• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Licenses after winging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I love how some dipstick with mod powers has gone and locked all of the old posts. So, instead of posting in an old thread and keeping the info together, I get the pleasure of opening a NEW thread (which gets to be sifted through by the next guy that comes along with a similar question but can't find the answer in the previous threadS so he has to in turn create a NEW thread to ask a question similar to those already asked!)!

My question: after winging, we qualify for a Commercial License/Instrument Rating. With that said, what are the requirements necessary to complete in order for said aviator to go to the local FBO and rent a small Cessna? Do we need a certain number of hours in that airplane or just a fam flight with an instructor? Also, with those requirements (if there are any) met, are we then legal to take that a/c into IFR?

4 years ago I received a "Student Pilot" certificate in a Cessna through FIP. I know it's expired now, but having had it at one point, is it worth anything?

saltpeter

You need to take the FAA written exams. for the licenses / rating your applying for. You may even get a type rating out of your visit to the FSDO. An FBO check out depends on the discretion of the owner of the bug smasher, so he's going to try to rob you out of a few bucks and blame it on insurance premiums.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
You need to take the FAA written exams. for the licenses / rating your applying for.

Sorry, I knew that. I meant after taking the required exams for this rating (should also receive type rating for the Single Engine Land), are there any requirements that MUST be met?

[/QUOTE]An FBO check out depends on the discretion of the owner of the bug smasher
Is this it? There are no FAA regs that need to be met?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yo FNG....Who you calling Dipstick?

I'm an NFO and I'll try to answer this for you...

Get winged...buy a commercial pilot test study guide ($15), study it for one night. Go to your local FAA field office (FSDO). Bring your NATOPS and/or navy qualifications paperwork with you. Take a ~70 question competency exam.

If you are a helo pilot, you get Commercial single engine and helicopter ratings. If you are fixed you get commercial, may be SE or MEL depepndijng on your pipeline. You pay a small fee. No flight required.

Later you may add ratings such as asymettric thrust MEL, etc as you fly different aircraft. And/or type ratings...T-1, etc...

Student pilot cert is not worth anything.

Good luck.
r/
G

PPL SE INST

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I'll have to look at my log book, but I believe my last T-2 flight was a year from this month! Not many GA a/c out there that a Multi with centerline thrust restriction would apply to is there? I guess this would be more for sh!ts and grins?

Picked up the gouge packet today.

Thanks for the info!

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Most FBOs just require a checkout in the a/c you wish to rent. If you already have time in the Cessna you want to rent, this should take no more than an hour (stalls, steep turns, slow flight, etc). Should not be a problem for you to rent any plane there after flying the T-34, multi's excluded. And yes, if you are IFR rated then you can take the plane on IFR flights. Unless they have rule against that, and if they do, rent somewhere else.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
jg..that's exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Although, I agree with UInavy, that title's bad juju.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A lot of the previous answers are good - but to be more succint:

1. The exam you are looking for is the "Military Competency Written Exam"

2. To pass the exam you really need the "crash course" that is given with the exam, usually by a designated examiner type of person. I think it was one or two days when I took it.

3. For folks graduating from the helo syllabus you rate: Commercial Pilot - Airplane Single Engine Land, Rotorcraft Helicopter, and INstrument Airplane and Helicopter

4. For the Multi Engine and Jet guys you rate: Commercial Pilot - Airplane Single and Multi Engine Land, Instrument Airplane. (correction - for the jet guys you may only get Single Engine Land - forgot no T-2 anymore!!)

Don't put this off - " Git 'er done!!! "

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
how do we rate a multi rating if we're a jet guy? i've never flown a multi-engined plane in my life.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
squeeze said:
how do we rate a multi rating if we're a jet guy? i've never flown a multi-engined plane in my life.

Oh yeah, no T-2 anymore. Man I feel old. Sorry.

nugget81

pilot
According to the FAR's, a current or former military pilot can apply for a commercial pilot certificate and instrument rating by passing a written knowledge exam, getting an endorsement from an "authorized instructor", and taking a practical test. See FAR 61.73 "Military pilots or former military pilots: special rules" or the link below:

http://www.awp.faa.gov/fsdo/military.htm

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jboomer said:
I love how some dipstick with mod powers has gone and locked all of the old posts. So, instead of posting in an old thread and keeping the info together, I get the pleasure of opening a NEW thread (which gets to be sifted through by the next guy that comes along with a similar question but can't find the answer in the previous threadS so he has to in turn create a NEW thread to ask a question similar to those already asked!)!
See, what I love is how other dipsticks get on the boards here and start talking smack about something they don't even know what it is they're talking about.

jboomer said:
My question: after winging, we qualify for a Commercial License/Instrument Rating. With that said, what are the requirements necessary to complete in order for said aviator to go to the local FBO and rent a small Cessna? Do we need a certain number of hours in that airplane or just a fam flight with an instructor? Also, with those requirements (if there are any) met, are we then legal to take that a/c into IFR?
I have a suggestion. Call the nearest FSDO to you and maybe a couple of FBO's to see what the procedures are. The gouge you get will probably be closer to 100% and up to date to say the least.

[
jboomer said:
4 years ago I received a "Student Pilot" certificate in a Cessna through FIP. I know it's expired now, but having had it at one point, is it worth anything?
You might be able to sell it on E-bay for some cash.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
Wasn't the O-2A the "Birdog" used in Vietnam with a pusher/puller engine combo, mounted fore and aft of the cockpit. ......if I'm wrong. Its happened before. .......Once.......

Twice, now ..... :)

O-1 was the original "Bird Dog" and the O-2 was called "SkyMaster". I suppose some probably incorrectly called it "Bird Dog" as it performed the same mission. It was also called the "MixMaster". It was a stopgap until the OV-10 Bronco came on the scene.

ArmyO1BirddogThumbnail.jpg
O2SkymasterThumbnail.jpg
Bronco2oClockThumbnail.jpg

left to right .... O-1, O-2, OV-10

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Place up in Idaho I used to fly out of had a Skymaster homebased there. Loved watching it fly.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Mefesto said:
And ya if you've logged 10 hours PIC in the last 12 months in the T-2 you can get a multi rating (or just wait till after the RAG) with a centerline thrust limitation, but that limitation makes it worthless.
Not necessarily Grasshopper. It is a lot cheaper and easier to just do a Vmc demo and a single engine approach later on with either a DE or FSDO to remove that limitation than to do the complete multi commercial checkride.

Status
Not open for further replies.