• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Live in Seattle, commute (ferry) to the carrier in Bremerton?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Should be a piece of cake. It's actually very do-able. Were you planning on driving or being a 'walk-aboard'??

Where do you want to live in SEA?? Walking distance of the ferry on the downtown side??

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I can only speak from the experience of when I visited a buddy who was stationed at Bremerton, but it seemed like it would be a great way to commute, especially if you biked it both ways. You'd probably beat the traffic onto and off the ferry.

donmagicjuan

Don't. Bite. Your friends!
pilot
While stationed at PSNS I knew guys who did it, and I did it myself for three years going the other way to UW before commissioning. I agree that it's pretty feasible, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't get old after a while. Walk-on/cycling would be the way to go, since the ferry terminal is practically adjacent to the shipyard (cyclists also get preferential loading/unloading). Driving on is nice in some respects but can potentially become cost-prohibitive. Not to mention the added hassle of parking and occasionally missing a boat when they reach max capacity.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
While stationed at PSNS I knew guys who did it, and I did it myself for three years going the other way to UW before commissioning. I agree that it's pretty feasible, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't get old after a while. Walk-on/cycling would be the way to go, since the ferry terminal is practically adjacent to the shipyard (cyclists also get preferential loading/unloading). Driving on is nice in some respects but can potentially become cost-prohibitive. Not to mention the added hassle of parking and occasionally missing a boat when they reach max capacity.

Not to mention that riding your bike in the rain clad in expensive gore-tex gear is the only real way to embrace PNW life :)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Not to mention that riding your bike in the rain clad in expensive gore-tex gear is the only real way to embrace PNW life :)

You mean all that Gucci rain gear the Navy handed out like it was Christmas last February? I couldn't honestly think I'd need 1300 dollars worth of gortex capable of assaulting any of the mountains in the Cascade range. They must want me to go do a disassociated in Washington, and ride my bike in the rain. Can't wait.

Lucy

Welcome to the PNW. Although it rains "often" and for 6-8 months at a time, still rather wonderful. And if at all possible avoid driving in Seattle.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Bremerton (my Dad's high-school & 'home-port') ... AFTER WW2 ... 'used' to be the repository of the dead ships and not-so-dead ships ... in other words, mothball-city and/or hard-core we're gonna' gut you yard refits ... :)

Now days ... I think it passes as a 'home port' w/ Everett (Everett: which shoulda' been Port Angeles -- but thanks, anyway, Scoop :icon_wink) ... but Bremerton: it's totally UNSAT as Rich Passage (Goggle it F.Y.I. ) has 'problems', is easily shut down, and presents a choke-point problem for any ships trying to get OUT of Bremerton and to Puget Sound and thence .... to the big PAC sea ...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Rich Passage (Goggle it F.Y.I. ) has 'problems', is easily shut down, and presents a choke-point problem for any ships trying to get OUT of Bremerton and to Puget Sound and thence .... to the big PAC sea ...

As opposed to Mayport, Norfolk, San Diego, San Fransisco? They all are pretty much one exit vulnerable places, SF may be the best just for sheer size but how wide is the channel ?

East

东部
Contributor
You can also take a 750cc Triumph T140E Bonneville (1978) to commute...
(That's Bremerton in the background...'82-ish345.jpg)