• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for gouge? Ask your Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation here (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterBates

Thanks for the answers, especially the career progression plan.
I've heard the Tomcat accident hurt the transition program, and I've always failed to see how they can blame one person's lack of good judgement to a need to kill a program that others may want to enter.

Try having almost the same exact name as the mishap Tomcat pilot..

I used to get asked all the time if he was a relative by a certain hinge that thought I "pushed it too hard".. To the point where he thought I was "dangerous".. I kid you not. and this man had less piloting skills than your average H2P..

When I said in an AOM, when asked that AGAIN.. I responded "He's my uncle sir, and I'd appreciate if you STOP making that insinuation that I will mort a crew just because of my name, I'd really appreciate it" and gave him the glare that made him think I was probably going to come across the table and beat the Napoleon syndrome out of him.

(NOTE: LCDR Bates was NOT my uncle, it was a way to get the hinge to STFU that JOPA and the XO were in on)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Try having almost the same exact name as the mishap Tomcat pilot..

I used to get asked all the time if he was a relative by a certain hinge that thought I "pushed it too hard".. To the point where he thought I was "dangerous".. I kid you not. and this man had less piloting skills than your average H2P..

When I said in an AOM, when asked that AGAIN.. I responded "He's my uncle sir, and I'd appreciate if you STOP making that insinuation that I will mort a crew just because of my name, I'd really appreciate it" and gave him the glare that made him think I was probably going to come across the table and beat the Napoleon syndrome out of him.

(NOTE: LCDR Bates was NOT my uncle, it was a way to get the hinge to STFU that JOPA and the XO were in on)

Is it just me or does MasterBates seem to attract an inordinate number of enemies? ;)

Nose

pilot
Ok, here's another one for you guys,
What does the nickname 'shoe' mean?
V/R
MM2

Blackshoe.

It is a term aviators (Brownshoes) use to describe Surface warriors. It is said with love and respect. Always.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blackshoe.

It is a term aviators (Brownshoes) use to describe Surface warriors. It is said with love and respect. Always.

Note: A blackshoe is also known affectionately as a "shoe", but a brownshoe is never a "shoe". It is also an adjective (as in "he has a shoe mentality").

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was always told it was: Stupidest Humans On Earth :D

Hmm, if you like AW, you might be interested to know it was developed by a "Shoe" and he can strike you down with furious anger because his name is_____

phrogpilot73

I was always told it was: Stupidest Humans On Earth :D
I've heard that before in the past (from a flight instructor). I was not amused. My Dad's an old tin-can sailor Shoe, My uncle was a Shoe, My brother-in-law is a Shoe, and my wife is a Shoe. I would hardly call any of them stupid.

Hmm, if you like AW, you might be interested to know it was developed by a "Shoe" and he can strike you down with furious anger because his name is_____
Although he was known to wear brown on occasion... ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
We never called 'em "shoes" ... just "Blackshoes" .... in fact, that's what they called themselves, sometimes even with pride. :eek: :)

The "shoe" thing must have come about as a result of modern day, can't pronounce the whole word, we're too cool for school laziness ....

Right, Brah??? I mean, Bruddah???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Bogey = ID unknown
Bandit = Bag guy, but not Hostile (i.e., you can't shoot him)
Hostile = Bad guy. Kill him.....

When did the third choice enter the vernacular??? "Bandit" was by definition a "bad guy", therefore: "hostile". Ergo -- kill him.

It's much simpler with just two choices (hmmmm, mebbe we're onto something here?) ... black or white, shoot or don't shoot, good or evil ... no gray areas. :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bogey = ID unknown
Bandit = Bag guy, but not Hostile (i.e., you can't shoot him)
Hostile = Bad guy. Kill him.
"Bandit" was further refined by a color code, i.e. "Blue Bandit" was a MiG-21, a "Red Bandit" was a MiG-19, etc. (And I'm with A-4's – back in the day, "hostile" wasn't really used – that came later. If it was a "Bandit" it was a bad guy and with our ROE, you could shoot him…. Although I thought it might be wise to get the "Cleared to arm, cleared to fire" call too, just to cya.)

I used to think most of these terms were just made up slang until I once found a DoD or Navair publication that officially listed all the brevity codes…and the list was long. Included were the ones I was familiar with – Mother, angels, Texaco, bogie, bandit, bent, buster, gate, music, Judy, splash, slam, scram, window, tally, Winchester, etc, but most were ones I never heard of (mostly ASW or surface warfare terms).

As an aside, some of my old friends from my brand X sister squadron bag some MiGs tonight (Friday 12-7) on the History Channel "Dog Fights" at 2300 (2200 Central time).

Status
Not open for further replies.