buying a rifle this weekend at the Pensacola Gun Show. My roommate has a self-MODed AR15 that is really nice, but I'm trying to do some research on other models out there other than the AR15. Not saying I don't want one, just trying to get some other opinions.

Suggestions??

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
It's a good time to buy, prices are coming back to normal. For example: Colt 6920 (the closest thing you can get to the issue M4) for 1299:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/colt_rifles.html

You'd be hard-pressed to beat that price (even after shipping and transfer fee) at the gunshow.

There are other options for a military rifle, but few cheaper or more versatile than the AR-15. As A4 said when I asked about an AUG a few months ago, get an AR first, then explore the exotic options if you so like.

Hubble

There are a lot of good options out there right now - as far as an M4 / AR-15 varriant, there are a whole bunch of manufacturers out there who produce a high-quality product. I personally don't care for Colt too much, given some of their marketing / manufacturing decisions lately, but it's a good rifle. Others I'd look into are Rock River, DPMS (or DMPS, can't remember), Panther, Bushmaster, along with a slew of others. For other non-M4 type weapons take a look at the SiG 556. If you're looking for a gun in a 7.62 - class round, I'd suggest a PRT-91. It's a H&K G3 clone that many people like more than the actuall G3. Bunch of accessories out there for it, and most G3 stuff will work with it. Price-wise I think new ones are in the 1200 range, which is significantly cheaper than an M1A / M14. That and mags are frikin cheap.
Hope that helps.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
cdnn investments has the PTR91 in stock for $1080 as of today.

Just because the military has to use a crap like the m16 or m9 doesn't mean you need to waste your personal money on such shenanigans.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Although you can build yourself a very fine AR-15/M-16 platform based weapon...but I see where sodajones is coming from.

If you're willing to give up a little aftermarket support and "modability", here is a real man killer. Get a USGI front sight w/ bayonet lug if you really want to piss off the libs: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=13

From what I've heard, Fulton Armory builds one hell of an M14, but you'll pay for it. The SA M1A is a solid weapon though. And if you get the synthetic stock, it's black too :D

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Although you can build yourself a very fine AR-15/M-16 platform based weapon...but I see where sodajones is coming from.

If you're willing to give up a little aftermarket support and "modability", here is a real man killer. Get a USGI front sight w/ bayonet lug if you really want to piss off the libs: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=13

From what I've heard, Fulton Armory builds one hell of an M14, but you'll pay for it. The SA M1A is a solid weapon though. And if you get the synthetic stock, it's black too :D

Just as a teaser for all of you, I have an M14 build that I should be getting back from Ted Brown within a few weeks. It's based on an LRB (forged) receiver with all USGI parts...I'll be sure to post pics and give a range report along with my new springfield 1911 mil spec, PTR91, and GSG-5.

I splurged and decided to buy the 4 guns I've wanted for a while.

It's a sickness...

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Thanks for the opinions so far. I like the idea of getting an M14, and after checking out Fulton Armory I proceeded to sob for about 5 mins because they are so nice but so expensive. The SA ones looked good too, but no prices. Thanks again and if any other ideas pop up lemmie know.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Thanks for the opinions so far. I like the idea of getting an M14, and after checking out Fulton Armory I proceeded to sob for about 5 mins because they are so nice but so expensive. The SA ones looked good too, but no prices. Thanks again and if any other ideas pop up lemmie know.

If you are interested in the M14 then go to m14tfl.com

There are plenty of people buying and selling entire weapons and parts and accessories for the rifle. It is also the most comprehensive source of m14 info you can find on the net. Many nationally known users, experts, and smiths post on the site.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Just as a teaser for all of you, I have an M14 build that I should be getting back from Ted Brown within a few weeks. It's based on an LRB (forged) receiver with all USGI parts...I'll be sure to post pics and give a range report along with my new springfield 1911 mil spec, PTR91, and GSG-5.

I splurged and decided to buy the 4 guns I've wanted for a while.

It's a sickness...

Wow. Where'd you get the receiver from, and for how much (if you don't mind me asking)? Cheapest I've been able to find is around $1000 for the receiver alone...

But what a beauty that girl is going to be!

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Wow. Where'd you get the receiver from, and for how much (if you don't mind me asking)? Cheapest I've been able to find is around $1000 for the receiver alone...

But what a beauty that girl is going to be!

Ted Brown has them in stock for retail which is around $960 I believe. I also heard Jon Wolfe has some as well.

I'm really excited to get her back, she has the best of everything I could find on her with the exception of the stock. I am undecided in what I'm going to do with her and all I have right now is an old Nam' synthetic that looks ugly as hell but still functions just fine. I have been collecting parts for this build for the last two years. I've probably spent about $2500-3000 to get this thing going. I'll have to find something to doll her up in when I take pics. The other guns should be arriving in the next week or two as well.

Also, in the highest traditions of Masterbates, let me just say that I couldn't have made this happen if it wasn't for his marital advice...namely, not getting married in the first place.

It's fun to be young and single. The guns still love me whether I leave the toilet seat up or down.

gonad

You may be interested in a gas-piston AR type similar to the HK416/417

The HK 417 civilian version is ready, I believe, late this year:
http://www.hk-usa.com/mr762_general.asp

as well as the 5.56 version

POF-USA makes a good piston upper as well but you could probably get a really nice (non-springfield) M1A/M14 for almost as much as the upper alone.

I recently shot a few different Springfield M1As and I wasn't really impressed - it was still good, just expecting a little better that's all.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Was watching a History Channel special on the M16 and the last 5 mins they talked about the HK416, I was very impressed. I'm very tempted to wait get one of those when they become available to the public. It would give me a little more time to save up too....

Going shooting at Styx River today for my concealed carry class...will post on the P229 for those interested.