• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's not the photo that resulted in the loss of two aircraft, is it?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's not the photo that resulted in the loss of two aircraft, is it?

I always briefed any Photoex verticals and worse that ever happened was snuffed motors that were easily relit.

This was a bit more difficult because we knew lead would be blind, but skipper (now VADM Stufflebeam) wanted cover of AvWeek and they wanted to see the bombs in full detail.

DN-SC-93-01299.JPG

Shot before the vertical work showing all three mission loadouts (pre LANTIRN of course) which is what made cover of AvWeek

DN-ST-93-00999.JPG

Photos by HJ

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen squadrons that wear orange. And they weren't test pilots.

In my old recruiting pamphlet, most everyone pictured was in orange or khaki flight suits, (before green nomex) both Training Command and Fleet, back in the day. Of course later, and for many years VF114 Aardvarks all wore orange flight suits, although the supply became limited.

Students were issued surplus white torso harnesses in Meridian in the late '60's. They were ugly (and not the cut-away version either) and much hated. We were told that they were originally made white to "reflect nuclear blasts." :eek: :confused:

I also had a white nomex flight suit that I got later from a guy in TPS. (I may still have it) Unlike the white torso harness, the white flight suit actually looked sort of OK......but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it anywhere. It was made for the same nuclear blast reason, I assume.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're reading back the position of your ACLS needles to CATCC so that they can verify that they have you locked up.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're reading back the position of your ACLS needles to CATCC so that they can verify that they have you locked up.

With aircraft coming down the chute one behind the other, they want to make sure it's not someone else. Answer could be something like "Fly left and up" and if they agree, they respond with "Fly your needles".

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
HS = Helicopter Antisubmarine = Carrier Helo Squadron
HSL = HS LIGHT = Small Boy Helos

HSL is a tad of a misnomer, as they use the same basic airframe, but the 60B/R that HSL uses has a bunch more crap in it, and is heavier.

The Romeo and HSM... Helicopter, Anti Submarine, MANATEE!!!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bullesye is the "ILS" if you will...broadcast to all. Sometimes you can pick it up in marshall.

Death Rattler

pilot
Actually, orange was for everybody at some point during Naval Aviation's history. My guess is sometime during the 50's.

The first time I was issued an orange flight suit was in 1960. When we got to DaNang in mid `65 it seemed a little inapproprate (in case of a shoot down). The answer was...I`m not kidding...the big boys actually said this "If you are seen, you will look like a Buddist Monk". Every one got some Rit dye and turned the suits into a "subdued" color. We were soon issued flight suits with the Viet Nameese 'tiger stripe" pattern. Only problem was they were made of real heavy cloth and were hot as hell. Didn`t really matter, they soon rotted and came apart like every thing else. (100% humidity and 100 degrees).Ah...the good old days...

Nose

pilot
Bullesye is the "ILS" if you will...broadcast to all. Sometimes you can pick it up in marshall.

That's Correct, but you don't call Bullseye needles, just PALS needles. Like Heyjoe said, it is so they can verify they have the correct jet locked up with the radar and that the data being sent is good.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Yup, we wore orange as regular Joes. We were only test pilots exploring the edge of the flight envelope, when our pilot's said, "Hey, watch this" inflight.

Phoenix_me.jpg

Here is a quiz for anyone that went through navy BOOST.

What instructor would have pointed out the phallic imagery in this picture? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.