• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life of a Naval Aviator, how you manage work and personal life.

WannaFlyHigh

Hey been doing some research and can’t seem to find a straight answer. Does a WSO in the super hornet or EWO in a growler have final release controls for any weapons systems? If so which weapons systems? I know they laze targets for air to ground, but do they have final release? Thanks.
Wrong thread, buddy ?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I can see how this totally relevant to the thread. One must know whether one is responsible for weapons release if one is to know how to manage work/life balance.
Especially in this day and age, where the size of your button clearly contributes to your work/life balance.

WannaFlyHigh

Random question and wasn’t sure where to ask this.

Is it worth it to get a travel perks credit card? I’m pretty solid with financial management and I wanted to get a credit card that would allow me to gain points for travel and lodging.

I’m sure I wont be traveling a ton on my dime during my time in ocs and flight school but I want to be able to fly my family and loved ones down to me once in a while if possible.

Is this an idea that would be reasonable or just not worth it? I know many people open up accounts with Navy Federal Credit Union and USAA but not sure what those places offer.

Last edited:

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Random question and wasn’t sure where to ask this.

Is it worth it to get a travel perks credit card? I’m pretty solid with financial management and I wanted to get a credit card that would allow me to gain points for travel and lodging.

I’m sure I want be traveling a ton on my dime during my time in ocs and flight school but I want to be able to fly my family and loved ones down to me once in a while if possible.

Is this an idea that would be reasonable or just not worth it? I know many people open up accounts with Navy Federal Credit Union and USAA but not sure what those places offer.
Chase Sapphire Reserve, using points I paid for round trip airfare for a family of five to Japan with it.

Airport lounge benefits, travel perks, point redemptions, etc. I could go on and on but overall very worth it.

WannaFlyHigh

Chase Sapphire Reserve, using points I paid for round trip airfare for a family of five to Japan with it.

Airport lounge benefits, travel perks, point redemptions, etc. I could go on and on but overall very worth it.
that sounds outstanding. Will definitely look into it now.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Would recommend having both. However, depending on how “by the book” your Admin department is, using your personal card for government-funded travel may be a no go. Definitely worth it for personal and family travel though, and they have good non-travel perks as well (streaming credit, Uber credits, free Walmart Plus membership come to mind for the Platinum at least.)

cyrusu

pilot
Hey all. So I'm in primary at the moment, and I anticipate being done around November. My question is how did y'all go about dating while in flight school? Did you not go for anything serious given you'd be moving soon, or just go with the flow? I'm caught between a rock and a hard place on how to proceed with someone I'm casually seeing. Any and all advice is appreciated

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Hey all. So I'm in primary at the moment, and I anticipate being done around November. My question is how did y'all go about dating while in flight school? Did you not go for anything serious given you'd be moving soon, or just go with the flow? I'm caught between a rock and a hard place on how to proceed with someone I'm casually seeing. Any and all advice is appreciated
Hit it and quit it. Save yourself the headaches ?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

I met my now-wife early in flight school. We dated, got engaged, and got married, all within about a year and a half. We knew it was right, so we committed. I picked my advanced duty station preference based on our engagement, and was fortunate enough to get it. That doesn't always happen. I saw lots of guys struggle with long-distance relationships and/or girlfriends and even wives who either a.) wouldn't move, or b.) moved but weren't willing to integrate into life in a new location. All those relationships failed, and a few of them had a negative effect on the guy's progression through the syllabus or squadron tour.

I wouldn't play the long-distance game if you're not serious. It won't last, especially once you hit the FRS and the fleet. The Navy is more than demanding enough. If she's coming with you (and she has to come with you), she has to be committed to the relationship and the move.

[tl;dr] I recommend going with the flow. Flight school only happens once, and you're making friends and professional connections you'll have for your entire career.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I met my now-wife early in flight school. We dated, got engaged, and got married, all within about a year and a half. We knew it was right, so we committed. I picked my advanced duty station preference based on our engagement, and was fortunate enough to get it. That doesn't always happen. I saw lots of guys struggle with long-distance relationships and/or girlfriends and even wives who either a.) wouldn't move, or b.) moved but weren't willing to integrate into life in a new location. All those relationships failed, and a few of them had a negative effect on the guy's progression through the syllabus or squadron tour.

I wouldn't play the long-distance game if you're not serious. It won't last, especially once you hit the FRS and the fleet. The Navy is more than demanding enough. If she's coming with you (and she has to come with you), she has to be committed to the relationship and the move.

[tl;dr] I recommend going with the flow. Flight school only happens once, and you're making friends and professional connections you'll have for your entire career.

Speaking from experience, if your relationship is going to work in the Navy, she's got to come with you and be willing to integrate into the world of Navy wives. That means doing Navy wife things and being part of the group. Otherwise she is going to be isolated when you have to go to the boat or travel for work-ups or stand duty or work night shift. You will then come home to a pissed-off wife who hates your guts because she's been thinking about how easy your life is (It wasn't) while you were gone meanwhile she had to sit at home and deal with the kids and the leaky faucet and the flat tire on her car and there was nobody to help babysit or commiserate with.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Left the BMWs of South Texas for Austin (highly recommended). Met my now wife right after I winged. Long distance for a year. Lived together for another year and half, then she went to med school. Did ~5 years of long distance while she was in med school and I did my deployment and shore tour. Got out at MSR to accommodate her career. Not a single regret. Agree that your plus one needs to be onboard with the Navy life and go into it eyes wide open. That definitely doesn't totally giving up on professional ambitions to hawk MLMs, but it's definitely a hard road to hoe.

Do what's right for you, don't try and carbon copy someone else's decisions, and don't take advice from random people on the internet.