• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Licenses and Ratings

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
None. But you can take a military competency exam after winging to get them. When I did it, it was about $300 to get Commercial Fixed and Rotary Wing Single Engine with Instrument Rating.

phrogpilot73

While in flight school, what FAA Licenses and Ratings do SNA's receive?
Wow, that's a heck of a first post... What Scoob said is valid, but hell - they could change it by the time you get there (1 year at NAPS + 4 years at USNA + 6 months TBS + 2 years flight school = 7 1/2 years). I'd focus on finishing the boat school first.

Rg9

pilot
Like said, you can pay and take a test to get them. It cost me a total of $205 and a 20 minute test (they gouge you up really well) to get my commercial, instrument, multi-engine (and single) ratings with a BE200 type rating. I did advanced for P-3's. There are companies that give you the option once you wing, so you go through them. If you want to go jets (assuming you get that far), you can probably get everything I did except for the multi-engine stuff (unless you get something after the RAG).

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Wow, that's a heck of a first post... What Scoob said is valid, but hell - they could change it by the time you get there (1 year at NAPS + 4 years at USNA + 6 months TBS + 2 years flight school = 7 1/2 years). I'd focus on finishing the boat school first.
And it's been that long since I did it, so me not so accurate.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
None. But you can take a military competency exam after winging to get them. When I did it, it was about $300 to get Commercial Fixed and Rotary Wing Single Engine with Instrument Rating.

Basically the same, just cheaper. Got all the same ratings for $190 in P-cola.

OBXsurfQT

The only license you can obtain after flight school (you need to have your designation/completion letter) is a commercial license. You need to take the Military Competency Exam, airplane or rotary depending on what platform you wing on. The type ratings you get also depends on the platform you graduate from.

Fixed wing ratings: Commercial Pilot; Airplane single/multi-engine land (depends on the plane flown in primary & advanced); instrument rating. If you wing from VT-35 you also get a BE-200 type rating.

Rotary: Commercial Pilot; Rotocraft Helicopter; instrument ratings for both airplanes & helos.

Hope this helps!

OBXsurfQT

Oh, and you can buy the FAA gouge to prepare for the exam (covers both MCA & MCH exams). Some testing places offer their own gouge.

MasterBates

I got my Instrument Helo/Airplane added on after wings (had SEL and HELO ratings) for $100 or so.

When I finished the prop VTs (already winged) I got MEL added on for another $100.

TigerPilot38

Thanks alot guys for all of your replies. That helps because the reason I asked is because I have the choice of doing Embry-Riddle's Aeronautical Science Program on a NROTC Scholarhip - Marine Option. And if you don't know already that program is basically a flight program to get me up to my commercial pilots license with multi-engine, instrument, and possibly CFI by time I graduate. But I talked to the MOI there and he said that doing that is like getting the govm't to fund flight training then when I go out to Pensacola for flight school doing the same exact thing all over again.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
But I talked to the MOI there and he said that doing that is like getting the govm't to fund flight training then when I go out to Pensacola for flight school doing the same exact thing all over again.

Well, at least you'd end up with a ton more hours than the average Joe outta flight school, basically all paid for. Plus, you'd be able to log the time in flight school as second in command and not as under instruction.

phrogpilot73

Well, at least you'd end up with a ton more hours than the average Joe outta flight school, basically all paid for. Plus, you'd be able to log the time in flight school as second in command and not as under instruction.
Huh? He'd log it as PIC time - because it's not a multi-piloted aircraft (so he's just a passenger when he's not flying), and he's the sole manipulator of controls. Don't you mean he can log PIC time without "under instruction" tagged on?

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
Huh? He'd log it as PIC time - because it's not a multi-piloted aircraft (so he's just a passenger when he's not flying), and he's the sole manipulator of controls. Don't you mean he can log PIC time without "under instruction" tagged on?

Yeah, my bad, that's what I was getting at.

*edit* Well, once he ends up in helos, won't he have to log sic since the Hac is the one signing for the aircraft?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, my bad, that's what I was getting at.

*edit* Well, once he ends up in helos, won't he have to log sic since the Hac is the one signing for the aircraft?
If I am following this thread right, the answer is no, because he won't have a RW rating.