• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
bestthreadevertc0.jpg

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
To add some L-Class names:

Smell-i-leiu
Block-of-wood
Shit-pan
Essucks
Queerbarge
Bonny Dick (repeat from old school CV)
Iwo

phrogpilot73

To add some L-Class names:
Still L-Class, but not the kind you're accustomed to:

Trashville.

Yup, we probably screwed up the Harriers launch/recovery times as we were making multiple hits between the Iwo and the Trashville to bring their laundry over, because the ships laundry caught on fire and they were unable to repair it until they went into drydock. And we still had about 2 months left on float.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Babe (Lincoln)

Chucky V (Carl Vinson)

The Big E (Enterprise)

The Danger (Ranger)

Every ship's got one...

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
"THE" SHITTY SHANG .... :)

shangrilalf1.jpg

The only one of the old boats I've actually seen. She was tied up at a pier in the Philly Navy Yard in April 1985 with about a 15 degree list. The flight deck was all torn up. Something about the yard rats stealing the deck boards for their home wood burning stoves. We were taking the FID out for sea trials after SLEP then.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"THE" SHITTY SHANG .... :)

shangrilalf1.jpg

The only one of the old boats I've actually seen.....

Now try doin' initial night CQ on one of 'em ... :eek: ... look at the landing area --- no room for messed up line-up on those ol' girls ...

The -27C's were SMALL ... even if they were "big" in their straight-deck, propeller days. The others I've been on were the HORNET, BENNINGTON, TICONDEROGA, and of course, the LEXINGTON. I was slated to go to a squadron that was on the BONNIE DICK, but that's another story ...

There's just no comparing them with the decks of today ....

MasterBates

That looks nuts. I can't imagine flying jets off the straight decks in Korea. I've seen pictures.

I am glad the angled deck came about.

Status
Not open for further replies.