• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living on The Boat

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Things I saw/did:

- bread maker
- daily pizzas on the COD (but that's just good headwork)
- griddle
- living on meal replacement bars/ramen
- powdered protein
- foreman grill

Zone inspection in sleepy hollow = no fucks given

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bread maker! That strikes me as hilarious for some reason. Whatever the boat people may tolerate, I'm thinking the logistical challenges of keeping enough food around, keeping it fresh/refrigerated in between port calls would be ass-pain prohibitive.

robav8r

None
Contributor
The Electrician's Mates don't even want you plugging in your cell phone charger without getting it inspected and approved by them. I have seen non-certified electronics get their cords cut.
The electrical safety folks get way out of hand sometimes. They tried pulling that shit (sir, if your cords aren't inspected and tagged, were cutting them and confiscating the device) on several boats I've been on - you have to push back and let them know that your stateroom is completely off limits to them aside from the actual inspection. If they have a problem with something, they should route the discrepancy up their chain, but they should never, ever touch your stuff.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Zone inspection in sleepy hollow = no fucks given
GQ drill on USS Boat. JO jungle all present, accounted for, and collectively kicking my ass at Call of Duty. Seriously, I suck. I qualled expert with a real weapon, but can't hit shit with an XBox controller. Next thing you know, the AC vent starts smoking. OK, F that; not playing their reindeer games. Game on! Wait. Shit. It's getting hard to see in here. Crap. "DC Central? Yeah, we're in compartment 02-XX-X-L and we've got real smoke coming out of our vents. Yes, really."

(Ding dong, silly whistle) "Actual casualty, actual casualty . . . white smoke white smoke white smoke . . . white smoke in compartment 02-XX-X-L." Commence DC people interrupting my virtual asskicking and swarming all over the stateroom. Only to discover someone had hooked up the fake smoke generator to the wrong duct and pumped our room full of fake smoke for someone else's drill. Guess who made the airplan cartoon the next day.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It was great when we had an actual man overboard while in port. Rather than the drill, it was literally MoB bells, then "uh ermagawd man overboard" a few mins later. Nobody had any idea what to do since obviously that muster is never happening at 2100 in Dubai.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you have an actual MOB in port, seems silly to go through the motions of doing a ship-wide muster. Just recover the person that went in the water and call it good, no?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you have an actual MOB in port, seems silly to go through the motions of doing a ship-wide muster. Just recover the person that went in the water and call it good, no?
Shipboard drill: People lathargically go to assigned stations throughout the ship and performed rehearsed actions.
Shipboard casualty: People run to the scene, crowd the space, and stand in awe without any plan, knowledge, or initiative of what to do next.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

yeah that's what ended up happening, but my point was that the guys had no idea what to do when it actually happened. Which is why I think ship's drills are amusing......great if things happen like the script says, but in life, rarely does that ever happen. Unfortunately their "training", which I think is anything but realistic or useful, also ends any semblance of a useful night of sleep when you made the 0100 recovery, get to sleep at 0200, have a brief at 10 the next morning, and get woken up by GQ at 0700. God help the ship that gets hit by a real missile on the other side.....

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

yeah that's what ended up happening, but my point was that the guys had no idea what to do when it actually happened. Which is why I think ship's drills are amusing......great if things happen like the script says, but in life, rarely does that ever happen. Unfortunately their "training", which I think is anything but realistic or useful, also ends any semblance of a useful night of sleep when you made the 0100 recovery, get to sleep at 0200, have a brief at 10 the next morning, and get woken up by GQ at 0700. God help the ship that gets hit by a real missile on the other side.....

We had a MOB inport on my first ship, by the time anyone realized what had happened the guy had been fished out. Some guy decided he wanted to commit suicide by jumping off the ship in the middle of winter, until he hit the water and decided he wanted to live and screamed for help, a conventional MM on "donut watch" jumped in the water and fished him out, the guy was a great swimmer and had more hair on him than a bear, so he repelled water :D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a MOB inport Dubai. Man overboard was called, but since it happened on the pier, they just fished out the two knuckleheads that drove the bucket crane over the side of the camel. Something about moment arm....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In which five-sixths of a stateroom full of nuggets come perilously close to convincing themselves that one of their number fell overboard . . .

So there we were, in the beginning of workups. As the day winds down, and we get ready to turn in, we notice one of our number is not in the room. "OK, that's weird, has anyone seen [insert callsign here]?" The reply was four variants of "Nope, last I saw him was [insert mundane boat life activity here]." Last contact quite a while ago. Wow, and it's late now, even for JOs. Maybe we should try to find him. Just to be safe.

Commence five JOs splitting up and wandering around everywhere one might find said aviator or a clue to his whereabouts. Ready room? Nope. Wardrooms? Nope. Nope. Squadron spaces? Nope times twelve. Et cetera, et cetera. Nothing. Hmm. This might actually be serious. What should we do? Run it up the chop chain? Tell the SDO? Let's make one more circuit of Mom first to make sure we didn't miss him. So we repeat the cycle, I believe to the point of someone grabbing a float coat and flashlight and going topside. 20 minutes later . . . nothing. Now we're starting to get worried.

So there we are huddled around in our stateroom seriously discussing how to deal with this, when in pops our missing roommate. For a beat, there is complete silence, and we end up just staring at him with our serious faces on until he goes "Wow! This isn't awkward at all!" :p

We really had been collectively wandering around for like an hour, in complete sync with his own wandering around, so as never to run into him and make it look like he fell over the side of the boat.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Was anyone else "missing" at the same time as your roomie? I still wonder where people "go" when there is nowhere to go. Not that I really ever want to find out.

And, to the OP, have a place of your own that is not on the boat.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can one just live in the fan room?
Too cold and noisy. During my 06 west-coast CVN deployment, the ship's leadership thought they would tamp down fan room encounters by creating a SOTS (Sex On The Ship) team where after taps, they would sneak around various random fan rooms looking for people in the act. I think it has some effect....