• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Little known / experimental aircraft

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sik_s-56-aew_1.jpg
Found this the other day while looking for the end of the Internet: Sikorsky HR2S-1W. Prototype HR2S (aka H-37) converted for AEW. Didn't work so well - piston engine helo shaking the hell out of 1950's electronics. Good example of the idea outrunning the technology.

I am curious why this was thought necessary at the time. Harrier Carriers weren't yet a thing.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
sik_s-56-aew_1.jpg
Found this the other day while looking for the end of the Internet: Sikorsky HR2S-1W. Prototype HR2S (aka H-37) converted for AEW. Didn't work so well - piston engine helo shaking the hell out of 1950's electronics. Good example of the idea outrunning the technology.

I am curious why this was thought necessary at the time. Harrier Carriers weren't yet a thing.

The Brits thought it was a good enough idea. This thing still flies.

1280px-thumbnail.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Brits thought it was a good enough idea. This thing still flies.

1280px-thumbnail.jpg

Oh I know, and the new SKASaC birds are pretty cool too, but it's an idea born of necessity; i.e., how to get AEW on a Harrier Carrier when those are the only carriers you've got. What I was curious about was why the Navy was interested in an AEW helo back in the '50s when there were more than enough conventional carriers to go around.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I can see why all those vacuum tubes didn't like that bird. It did earn its stripes as the Corps heavy lift bird prior to the 53.

BleedGreen

pilot
deliveryService

I found the replacement for the TH-57.

Have there been any recent attempts at designing a helicopter with rotor tip engines?

Pags

N/A
pilot
sik_s-56-aew_1.jpg

Because it was the 50s and money and good idea fairies were plentiful?

Sikorsky archive said Navy testing resulted in the decision to use FW AEW aircraft vice a RW due to better performance.
http://www.sikorskyarchives.com/S+56 HR2S-1H-37.php

Last edited:

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I can't remember if Young or Crippen was the one who was interviewed about the ejection decision. Apparently anytime they were in the seat's envelope, they would have been ejecting through the exhaust of the SRBs, so words to the more tactful effect of "Fuck no."

It was John Young in an interview for Playboy. Only reason I remember was that I did my Senior High research paper on Columbia's first flight and my teacher failed me because she didn't consider Playboy to be an appropriate source. The head of the English Department felt otherwise.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Cool (no pun intended). Electric motors still get hot, but probably not near as hot as an internal combustion or turbine engine. FWIW, I was looking at a LongEZ on the FLIR today. Having the exhaust go through the prop at the back diffused a LOT of IR signature! A small 100-ish hp engine probably contributed as well. I know UES have a lot less contrast on the FLIR than HIRSS, which have less contrast than straight exhaust on the H-60.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Maybe the way to beat a heat-seeking manpad is to have an electric aircraft? After watching that Cobra take a missile last week, you start to wonder about every alternative...

Engines aren't the only heat source on an aircraft and modern 'imagining IR' SAM's take advantage of it.