• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Light attack aircraft vs. ISIL?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
http://warisboring.com/articles/to-...e-america-should-unleash-light-attack-planes/
To Strike the Islamic State, America Should Unleash Light Attack Planes

The good idea fairy strikes again. Only, this is a terrible, terrible idea.

Kurdish propeller-driven combat aircraft would get obliterated by Syria-based Russian Sukhois, MiGs, Hinds, S-400s... and Turkish F-16s. Plus, whatever ISIL has for ground-to-air.

Not to mention, we'd probably eff up the acquisition contract for it:
http://archive.defensenews.com/arti.../Beechcraft-Again-Challenge-USAF-LAS-Decision

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check it out sometime. Also: vice, war on the rocks, real clear defense.

Yeah, I have and am not so impressed. War is Boring is pretty bad for clickbait and pretty unoriginal reporting, it often just regurgitates what a lot of other press has already covered but with an attention-grabbing headline, dumbed down and in much bigger font. Vice and War on the Rocks aren't nearly as bad but their reporting often lacks depth, for all three it also annoys me to have to scroll down every 3 seconds to keep reading with their font so damn big. All together; the big font, shorter stories and the attention-grabbing headlines, it seems like they gear themselves specifically towards readers with short attention spans.

danpass

I wonder how the Super Tucano would do ....

[WOTR recently had Secretary Carter on for a podcast. (for WOTR's stuff I listen more than read.)]

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder how the Super Tucano would do ....

It would likely do fine but it's utility would be limited to a permissive operating environment. It would also be hampered by it's lack of inflight refueling since many of its US bases in the region are some distance away from their targets.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Again, no shortage of strike production - it will take good guys on the ground, with a rifle, to take and hold grid squares.