• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a female perspective on OCS

eyzondapryz

I missed a day and caught up on some great action....Listen everyone I understand and see the perspective coming from all those who bashed me to high hell. I got off the computer and spent a day or so really thinking about things because a lot of what people were saying was hitting home. There was a point where I was like f**k it, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into, I can't hack it, maybe the navy just isn't for me....A sense of failure started to creep inside and I just let it....I am o.k. with my life now, I have a good job doing meaningful work, friends, family, the whole nine. The issue was deeper than getting my haircut. It was fear. Fear of the unknown, who I would be, would I be the same person, will I feel the same way about myself, etc..The answer was "no" to all that, but I was o.k. with that. Actually ecstatic because I felt like I was already changing, for the good. Now this might piss some people off, but I'm going to say it anyways. With me, my hair has always been long, nice and appealing. It was a part of who I was, a vain sense of self that I never had to think of not having. Being attractive is nice and I had to ask myself, "o.k., in 5 or 10 years when I look back on my life will I be content with a decision to turn my back on such an amazing opportunity because I want to remain cute or do I want to push myself, question everything I relied upon before to find I'm stronger, better and a fuller person." There was a point where I said no I want my cush life, oh well. Then after some hearty prayer and real thinking I wholeheartedly came to decide I want to earn my commission. I want it more than anything. Realizing that giving up a small, trivial piece of my appearance to gain so much more in return was so obvious. I felt SOOO stupid, (which I was). I don't care, shave my f**cking head if you want because it doesn't matter. It's more important to grasp the idea of what I'm doing is bigger than me...and better. So despite going to bed and waking up very sore from all the beatings I am so thankful I posted my ridiculous comment. It helped to fuel a introspective process that brought me to point "go". Hey, you never know, I may be pretty sexy with a buzz cut......;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I missed a day and caught up on some great action....Listen everyone I understand and see the perspective coming from all those who bashed me to high hell. I got off the computer and spent a day or so really thinking about things because a lot of what people were saying was hitting home. There was a point where I was like f**k it, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into, I can't hack it, maybe the navy just isn't for me....A sense of failure started to creep inside and I just let it....I am o.k. with my life now, I have a good job doing meaningful work, friends, family, the whole nine. The issue was deeper than getting my haircut. It was fear. Fear of the unknown, who I would be, would I be the same person, will I feel the same way about myself, etc..The answer was "no" to all that, but I was o.k. with that. Actually ecstatic because I felt like I was already changing, for the good. Now this might piss some people off, but I'm going to say it anyways. With me, my hair has always been long, nice and appealing. It was a part of who I was, a vain sense of self that I never had to think of not having. Being attractive is nice and I had to ask myself, "o.k., in 5 or 10 years when I look back on my life will I be content with a decision to turn my back on such an amazing opportunity because I want to remain cute or do I want to push myself, question everything I relied upon before to find I'm stronger, better and a fuller person." There was a point where I said no I want my cush life, oh well. Then after some hearty prayer and real thinking I wholeheartedly came to decide I want to earn my commission. I want it more than anything. Realizing that giving up a small, trivial piece of my appearance to gain so much more in return was so obvious. I felt SOOO stupid, (which I was). I don't care, shave my f**cking head if you want because it doesn't matter. It's more important to grasp the idea of what I'm doing is bigger than me...and better. So despite going to bed and waking up very sore from all the beatings I am so thankful I posted my ridiculous comment. It helped to fuel a introspective process that brought me to point "go". Hey, you never know, I may be pretty sexy with a buzz cut......;)

She may be slow....but not stupid. It appears you just needed some skull-beating to get sense into it.

And you will NOT look good with a buzz cut. NO ONE does. But if you think you have a shot, PM me. :D

Piacevole

eyzondapryz, I'm glad you've had your revelation, but now that you have, please don't post any other comments involving vain trivial things like getting a haircut. I am a woman, and as Hal said above, it is comments like that that reinforce the female stereotype. We'll never be taken seriously if we don't tough up and take it like a man.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
okay, so i wrote that comment just a couple days ago (or was it yesterday????). i didn't read everything in between then and now ... it seemed to get pretty intense. anyway... .

Says it all right there...yeah..."pretty intense"...like a single engine carrier landing at night pretty intense?

WIDGET

lol. ok, well... not that intense. i get excited about a dang night flight in a Cessna 152! (baby steps)
eyzondapryz, by the end of it, ABSOLUTELY i would have let them shave it for a commission in the united states navy. i just wanted you to know that there are people out there who can relate. and everyone does it. you won't be the only one walking around with a nasty looking bowl-cut from the NEX. and during OCS, you really will appreciate it... as you'll soon know. some advice - before you start OCS, you probably want to have it long enough to pull it back or so short that it can't reach your mouth. my first few meals at OCS I had to eat my hair. While entertaining to the Candi-o's, it made eating very difficult. (as if it doesn't suck enough)
Phrog'sshoewife - thanks for reminding me this is voluntary. and i completely agree, in the "grand scheme" it is a petty issue. when it's compared to landing on a carrier it's almost funny how petty it is. but i can't lie to myself and say it didn't bother me to get it cut. i was rubbing the back of my head for the week after, while it was nice not needing conditioner.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Just out of curiosity, I am going to OCS in January, where do they run and do stuff? I have never been to Rhode Island, but I assume they get snow and cold there as well.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Just out of curiosity, I am going to OCS in January, where do they run and do stuff? I have never been to Rhode Island, but I assume they get snow and cold there as well.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Outside in the snow and inside a small gym going in circles.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Outside in the snow and inside a small gym going in circles.

peachesnel

Cutting your hair isn't that great of a sacrafic. If you think it is, then maybe you need to rethink what you are getting into. There will be much greater real sacrifices asked of you if you make it through OCS.

There are women serving all over the world, especially in Iraq and Afghanistan, that would be laughing their asses off right now if they read your post.

But all those women bitched and moaned, either out loud or to themselves, about their required haircuts. You try feeling like a butch truck driver for months on end. I wasn't really bothered until I saw my husband for the first time and that was 3 months after the haircut.

utak

Looking at the big picture, it's only 3-4 months of put out for a lifetime of pride, no?

(it took me 4 months after graduation to go from OCS scrotum head back to California surfer hair :))

eyzondapryz

DSL, hey do you know if OCS has the same thing going on for donating it to locks of love...It's funny you should mention that because that is exactly what I want to do!

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
DSL, hey do you know if OCS has the same thing going on for donating it to locks of love...It's funny you should mention that because that is exactly what I want to do!

i don't know, but you can always cut it off before you go and donate it to locks of love yourself, you know. :icon_wink