• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lex's Accident Report

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Or, the PAR goes down in the rain because there is too much clutter on the radar. Kind of ironic.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the record, I noticed that they spelled TOPGUN ("one word, all caps") as both Topgun and as Top Gun in the report. Someone could have done a better job checking that.

They were consistent throughout the report using 'Topgun' for the callsigns, 'Top Gun' for the actual school and all caps only for acronyms. Unless TOPGUN actually means something they were consistent in not writing it like that.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Or, the PAR goes down in the rain because there is too much clutter on the radar. Kind of ironic.

This happened to me twice at -106. First time was early in FAMs with a WSO in the backseat. He was the one who taught me how to designate the runway with the radar and fly a self contained approach. (Though he was an AESA Rhino guy by trade, and the -79 works a metric shit ton better than the good ole -65 for stuff like that).

Second time was on the wing for a BFM hop with a fairly salty Marine O-5 who is notorius for taking off in bad WX. We knew that we probably weren't going to accomplish the primary mission, but he added a Wx Recce secondairy as well as getting me to fly in crummy weather to build some confidence. Well, I definitely got some time in bad weather; clouds all the way up to about 280, boucing around on the wing like crazy (I'm not sure why we didn't do a radar trail). We attempt two section PARs with the plan to split the duals, the first one dropped us way right as we broke out at about 300ft. Second one we aborted about a mile short of the runway as my RADALT was going off (200ft). Third times a charm, we separate and each grab the TACAN as the weather gets a bit better. I sucked down 2/3s of the lox bottle on a 1.0 that day and was pulling seat cushion out of my ass for a week.

You definitely don't get those experiences flying UAVs! :eek:

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
They were consistent throughout the report using 'Topgun' for the callsigns, 'Top Gun' for the actual school and all caps only for acronyms. Unless TOPGUN actually means something they were consistent in not writing it like that.

I was more getting at the fact that Lex reminded us numerous times on his blog that it was "one word, all CAPS".