• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We tried that a couple of times @ night for "practice EMCON" in the '70's on one of my ships. :eek:

Guys were looking for any and all excuses to get out of THOSE recoveries. Talk about a shit-storm behind the ship. :D

We did them day and night daily during work-ups and North Atlantic cruises in 82 and 85 while Tu-95 Bears and all sorts of other friendly Red air were trying to hunt us down. Gave the E-2 frontseaters something to do. Wasn't easy, but E-2 guys made it work.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reminds me of a quote I saw posted on the wall somewhere...

"Sometimes you have to shoot the engineers and start production"

We're about to take a couple out to the woodshed and torture them before shooting them (they get one more chance to get with the program)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We tried that a couple of times @ night for "practice EMCON" in the '70's on one of my ships. :eek:

Guys were looking for any and all excuses to get out of THOSE recoveries. Talk about a shit-storm behind the ship. :D

It was about as much use (then) as practicing bleeding ... :)

It's one of those things Hawkeye guys generally don't like doing - too much procedural crap and the APS-145 isn't worth shit for any kind of precision approach. Update rate's just too slow. If you've got a Hawkeye 2000 and the CEC stars align, it can be pretty money. We can actually control our own approach...that'll blow some minds.

Anyway. We train to it in the RAG, do it in the simulators in the Fleet, a fair bit during workups and once in a blue moon on cruise.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's one of those things Hawkeye guys generally don't like doing - too much procedural crap and the APS-145 isn't worth shit for any kind of precision approach. Update rate's just too slow. If you've got a Hawkeye 2000 and the CEC stars align, it can be pretty money. We can actually control our own approach...that'll blow some minds.

Anyway. We train to it in the RAG, do it in the simulators in the Fleet, a fair bit during workups and once in a blue moon on cruise.

All the Hummer really has to do is get 'em to " 3/4 of a mile, CALL THE BALL" .... :eek:

But again; it was 30+ years ago ... I would hope that the personnel and hardware are a little more up to the task today vice in days of yore ...

Hummers and their potential always amazed me, though ... in a WAR at SEA scenario w/ the Rooskies ... some Ensign NFO in the back of an E-2 could be running us and running the whole damn war while the ship was in EMCON.

Truly amazing when one ponders that scenario ... :)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of a quote I saw posted on the wall somewhere...

"Sometimes you have to shoot the engineers and start production"

Har har, there's one quote I like to think about as well:

"Philosophers and historians may talk about the world, but engineers build it."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..."Philosophers and historians may talk about the world, but engineers build it."
"And thank God that hard men are willing to stand on a wall to defend it ... "

I heard that somewhere ... write it down.

49511114jj1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.