• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lied at MEPS and applied to Federal Agency - Need to take polygraph soon

johnson96

Open to all branches
I listened to my recruiter to lie about my experimental marijuana usage at MEPS & on my SF-86 for my OCS application. He said it was no big deal and if I admitted there is almost no chance I would get into these programs. Recently, he told me I was granted secret clearance or interim secret clearance for OCS (I can’t remember which). My MEPS paperwork has been approved and will not be further reviewed. I have not been accepted into OCS and do not have the results from the selection committee yet. The position I applied for requires a Top Secret clearance from what I was told is you don't apply for it until after OCS.

Also, I applied to a Federal Agency and will be taking a polygraph soon. I was asked to complete a questionnaire regarding past drug use and to provide a written statement about my experimentation. I have not admitted to it yet. Drug use is allowed as long as it hasn’t been within the last 3 years. Mine wasn't within the last 3 years. I will have to redo my SF-86 for this Federal Agency after the polygraph is complete.

I am a worried by admitting to drug use to the Federal Agency during the questionnaire and polygraph that I will be DQ'd from commissioning into the military (if accepted into OCS) since it does not align with my MEPS & SF-86 paperwork that I submitted.

My recruiter gave me the shovel and I dug myself into the grave. I understand what I did was wrong. I am not looking for any rude comments about what I did. I am looking for advice in moving forward.

My questions:
  1. Would admitting to drug usage to a federal agency disqualify my application for OCS?
  2. Could the military find out about my questionnaire responses admitting to drug use from a Federal Agency?
  3. What path is best for me to take in this situation?

These are my potential options:
  1. Stick to what I said & not to admit anything on the polygraph (which could mean I fail the poly and am banned from the agency)
  2. Drop the Federal Agency application (which could leave me without a job with the Navy if denied for my OCS program)
  3. Admit to the usage during the polygraph and paperwork (if I get into OCS and choose that path then I may run into issues when they do the top secret clearance down the road OR possibly DQ entry into OCS for lying at MEPS???)
  4. Any other ideas?

I am not looking to dig my grave any deeper but, I am not looking to shoot myself in the foot either.

Last edited:

johnson96

Open to all branches
Come clean, it was experimental it wasn't like you were smoking it daily for years. Your recruiter was wrong to lead you down that path.
Yeah that was my plan but, it's too late for the military now.

If I'm honest with the Federal Agency about my usage during the polygraph and written statements, could that disqualify me from the military? I will need to get Top Secret Clearance later down the road.

I don't want to shoot myself in the foot for both programs.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
What were the results of your experiment? ?

Just tell the truth. Don't try to game the system.

I've got a close relative in Federal LE who has had conversations with a few polygraphers. They hear some weird shit from applicants.

Also, you're first name isn't Hunter is it? Because you know, you'll get piss-tested at OCS.

Last edited:

johnson96

Open to all branches
What were the results of your experiment? ?

Just tell the truth. Don't try to game the system.

I've got a close relative in Federal LE who has had conversations with a few polygraphers. They hear some weird shit from applicants.

Also, you're first name isn't Hunter is it? Because you know, you'll get piss-tested at OCS.
I'm not a user. I maybe used marijuana 3x in my life. I pissed clean at MEPS.

Also, no I'm not him.

By telling the truth during the poly and written. Would that screw me over for the military? Would they even know the results?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm not a user. I maybe used marijuana 3x in my life. I pissed clean at MEPS.

Also, no I'm not him.

By telling the truth during the poly and written. Would that screw me over for the military? Would they even know the results?

That's it? 3x uses? That doesn't even require a waiver and I've definitely put in applicants requiring a TS clearance with more marijuana uses.

Not really sure where you're reading into any marijuana use being a no-go for TS, but as what others have said come clean when it comes to the TS interview and explain the entire situation to the best + honesty of your abilities.

taxi1

pilot
Maybe, maybe not.

