• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lie about my PRK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmc

What’s the point in getting a waiver for a PRK when you can just lye about it?! From what I’ve been told, they can’t even tell the difference anyways. It can’t be that hard to cover up the medical records for it and from what I’ve been told from another board by a high ranking officer (supposedly), its a don’t ask, don’t tell policy…well, at LEAST don’t tell. Why would anyone want to fill out mounds of extra papers for various studies and limit themselves for getting into programs when the surgery they’ve had done isn’t even noticeable!
banghead_125.gif

mimisoko9

Not gonna touch this one, but I think it's safe to say you just opened up Pandora's box.

Better duck and cover.

cyphertube

Hmm.... How many docs you had look at the PRK and say they can't see it? And I mean those who are trying to find such things, but aren't sure you have it or not.

What're the going penalties now for lying on the forms? Never mention every doc that'll check you out.

Lots of things I'll bet on. Wouldn't bet on this.

usmc

I’m serious…this isn’t some troll thread. The fact is if you don’t tell, NO ONE KNOWS! Now I know lying may go against the very thing Marines stand for but this is just a wee little white lye. One lye and I’m done. That is it…just one itty bitty lye. It can’t be as bad as boinking in the oval office. I figure if you make the doctor aware of your situation, the paper trail can be completely covered up.

Ok, I know, my second post and I’ve probably lost all respect from many. I’m just saying, just for speculative purposes…

usmc

I was under the impression that there were no tell tale signs such as laser lines and things of the such. How would they tell you've had it? I’ve heard others on here say they've went to their civilian doctor and they never picked it up. Why?
boggled_125.gif

DairyCreamer

First, just wanted to say, lie is spelled lie, not lye, in this instance. Lye is sodium hydroxide commonly used in creating soap and other slightly more toxic compounds.

I'd think that lying (yes, that is the correct spelling for the transitive verb) to the Navy, for whatever reason, shows extremely poor judgement, and frankly, goes against the moral convictions the military service is looking for.

NOT to mention, if, for whatever reason, they DID find out, and you were already in, you could easily be looking at a court of inquiry, if not a full-blown court-marshall. Can you say Fort Leavenworth?

Lying on a government document (and yes, knowing and willfull omission of the truth is just as bad as saying you never had surgery) constitutes perjury, falsification of government documents, conduct unbecoming of an officer, and possibly more. Why bother lying?

Sure sure, PRK and the other laser stuff might be a little more "acceptable" (and less noticable) than, say, an amputation of one's arm. Still though, falisfying your medical history is NOT something you should do, if not only by moral character, than maybe the fact that your background checks and frequent physicals may, MAY, put you into a world of hurt.

Just do the paperwork.

~Nate

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Going by your username, I assume you're wanting to the Marine Corps route. Let me just tell you right now. I've spent many a day and nights on this forum reading and learning from guys that are in the Marines, and they talk about one of the biggest ways to get sent home from OCS is an Integrity violation. And this is just OCS, not even in the fleet yet. Why would you ever consider lying (spelled correctly) about something, that you payed all that many for? That doesn't make common sense to me. You'll be lucky if Frumby, or one of the big named Marines on this sight doesn't get a hold of this. If you're feeling this good about lying for something as small as PRK, then what makes others think that you won't lie about something else in the later on in the fleet?

Needless to say, this isn't a very good way to start off here at airwarriors. You don't want people to think of you as "oh yea, the guy that wanted to lie to the government." Ft. Levenworth is not the place you want to be for lying about something, or is a dishonorable discharge good either. A lie is a lie no matter how "itty bitty" it may seem. You may want to look over the Leadership traits that Marine Officers abide by, and ask yourself if this is something that you really want to do. No hard feelings man, just use your head. And remember what and who you're dealing with. My $.02

DairyCreamer

As a side note, I just saw a site through a search on Yahoo (search: PRK Detect Military) that states the following:

"PRK procedure is very difficult to detect by present ocular examination techniques...

Best detection method is by video keratograph - shows a distinct corneal topographic pattern."

This was written by a retired USAF Col.

Moral, anyway, is that it CAN be detected, especially if someone's looking for it. Do you think the military isn't aware of potential aviators that are looking to "beat the system" with this kind of surgery?

Worst case scenario, and maybe it's already happened, but... PRK IS under review as a potentially OK eye surgery for the military. It does not appear though (granted, I havn't done much digging) that they have issued a final ruling on it. So, wait a while and see what they say, if they give PRK the all clear, you're gold. If not, I dunno what to tell you.

~Nate

RobNLa

Why lie about something for which a waiver may be easily obtained?

Secondly, are you willing to sacrifice your integrity in order to obtain a commission. Theoretical or not. What are your motivations for joining the military anyway?

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
they do scan your eye with some machine... the corpsman told me it was to detect if i had laser eye surgery i.e. PRK. so yeah.. they can definitely tell if you've had it.

travislikes

TACAMO Bus Driver
Lying to the docs is just plain dumb. There is a reason that all these procedures, disabilities, and medications are disqualifying. I wouldn't want to be the guy responsible for killing an aircrew because I lied about something just to get a pilot slot. Think about that.
On another note, it can and will be detected in Pensacola. Every SNA is (or at least was a couple of years ago) screened with the video keratograph machine. It is a pretty cool machine, really.
Good luck, and get a waiver like everyone else.

usmc

I wasn’t REALLY planning on lying anyways. That’s to big of a chance, even for me. I’m not willing to risk four years of college for that. It has just been in the back of my head….. “what if.”
jump2_125.gif

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
usmc (devil pup, actually, you haven’t even earned that title yet; how about retard) – I was just curious if you have been to Vegas before? There is this little brothel just behind The Double Down Saloon, it offers free services for those about to join the military, only 3 out of 5 employees are infected with the HIV virus – the chances of not getting caught are almost in your favor. You might run into a few other people out there with some good gouge on whether or not lying about eye surgery is a good idea. I sincerely hope that this helps.
Cheers,
Andy

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
yeah I remember reading a bio from someone in API who said that during the first day physical check one of the things they checked for was to see if your eye had any kind of eye surgery done.

Status
Not open for further replies.