• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life insurance

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
250/mo for 30 years for a 150k payout is a bad use of your hard earned money. The same amount, compounded at the generic 8% that many use for historic hypothetical stock market returns, comes out to ~372k. A more realistic 5% would yield 208,000. As several have stated, any type of insurance policy other than term is inappropriate for all except high earners that have already exhausted all tax advantaged space.

I have 250k USAA policy to supplement my SGLI for $15.00/mo. Cheap.

exNavyOffRec

250/mo for 30 years for a 150k payout is a bad use of your hard earned money. The same amount, compounded at the generic 8% that many use for historic hypothetical stock market returns, comes out to ~372k. A more realistic 5% would yield 208,000. As several have stated, any type of insurance policy other than term is inappropriate for all except high earners that have already exhausted all tax advantaged space.

I have 250k USAA policy to supplement my SGLI for $15.00/mo. Cheap.

but I would have needed term anyway, so the available money I would have had to invest would have been 100 for rough math, actual number is 85, so that 85 at 30 years would have only given me about 120K

my actual payment is 235/month, my term cost would have been 150/month

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
2 things: thank goodness I asked this question and glad I got that accounting degree. At least now some people can see some pros and cons thrown around to make some educated decisions later on, whatever their situation may be. I think I'll take anywhere from 250k-400k SGLI pending my situation, @ $15-$26, and stick 300 into the Traditional IRA and 158 into the roth. Still clearing a solid amount as an 0-1 with car payment and insurance. Getting $3,600 tax deduction from the T-IRA and $1,900 a year in capital gain tax free contributions per the Roth. If a 26 y.o. were to do that and earn 6% over the life of the investment(vesting at 62) they would get $454,565 T-IRA and $239,404. 700k sounds alright and again if I fall in the ocean I still have the SGLI for the family to fall back on. Again this doesn't account for any investments outside of IRA's such as real estate or non retirement accounts and the wife's money as well. Only question left is will there still be an military retirement agreements in 20 years?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Only question left is will there still be an military retirement agreements in 20 years?
Good question. CNO has indicated that there are currently no plans to change the retirement system as it is, and in the event of future changes, those already in service will be grandfathered in. So if that's true, we're good to go.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Over the last 15 years, the S&P has grown at about 3-4%. Same for DJIA. That doesn't adjust for inflation, so your real returns are around 1-2%, and most of that growth was in 2013.

2 things: thank goodness I asked this question and glad I got that accounting degree. At least now some people can see some pros and cons thrown around to make some educated decisions later on, whatever their situation may be. I think I'll take anywhere from 250k-400k SGLI pending my situation, @ $15-$26, and stick 300 into the Traditional IRA and 158 into the roth. Still clearing a solid amount as an 0-1 with car payment and insurance. Getting $3,600 tax deduction from the T-IRA and $1,900 a year in capital gain tax free contributions per the Roth. If a 26 y.o. were to do that and earn 6% over the life of the investment(vesting at 62) they would get $454,565 T-IRA and $239,404. 700k sounds alright and again if I fall in the ocean I still have the SGLI for the family to fall back on. Again this doesn't account for any investments outside of IRA's such as real estate or non retirement accounts and the wife's money as well. Only question left is will there still be an military retirement agreements in 20 years?
It's been a while since I crunched the numbers as a single Ensign, but I believe that investing in a traditional IRA/TSP is of negative value to you. Your tax return is going to show $25k-ish in taxable income, which will put you at an actual tax rate of ~10-12% if you just factor base pay. Factor in BAH and the state tax exemption a lot of states give to military, and your actual marginal tax rate should be in the 6-8% range. Take off more if you are paying off student loans. If you go into traditional IRA, all those withdrawals are going to get taxed by both federal and the state where you retire and you're probably banking that you are going to collect significantly more than Ensign pay when you retire. The extra $3,600 of income at 15% tax rate saves you a whopping $540 a year in federal tax liability now, but the tax man is going to recuperate that and then some when you retire. If you're still single as an O-3 and start to have income that reaches the 25% bracket, then using the traditional option might be worth it.

TSP didn't have a Roth option when I first commissioned, the mantra was "max out a Roth IRA, then put money into TSP."

Well, now TSP has a Roth option, so unless you are really good with picking stocks and absolutely must have the greater control that comes with an IRA through a broker, then TSP is your best bet due to their really low fee structure (0.004% vs. 0.05-0.25%, depending on how much you can put in). After you've contributed your max of $17,500 to TSP, you could look toward another IRA.

Good question. CNO has indicated that there are currently no plans to change the retirement system as it is, and in the event of future changes, those already in service will be grandfathered in. So if that's true, we're good to go.
The VCNO said that no changes to retirement were in the works that would affect current AD servicemembers or retirees. Two weeks later Congress altered the CPI increases to current retirees.

Last edited:

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
it really is different for everyone though, since I don't plan on going the whole life route my IRA will be used as a backup to my SGLI since if I die after I get out of the service my Traditional funds can cover death and disability related expenses tax free. At some point my ROTH will get the max amount, naturally. I still need to research the TSP option but my current structure has been working given my situation before entering the Navy and I plan to actively manage my portfolio. Again there isnt a single one size fits all. Currently the tax deduction helps me greatly so that's where I'm at.

xltn

Over the last 15 years, the S&P has grown at about 3-4%. Same for DJIA. That doesn't adjust for inflation, so your real returns are around 1-2%, and most of that growth was in 2013.
I disagree. This is the annual return of from 1996-2013 (from left to right) for Large stocks, small stock, long-term corp bonds, LT gov. bonds, treasury bills, Inflation.
http://i60.tinypic.com/2zhf7sn.jpg
tinypic.com

Last edited:

P3 F0

None
Yeah. CNO's words are good for... how much longer is he in that billet? For those just entering the service, I would not have a warm fuzzy about a 20/yr 50% retirement check. I think the odds are decent that the status quo will remain. On the other hand, considering the financial pain that we're experiencing seems to be a bit more severe than usual, I think if the cuts deepen over the next few years, you never know what will suddenly appear as low-hanging fruit for the Congressional bean counters.

xltn

the report I attached is from Morning Star(for premium user only). I'm currently playing with peer-to-peer lending, give me 8.24% after fees.