• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Thats pretty much what I figured, but since this is the place, thought I might as well check with those "in the know." Thanks guys.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Navy Super Hornet from Air Wing helping out Harrier from nearby MEU

web_080110-M-6412T-018.jpg

080110-M-6412T-018 MIDDLE EAST (Jan. 10, 2008) An AV-8B Harrier, left, from the amphibious assault ship USS Tarawa (LHA 1), piloted by Capt. Daniel S. Fiust of Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron Reinforced, HMM-166 (REIN), performs an aerial refueling maneuver with an F/A-18E Hornet from the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75). U.S. Marine Corps photo by Capt. James Traylor (Released)

Wow. Now I can say that I saw a Hornet do something useful! :D

Firebert

Not a good Commando name
pilot
Thanks for the detailed answers and pictures HJ. On this same vein, I understand that the VMFA and VMA will be transitioned eventually to the F-35B. What are they going to do with VMFA(AW) squadrons? If they just simply deactivate those squadrons won't that mean a lot of Marine NFO's out of a job? If this is one of those questions that no one knows the answer to than I understand, I just didn't know if the Marine Corps had already published a plan or there was ideas circulating the rumor mill.

The plan is to phase out F/A 18 WSO's over the next few years and keep producing EA-6B slots until the Prowler goes away, whenever that is. All VMFA's are technically AW, but only the two seat squadrons held on to that in their title. VMFA(AW) and VMA will just become VMFA's when they switch over to the Dirka Duster. Of course, I may be misremembering what I read.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Is this a trick question..or are you serious?... From back in your day, they were MAUs (Marine Amphibious Units).
Of course it's a "trick" question AND I'm "serious", as I like to cover all bases ... *sigh* ... these Marines, I love 'em.

The only problem was we HAD to keep 'em flyin' over the lunch hour or some of them would forget how .... :D

In the ol' days, indeed it WAS a MAU. And the plural was .... MAU-MAU:

maumauva2.jpg

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
All VMFA's are technically AW, but only the two seat squadrons held on to that in their title. VMFA(AW) and VMA will just become VMFA's when they switch over to the Dirka Duster. Of course, I may be misremembering what I read.

I thought VMFA(AW) stood for "and wizzo".

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got one, what are these things called, and what is their purpose?

They were necessary when aircraft used these to connect to the catapult shuttle....(known as the bridle)

h97718.jpg

TA-4J was last aircraft to need them at sea AFAIK. Carriers began eliminating them when need went away. For awhile, carriers only had one, then there were none.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
actually, if the Frenchies cross deck with us, I've seen Entendards do TnGs....but no traps on US CVNs....is this because they also still require a bridle for a cat shot unlike the Rafale??

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
actually, if the Frenchies cross deck with us, I've seen Entendards do TnGs....but no traps on US CVNs....is this because they also still require a bridle for a cat shot unlike the Rafale??

Unless we have or they send over some bridles, they won't trapping

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What do they actually do?

I'm talking about the "end-of-the-boat-pointy-things", not the bridles.

Sorry if my terminology is too hyper-technical.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do they actually do?

I'm talking about the "end-of-the-boat-pointy-things", not the bridles.

Sorry if my terminology is too hyper-technical.

A Flight Deck Yellow Shirt might know their official name, but they were designed to catch the bridles for reuse. I believe Vinson was last carrier to be built with them. Every carrier afterwards did not have them and most have them deleted except for Enterprise AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.