Just decide from here on forward you'll be honest. Trying to game a poly is risky business. They aren't just given to find out what you did, they also have the role of laundering what you did, like money laundering. Once you've told them and they accept it, you can't be blackmailed. While you have that lie stewing around inside, you can.

So press on with OCS and the other job, and if the discrepancy comes up, treat it as your opportunity to un-f*** the situation the recruiter helped you get into.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These are my potential options:
  1. Stick to what I said & not to admit anything on the polygraph (which could mean I fail the poly and am banned from the agency)

Trying to game a poly is risky business.

Don’t try and game a polygraph, while I am not a big fan of them examiners are usually not morons and deliberately lying or trying to hide the truth can end badly for you. Minor drug use is likely not something they care that much about, being untruthful or deceptive definitely is.

exNavyOffRec

That's it? 3x uses? That doesn't even require a waiver and I've definitely put in applicants requiring a TS clearance with more marijuana uses.

Not really sure where you're reading into any marijuana use being a no-go for TS, but as what others have said come clean when it comes to the TS interview and explain the entire situation to the best + honesty of your abilities.
I am feeling his recruiter really led him down the wrong path, and am questioning how bright this recruiter is.

GroundPounder

On my enlisted trip through Ft. Benning, we had a guy in my platoon who showed up with golf clubs. His recruiter told him Army posts all had cheap courses.

He was from California, and also gained internal fame at the 2nd ITB for telling a Colonel during an inspection that he joined the Army only to get into shape, as he planned on trying to walk on to play football at USC.

As it was coming out his mouth, I knew everyone in 4th platoon was getting ready to have an opportunity to work on our fitness.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
On my enlisted trip through Ft. Benning, we had a guy in my platoon who showed up with golf clubs. His recruiter told him Army posts all had cheap courses.

He was from California, and also gained internal fame at the 2nd ITB for telling a Colonel during an inspection that he joined the Army only to get into shape, as he planned on trying to walk on to play football at USC.

As it was coming out his mouth, I knew everyone in 4th platoon was getting ready to have an opportunity to work on our fitness.
Did the entire 4th Platoon get a walk on spot at USC?

As for the drugs, I’ve seen guys with TS clearances who had prior issues with cocaine, so apparently the “tell the truth” things really does work! If it comes up as you move toward OCS just correct the record and got some (use these words exactly) “bad sea lawyer advice.” They’ll probably laugh and forgive at the same time.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I am feeling his recruiter really led him down the wrong path, and am questioning how bright this recruiter is.
23 years ago my recruiter told me not to tell MEPS about an arrest when I was 19. It was really minor -- I didn't even see my day in court, and I was only going for a secret clearance. It was the dumbest advice ever, given because the recruiter couldn't figure how to find the records at the court house and didn't want to risk me not filling his Nuke quota that month.

I wasn't smart, but had a moment of clarity at MEPS to fess up prior to taking the oath. Nuke chose not to give me a waiver, due solely to the last-minute-ness of the request, but it's never been an issue later or for higher clearance.

Side note...it didn't take long in the fleet to realize losing Nuke was a good thing.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Don’t try and game a polygraph, while I am not a big fan of them examiners are usually not morons...
I'm with you that I think they're not altogether reliable. Sociopaths sometimes skate and innocent people sometimes get flagged.

One funny story I heard was from Ft Jackson, where they train new polygraphers. The school needs role players for their trainees to polygraph. So, they contact the commander of the Army basic training unit that is in control of the sick, lame, and lazy unit, and request volunteers to be role players.

Several volunteers raise their hand to get out of whatever mundane clean-up daily duties they normally do.

Bottom line, by the end of one of the polygraph training sessions, one of the role players admits to a couple of violent felonies. That info is then turned over to the authorities. ?

Threadjack over.

Sonog

pilot
My theory is they keep the outdated MJ restrictions on the books to weed (LMAO) out those who lack the judgement on how/when/if to answer said questions.