• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Letter of Recommendation Request

Tonkovich.J

I'm applying for SNA at the upcoming April board and I'm interested in getting some more recommendations. I'm curious if there are any naval aviators on this forum that reside in the Chicago area? If yes, would any of you be willing to meet with me? I'm offering to treat you with a meal and/or drinks at place of your choice for taking the time out of your day to help me out.

Thanks,

John

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your LORs can come from just about anyone that knows you well. Do you have any former professors or employers that would be willing to write one for you?

-ea6bflyr ;)

Tonkovich.J

I already have LORs from professors of mine. I'm just trying to diversify my packet. Maybe I should of said interviews instead of letters of recommendations, that's my fault.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you tried to contact RTC Great Lakes...I'm sure there are some Aviators there that could give you an interview.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Tonkovich.J

I had an interview with an aviator in the past. I'm just looking for others in order to make my application stand out even more. However, my new recruiter is new to the job and doesn't know any. What would be my best course of action?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
LORs are more of a character reference than anything. I think you're better off getting LORs from people who can attest to your character, as opposed to some random LT you had lunch with.

Tonkovich.J

LORs are more of a character reference than anything. I think you're better off getting LORs from people who can attest to your character, as opposed to some random LT you had lunch with.

I meant to say interview but put down LOR's by mistake. If the moderators could change that for me I would appreciate it.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Your recruiter is failing you if he's shrugging his shoulders and putting this off on you. He needs to talk to his peers and/or OPO to figure out how to get some contacts for you to get interviews completed. Being new to the job is no excuse.

exNavyOffRec

The board wants data from those that have seen you perform or know about your character, not someone who meets you for 30 minutes. In the past 2 pilot boards I have had only one person not selected, and they were just picked up on the last board as a recon, not a single one had an officer interview.

Tonkovich.J

My last recruiter was great and went above and beyond what was necessary. I'm resubmitting so I should be an easy applicant for my new recruiter since all the hard work is already done and my packet is complete. I already have an 0-6 aviator interview and its not prudent that I need two. I have sometime to kill until the board deadline and I thought it wouldn't hurt if I pursued another. Anyways thanks for all the input, I feel confident that I stand a good chance in April with my current packet.

exNavyOffRec

My last recruiter was great and went above and beyond what was necessary. I'm resubmitting so I should be an easy applicant for my new recruiter since all the hard work is already done and my packet is complete. I already have an 0-6 aviator interview and its not prudent that I need two. I have sometime to kill until the board deadline and I thought it wouldn't hurt if I pursued another. Anyways thanks for all the input, I feel confident that I stand a good chance in April with my current packet.
I can tell you that unless you have some negative info (legal) you should have no problem getting picked up, your GPA and ASTB beat most of the people that were picked up from my district at this board.

I have done several searches and cannot find a definitive answer on this. One can infer from some of the comments that officer interviews are not necessary for selection and that unless they know you personally in a workplace or academic environment they don't mean much to the board. With that said, are they actually detrimental to your package to have them included? My recruiter wants to set me up with a couple of interviews with current Naval Aviators and I am more than comfortable with doing them, I just don't want to hurt my chances by having something included that the board will be annoyed to have to look at.

exNavyOffRec

I have done several searches and cannot find a definitive answer on this. One can infer from some of the comments that officer interviews are not necessary for selection and that unless they know you personally in a workplace or academic environment they don't mean much to the board. With that said, are they actually detrimental to your package to have them included? My recruiter wants to set me up with a couple of interviews with current Naval Aviators and I am more than comfortable with doing them, I just don't want to hurt my chances by having something included that the board will be annoyed to have to look at.
They can hurt if you don't get a 10, or really good write up, there are several NRD's that don't listen to the data that comes back from the board. Do you want to place your future in the hands of someone that is going to meet you for 30 minutes or someone that has seen you in action for several years.

The only people I have get officer interviews are those that require them (CEC), I had a few when I first started get them and they were good interviews but none were picked up, I then read board feedback that said they want to see employer interviews/LOR, since I did that I have had the best selection rate in the district.

Thank you for your reply. I certainly don't want to hurt my chances. I just also don't want to seem rude or arrogant and refuse to do them if its not commonplace to do so.