• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Since this is the stupid questions thread, why do we have angled decks? I realize they are safer, but why?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since this is the stupid questions thread, why do we have angled decks? I realize they are safer, but why?
Because you can't bolter. Back in the old days, they had over 10 arresting wires, and the LSO gave you a "cut" signal in close, so you literally came down idle in the wires. If you boltered, you were crashing into the planes up front.

With the angled deck, if you bolter, you head up the port side of the boat away from the rest of the parked aircraft.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

In theory, you can take off and land at the same time ... plus you have the added safety measure of pointing the landing area elsewhere besides into the pack, as you pointed out.

In practice and in cyclic ops, it really means you can launch faster with 4 cats banging away simultaneously that with just two in a straight deck arrangement.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because you can't bolter. Back in the old days, they had over 10 arresting wires, and the LSO gave you a "cut" signal in close, so you literally came down idle in the wires. If you boltered, you were crashing into the planes up front.

With the angled deck, if you bolter, you head up the port side of the boat away from the rest of the parked aircraft.
Once had an A-6 lose a wheel on touchdown. The remaining right main-mount stub caught a wire, careening the A-6 from the angle to the right and into the "pack" toward the bow. Heavy casualties of men and machines resulted.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
With the move in the Essex Class to the angled deck, they also moved the elevators from the center of the flight deck to the outside of the flight deck, another major contribution.....especially if you are manning your "go" bird on the hangar deck ("hey, but they promised us they'd get us upstairs in time to launch!").

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
With the move in the Essex Class to the angled deck, they also moved the elevators from the center of the flight deck to the outside of the flight deck, another major contribution.........
True, true ... but most elevator arrangements were severely f'ed up until the advent of Kitty Hawk and Connie ... i.e., they were poorly placed on -27C's and the early big decks, i.e., Forrestal, Independence, Saratoga, and Ranger even to the point of seldom being used -- the one at the forward end of the landing area comes to mind .... don't know about Coral Sea, Midway, and FDR's elevators.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Back in the old days, ... the LSO gave you a "cut" signal in close, so you literally came down idle in the wires. ....
Actually, it's more of a chicken or the egg question ... i.e., we -- LSO's --- "CUT" recips when waving them as well -- it obviously had nothing to do with an angle or a straight deck at that time -- it's just the way props (recips) land on the BOAT.

They don't fly AOA and up on the power all the way to touchdown ... like jets .... they come aboard @ idle, but have a recip's INSTANT power availability in the event of a bolter and/or AR wave-off (which shouldn't happen, but does) ...

stoofwp4.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Learning has occurred. I'll leave the intricacies of old landing ops to our resident Paddles, I guess . . .:)

Nose

pilot
True, true ... but most elevator arrangements were severely f'ed up until the advent of Kitty Hawk and Connie ... i.e., they were poorly placed on -27C's and the early big decks, i.e., Forrestal, Independence, Saratoga, and Ranger even to the point of seldom being used -- the one at the forward end of the landing area comes to mind .... don't know about Coral Sea, Midway, and FDR's elevators.

During workups in early 90's, El 4 on Sara (the one at the end of the landing area) drooped about 2 inches. An A-6 on a Bolter dragged his hook across the elevator. Going down 2 inches was no big deal, but when he hit the 2 inch step up, he shattered his hook point. Fortunately, we had gas in the air to get him back to the beach - otherwise barricade time.

We didn't fly for a few days while they brought out the guys from Otis Elevators (Okay, maybe it was just from the shipyard) to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.