• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Liberty Radius?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Some nanny commands make the requestor actually print out directions and mileage from mapquest. That and of course, the obligatory breathalyzer.

oops, just noticed the above reference to mapquest. Nothing to see here, move along.

Did I mention it's good to be retired?

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
At the end of the day, it only really matters what YOUR command instruction says. Chances are, it's spelled out in there as to what you can use. At my last squadron, travel time was used instead of mile radius. It allowed for a technical loop hole, despite some urging to the CO that it probably shouldn't be written that way. But at the end of the day, that's what was signed and what you went off of.
But rules were made to be broken, no?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey all, quick question about liberty. The Memorial Day weekend is coming up and I would like to travel home to see family. The radius is 500 miles, and out to 600 with a special liberty chit. Anything more than that requires leave, and I don't have much accumulated at this point.

From my command to home is 585 miles straight line radius, but is 714 miles by road. Which number does the command look at when processing a special liberty chit?
If you use T.R.I.P.s, the milage is calculated using mapquest maps....road milage.....

Like others have stated, that's a lot of driving over a 72 hour period. Someone needs to read the Friday Funnies posted at the Safety Center. Lots of stupid human tricks dealing with long drives over a short period.

Stop thinking like an E-3. You need to ORM this planned trip to realize its not worth it to drive and it puts you at HIGH risk.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Hey all, quick question about liberty. The Memorial Day weekend is coming up and I would like to travel home to see family. The radius is 500 miles, and out to 600 with a special liberty chit. Anything more than that requires leave, and I don't have much accumulated at this point.

From my command to home is 585 miles straight line radius, but is 714 miles by road. Which number does the command look at when processing a special liberty chit?

My command has the most liberal policy I've ever seen. 150 miles for 24 hr, 400 for 48, 600 for 72/96. ALSO allows plane flights/train/boat trips within a 5-hr return trip from Norfolk during any liberty period.

But to answer your original question, we use TRIPS, which is driving distance.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
TRIPS also has a very robust* password policy- the usual combination of letters, numbers, non-alphanumeric characters, and you have to change it practically every time you login... because if the cyberterrorists ever hack TRIPS... I just don't want to imagine that. :rolleyes:

*By "robust," what I really mean is "asinine."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But rules were made to be broken, no?

I didn't say I did the urging.

The loophole allowed you to travel as far as you could on a direct flight. So if you could manage to find a direct flight to CA, you could technically go on Special Lib clear across the country. I believe the urging was more about how it didn't make any sense the way it was written than trying make someone take leave, especially when the previous special liberty policy was very generous.

Good lord. Turn in your JOPA card immediately.

In that squadron, there is no JOPA, only Zuel.

usn_ftw

I would agree that it's a long haul for 3 days at home. The last time I drove here it was around 10.5 hours. It's a bad mentality, but I'm confident I can make the drive. If it's any comparison, I'm still kicking after 2 years of graveyard airline maintenance with an hour commute each way. That was unsafe in every way imaginable.

All things considered, it would be well worth the hours in the car to see my family and friends for a few days. I haven't been home since I left for OCS in December. Wow, big deal that's like 5 months. But, I want to see my dog, I want to throw a party for my buds back home, and then fish my favorite pond - beer in hand. You get the picture. And not to mention (man card alert), go to the wedding shower my fiance has had to plan alone while I've been off learning to fly airplanes. Oh, and this is my last week of Academics in API. :cool:

It's a good time to get away my friends...

Anyway, it all depends on what the command says. I don't see why they would even offer the special liberty radius if they aren't willing to allow anyone to utilize it. We shall see.

usn_ftw

I may have failed to mention that the 500 mile radius requires no paperwork whatsoever, 600 requires the spec lib chit and in both cases you must drive. You will not be charged leave if you drive. If you fly any distance leave is required, and anything beyond 600 miles requires leave.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
In all honesty, what's that saying..."If you have to ask..."

Something is telling you that the drive is 'not right' to the point that you won't employ the "beg for forgiveness..." approach. You should listen to it, along with the several warfare qualified officers telling you it's a bad idea.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I may have failed to mention that the 500 mile radius requires no paperwork whatsoever, 600 requires the spec lib chit and in both cases you must drive. You will not be charged leave if you drive. If you fly any distance leave is required, and anything beyond 600 miles requires leave.

They must have changed the liberty policy- it used to be 300. You're a big boy, take leave if you want, or sea lawyer your way through talking the drive as doable and okay to get the chit signed off. Doesn't matter either way to anyone else, but I promise you this- if you fuck it away on your trip and don't make it back on time and in one piece without a leave chit covering you, they will make an example of you if for no reason then to use your case to deter others from fucking it up in the future. You're in the training command and the Navy has invested very few dollars in you in terms of training since you haven't flown yet. You're completely expendable if you piss them off.

usn_ftw

Well, I'm certainly not trying to piss anyone off by going to see my family. And I do see and respect everyone's views on "pushing the limit" vs. the reward of my precious "3 days at Mommy's house." I'm not really here to justify my reasons for going back. I'm not experiencing the feeling of a devil on my shoulder saying it's a bad idea. I just wasn't sure how they grant the special lib in terms of distance. If they think it's dangerous or too risky in terms of returning on time it won't be the end of the world. I will then have 4 full days of amazing Florida weather and beaches. I'll manage. :)

Regardless, at this point....

deadhorse2.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In all honesty, what's that saying..."If you have to ask..."

Something is telling you that the drive is 'not right' to the point that you won't employ the "beg for forgiveness..." approach. You should listen to it, along with the several warfare qualified officers telling you it's a bad idea.
Get it yet?:rolleyes:

Well, I'm certainly not trying to piss anyone off by going to see my family.
Well, you asked for advice, and it seems you're not pleased with the responses. You've managed to do it without even trying... it's your life & flying gig at stake, are you willing to chance it [for 3 days]?:confused:

If they think it's dangerous or too risky in terms of returning on time it won't be the end of the world. I will then have 4 full days of amazing Florida weather and beaches. I'll manage. :)

Regardless, at this point....

deadhorse2.jpg
Your attempt at humor, comes across as sarcasm. You're a big boy now, so make these decisions carefully. The 'caballo' has expired.:eek:
BzB

Status
Not open for further replies.