• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lexington, KY Gouge?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
A prospective job (civilian) has reared its head near Lexington, KY, and while I'm still in the negotiating phase, I'd like to have as much information as possible before I decide to relocate. My gun forum comrades are all ready sending me information regarding that aspect of life there, but does anyone have general gouge on the area?

I'm likely headed there next week for a site visit and some followup interviews with higher ups. They asked if I could stay for two days, vice one, so that they could take me to the Woodford Reserve distillery. I think we might be off to a good start...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Lexington itself has pretty much all the good and bad of a city that size. Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities and Daniel Boone national forest has lots of undiscovered places if you're willing to put boots on. The bourbon trail? That's good too. :)

We have a place an hour and half south that I'll be at this weekend doing the spring cleanup.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It's an hour from Bardstown, KY aka the Bourbon capitol of the world. That can't be a bad thing...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It's seriously some of the most beautiful country around there. Makers Mark and Wild Turkey are like from a movie.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The wife and I are considering buying a bit of acreage if we move there. Quite a few reasonably priced, nice houses there, but there seems to be few properties in between the .25 acre and 10+ range. At least online, anyway. If I have to choose between a 4,200 square-foot house on .25 acre, and a 3,000 square-foot house (my wife's lower limit) on 15 acres for $10k more, I'm going with the latter.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
What's not to love about kentucky? Horse racing, liquor, guns, and good hills. What more do you need?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
As someone on another forum pointed out to me, Lexington, KY is also the home of Bud's Guns. Things keep getting more interesting...

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
What's not to love about kentucky? Horse racing, liquor, guns, and good hills. What more do you need?

Beaches, beautiful women and maybe something other to do than cow tipping n learning to play the banjo :)
Seriously tho , good luck to the OP on the new job and location.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I get my fill of beaches, hot chicks, and non-banjo music during visits to the wife's homeland. Nothing like hot, mostly naked Puerto Rican chicks sunning themselves on the beach... Well, except for maybe a father-in-law who throws the keys to his 7 series to you and says, "Here's a grand. We're going to the horse races, but first let's go see if there are any hot chicks on the beach. Oh, and you'd better not bet against my horse."

Edit: Shit, I even threadjacked my own thread...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kemper-1.jpg

This thread reminds me of my one experience I had of a 5-day emergency trip to KY. March of 1970, just started my tour as ShipsCo. USS MIDWAY @ NAS Alameda. Got word that my roomie in VA-146 for 2 combat cruises & best friend CDR Bob "Boo Boo" Kemper, then XO & PCO VT-7 @ Meridian, had been killed on an Inst. approach to Meridian in a T-2. They encountered severe icing close in on an actual GCA, and unable to maintain GS w/ full power, he ejected his student who survived, hesitating his own punchout until student was clear, then ejected but too late for full chute deployment. It is believed he sacrificed his life for his Student. He was that type.

Bob was a native of Shelbyville, KY and was the local hero of that city, per his performance during the "Rolling Thunder" period early in the air war. Among his local fans, was Col. Harland Sanders KFC founder (KFC Corp. Hdqtrs was/is in Shelbyville).

I contacted Bob's Widow & his CO and received permission to come out on emergency leave to assist getting the family (w/ 3 young Daughters) through the difficult period of military funeral & interment. Even in the sadness of that time, I couldn't help but think, how green & beautiful it was in that kind of rural area between Frankfort & Louisville. Bob's Skipper, CDR "Joe" xxx, did what we could to help the family through this difficult time. Col. Sanders, though in his 80th year, was a constant visitor at the family home & did whatever he could to help out, a true "Country Gentleman" and great storyteller. He was sooo proud of his "hometown hero" and so was I! That's it for now, too painful.

* Photo of Bob & the Col. on his X/C to Standiford Field several years prior (tasting some KFC together).
BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Boo Bo

View attachment 13016o painful.

* Photo of Bob & the Col. on his X/C to Standiford Field several years prior (tasting some KFC together).
BzB

Another photo I just found: That's "finger licken' good"!
* Bob "Boo Boo" Kemper, USNA '56
BzB

Oops, guess I posted on the wrong thread, I thought it was about Kentucky! Sorry 'bout that! :icon_cryi

Attachments

• Kemper-2.jpg
    Kemper-2.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 25

nugget61

pilot
Lexington's pretty nice, check out Keeneland if you have time/desire to see the horses. Not as large as Churchill Downs, but certainly nicer.
Lex itself gives you the feel that it wants to be a city, but doesn't really have much of a downtown - actually quite nice as it's a clean place. Beware the cops, especially near UK.
And speaking of UK, everyone in that town is a fanatic - brush up on them if you're going to be spending that much casual time with your interviewers.
I lived about an hour west of Lex (Louisville, the better half of KY) so PM me if you have specific questions.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Well, I wound up being offered and taking the job in Kentucky, and I start in about two weeks. I will be the token USNA grad among about half-a-dozen West Point guys, but my knowledge of sweet, delicious bourbon and fine firearms was apparently too much for them to pass up.

I'm headed there with wife, munchkin and in-laws in tow tomorrow for some house hunting over the weekend, even though I will be solo for the first couple of months while my wife continues to bank her paycheck here in NC and gets her KY pharmacist license.

Thanks to all who provided advice, and I'll pass the occasional update as I go. Now, does anyone have any info on possible Marine reserve units in the area?