• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for Advice or Deals in Jax (Mayport Orders)

dustman

I have orders to NS Mayport from Whiting Field. I have a report date of July 09. I am married, 2 dogs, 2 cats (so apartments are out). Wife would like at least 3 bedrooms. I put on JG in October, so I can afford up to about 1050 a month. As an added complication, my wife plans on getting work at the JAX Zoo, or similar (she is a zoologist.) Does anyone know of a good fit or know of what areas I should avoid when I go on my house hunting leave? Thanks for any help!!!

Circle K

pilot
There are a lot of good places to look in Jax right now. I moved here in mid 2006, right before the market started to slide big time here and as a JG single income (married), we couldn't even look at houses bigger than about 3/2 approx 1250 sq. feet on the "southside" Now, most of those houses are very affordable again. I live on in Oceanway, on the northside. Housing obviously gets quite a bit more expensive once you get inside the 15 minute or less drive to base range. If your wife plans on working at Jax Zoo you may want to look into the northside (Alta or Pulaski exits) since that is a lot closer to the zoo. 1050 a month might still be a little difficult on southside but doable on the northside. Also married JG's get almost 1400 in BAH and if you made JG last october and report to 40 in July you'll only be in your fleet squadron a few months before you make LT and then you'll be over 1500. I can give you a whole lot more specific information in private so that this post doesn't get extremely long. There is a whole other string of info you need about the possibility of your fleet squadron moving to NAS Jax while you are here, about a 50% chance. Hopefully that helps a little, keep asking questions.

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
Isn't Bates' house up for sale or rent over that way? PM MasterBates. He was stationed at Mayport, and should have good ideas, on top of the ideas CK gave you.

Good luck!

p.s. ...stuff... If I weren't completely retarded I would see that CK already covered what I had put in my p.s.

NUFO06

None
I just got back from house hunting in JAX. We picked up a place in Oakleaf Plantation, (Orange Park) lots of beautiful new homes going pretty cheap. We got a 6 month lease on a 1800 square ft 4/2 and we are considering buying the house from the bank becuase its going into foreclosure. I recommend driving around and looking at the different areas. From what I gathered on my few days on house hunting was that traffic sucks and dont live to far from base.

SH-60OB

pilot
One additional thing to put into your equation. 2 of the 4 Squadrons at Mayport are supposed to move to Jax in the timeframe of your first tour. think about. That means you have a 50/50 chance of making that move. I'd look somewhere around the 9A raceway. There has been a ton of construction around the baymeadows area. It gives you about a 20-25 minute drive to either base and about the same to the zoo.

dustman

I wanted to be clear I am an ensign right now and will be JG in October so the BAH is only 1210. Also, I will be at Mayport the entire time, as I was just Redesignated from Aviator to SWO (I know that this makes me a loser etc etc)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Oakleaf Plantation, (Orange Park)

This would be a terrible idea for someone working at NS Mayport. It's a miserable 30+ min drive from there just to NAS Jax. Mayport would be hellacious. The houses are nice, though.

From what I gathered on my few days on house hunting was that traffic sucks and don't live too far from base.
Can't speak to Mayport, but this is 100% true for the rest of Jax. I never thought I'd miss the craziness of SPID, until I moved here.

MasterBates

My house is for sale in Oceanway. My current mortgage payment is ~$920 or so with about a $150/mo util bill on average.

http://poweredby.era.com/erabin/printablelisting?property=2619849&Agent=94266

It took me about ~30 minutes on average from my garage to HSL-40. 21 miles, mostly highway with little traffic. The only traffic jams I ever got in or out was the gate traffic, and unless you live on base, you are going to have to deal with that.

22 miles to NAS JAX, 30 or so to SUBBASE Kings Bay. My ex wife normally did shopping at the JAX commissary, traffic to JAX is about nil because you are going against the flow coming out of Orange Park.

A lot of JAX is easier to get around once you learn how to avoid Atlantic and 17 depending on the time of day.

Close to new shopping center, 3 grocery stores within 2 miles, Wal-Martians are ~1.5 miles, and food within walking distance.

Room for boat/RV, large wooded backyard.

MasterBates

Wow, I just realized my house has new furniture. And has been redecorated. Yeah... She really needs the $2k a month from me just to survive.

Did I mention it's all tile everywhere? I had it built that way so there are no permanent carpets for pets to destroy. Dog has accident or EVIL CAT! pisses on the rug to make you mad, just bring them outside and turn the power washer on. Wash the carpet while you are out as well.

helo_wifey

If you want to buy, we used Jason Mauch the realtor that's selling Master's house and he was great.

Yeah, I would second the part about not living in Orange Park for Mayport. My husband said there were some HSL guys in his SWTI class that were at Mayport and lived near the airport, but I'm not sure what subdivision but I hear it's pretty nice over there.

MasterBates

Jason has been great. I've been dealing with him for 2.5 years now (he's a good agent, but we finally had to break down and get a court order to get the Manatee to lower the price to reality)

He does the USAA Movers' Advantage thing if you are on that program.

And as a side note, if you want to buy my house, she HAS to, by court order accept any reasonable offer that satisfies the mortgage. So if you are on a tight move schedule, by all means make her jump thru hoops.