• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lockheed Pitching Revamped Viking to Fill Carrier Cargo and Tanking Roles

Pags

N/A
pilot
My opinion/observations are obviously not shared by some of the other folks here - that's fine. I will offer that LHD's to CVN's is apples to oranges.

Had CVW-3 integrated its second helo squadron at that point?
At some point landing a large RW/TR aircraft next to other aircraft is a discussion about fruit and is kind of platform independent. Discussions about deck cycle impacts are valid and if the V-22 is ID'd as the solution CVNs and CAGs may just have to suck up or work with/around those impacts just as they will have to deal with any potential impacts/growing pains that come with any new platform. V-22 integration on LHDs was by no means seamless and came with more than it's fair share of growing pains that included LHDs having to have shipalts, provide night move crews that they weren't manned for, figuring out how to stow a bigger aircraft in a constand sized deck, impacts on the Air Plan, and many other factors that included the Blue/Green team inadverntently crippling the V-22 maintenance efforts by cooking the hangar bridge crane. Having gone through these pains, I understand the resisitance, but at the end of the day we didn't have a choice, we just had to make it work.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will offer that LHD's to CVN's is apples to oranges.

To put it in simpler terms, the flight deck of a CVN is the center of the universe in the blue water navy and everything revolves around the force projection of the CVW. In the L-class navy, the flight deck is the place where they hold muster and steel beach while the hangar bay should be organized in a manner best suited for the talent show or CPO PT. The gray aircraft are simply in the way.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Had CVW-3 integrated its second helo squadron at that point?
Not sure, and I know you have a ton more CVN time than I. My point was BOXER deployed as the first, west coast V-22 ACE. CVN's are going to see a lot more Ospreys coming to their deck for PMC. How the airwing (and handler) chooses to deal with this is up to them, but they're still coming.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't mean to say you didn't get the dynamics, I was thinking maybe you thought we actually had steering. That makes me curious if any western helo does.

Are the -53/-65/numerous civilian models free-castering on their nose wheel, as well?.

No worries, didn't think you were challenging my grasp of the physics. Not sure about civ models. I had a Reserve buddy in the UK that was with the Merlin program. He said the NH-90 had wheel steering. My nephew flies CH-47 and just last month he showed me the odd -47 arrangement. Their back wheels steer. One is castering the other is hydraulic power steering. Also remember seeing a demo of the Sky Crane, the old CH-54 or current civ S-64. It had nose wheel steering

Pags

N/A
pilot
To put it in simpler terms, the flight deck of a CVN is the center of the universe in the blue water navy and everything revolves around the force projection of the CVW. In the L-class navy, the flight deck is the place where they hold muster and steel beach while the hangar bay should be organized in a manner best suited for the talent show or CPO PT. The gray aircraft are simply in the way.
Flight deck? You must mean the running track/parade ground. Hangar bay? You must mean the MCMAP gym, grunt weapon test area, and gun/litening pod storage area.

Renegade One

None
Not familiar with the C-2D CATBAR…was this a melding of a Greyhound on Steroids with Viking-like TF engines?

The COD stuff was and remains important…I've been served by many variants…C-1 TRADERS, C-2 GREYHOUNDS, and the 1 or 2 S-3 "Miss Piggys" that used to serve in the IO. And obviously all the RW assets when avail, either from CLF or ashore.

Anyone know if there exists any sort of "requirements doc" for a future airframe? Range, IFR-capable (both give and take), max load, required internal carry dimensions (I keep hearing that the F-135 might be a LIMFAC, but I have no idea), yadda yadda yadda…?