• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for a Doc reccomendation

SpiderUSMC

Looking into PRK options in my area. I haven't had to go to an eye Doc (until now of course) in the area so I'm unsure of what's here.

So....Anyone know any good Dr.'s in the Greenville, SC area?

I'll consider all of the Upstate (South Carolina), Columbia, Charlotte, Atlanta, and the Greensboro/Triad area. Heck, I could even swing the Raleigh/Triangle of NC area.

Either specific Dr.'s or how you found yours would be appreciated.

sundevil

Hey man, I got PRK, but I got it down in California. Regardless, make sure they do WAVEFRONT PRK, its the newest kind and it really is the top of the line. You only get one shot, make sure its done by somebody whos using the best technology.

SpiderUSMC

It's funny, I've had two doctor's who do Custom PRK (if I'm understanding them right, the same as wavefront) and tell me that they don't reccommend it because they can't tell any difference and they don't feel the technology is "stable" yet and "keeps changing everyday".

I'm trying to figure out if they have screws loose or what. All my online research would point to Custom being a better idea but I've had two seperate M.D.'s tell me the Custom doesn't make any difference.

katiegirl

SNA wife
Charleston Corneal and Refractive Surgery (http://www.charlestoncornea.com/)

My husband had his surgery done there (as did most of the guys from the Citadel) and he had a great experience. They were very professional, and since they deal with so many military contracts, they were quick about getting paperwork to the right people for waivers and physicals. Dr. David O'Day was his surgeon, apparently he's one of the top 10 guys in the country for this kind of thing and the success rate at their practice is amazing. PM me if you want more info about it.

nugget81

pilot
SpiderUSMC said:
All my online research would point to Custom being a better idea but I've had two seperate M.D.'s tell me the Custom doesn't make any difference.

My doctor said the same thing - that custom would not benefit me enough to account for the additional cost. I had standard PRK done and I have been extremely happy with it.

SpiderUSMC

nugget81 said:
My doctor said the same thing - that custom would not benefit me enough to account for the additional cost. I had standard PRK done and I have been extremely happy with it.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if it's just these two doctor's personal preferences or something with a medical basis.