• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Let me tell you something! An exercise in self-flagellation

WildcatAlumni

What expectations do you think need to be managed in this case? She raised her hand and apparently did multiple deployments as a Naval Officer. She raised some legitimate issues reflected in formal surveys and thus far the 'interesting discussion' in this thread boils down to chest-thumping about designators and expectation management. Refer to her resignation point #3.

We don't require prospective JOs to commit to an entire career in the military, and for many officers, particularly women, the prospect of moving around and inability to balance service with family life is a deal breaker for continued service. If the military wants to retain more women into senior ranks, it's going to have to do a better job of managing that besides 'suck it up buttercup.'

There has been much discussion on this topic recently and change is inevitable. I am young(22) and I can say that many of the people I associate with view military service as a delay of entering adulthood and I think there is some truth to that. Some past dating experiences of mine have led me to conclude that I would never want to have a wife or serious girlfriend while serving, I couldnt expect them to remain faithful. Even now, with 2 months to go until I get to Quantico, the Marine career thing is a sort of scarlet letter for dating. A serious relationship isnt possible so girls arent interested. Luckily I have just been hitting up the local college and thats great because girls there dont need to see the potential for a long term relationship. However, I dont want to keep up this strategy of preying on college freshmen until Im 30 and my commitment to the Marines is up.
I would consider myself very financially conscious and I would like to be a home owner. Obviously renting for 8 years of my life before buying is not ideal financially and I am not thrilled about the fact that I will not be able to invest into a home until my military service is up. Im not going to be married or know where I am going to be stationed so why would I buy a home? This is another example of how the military lifestyle isnt very accommodating for typical life goals.

There is going to have to be some change to continue to attract skilled applicants that want some work/life balance. I know my generation has been quoted as wanting "experiences over things" and with the whole PTSD thing in the military, the military isnt offering the desired experiences. A paycheck for a hard, undesirable lifestyle isnt going to attract the best and brightest like we need in today's modern military.

I would predict that in my career, I will get sick of the bureaucracy and the military's unwillingness to change and probably leave, but making changes to the career structure is something I would like to do in my time as a Marine Corps Officer.

Also, there has been talk about a potential 401k like system being instituted instead of just the pension after 20 years. If that is instituted about 3 years into my career, would I be eligible for it you think?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would like to be a home owner. Obviously renting for 8 years of my life before buying is not ideal financially and I am not thrilled about the fact that I will not be able to invest into a home until my military service is up.

I know you're young and don't really understand what the military lifestyle is yet, but most people in the military buy homes. I'm unmarried, and I have two. What would make you think otherwise?

WildcatAlumni

I know you're young and don't really understand what the military lifestyle is yet, but most people in the military buy homes. I'm unmarried, and I have two. What would make you think otherwise?

Did you purchase them as investments or rentals? I guess my understanding is that for the next 8 years I will be on a ship for the half the year and for the other half, stationed somewhere that I cannot predict. I will be at schools temporarily for the first 3 years but only there for a few months at a time. So how could I make a purchase? I guess I could pick an area that I would like to end up one day but even then, I dont know if I could get a job in that location.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
There has been much discussion on this topic recently and change is inevitable. I am young(22) and I can say that many of the people I associate with view military service as a delay of entering adulthood and I think there is some truth to that. Some past dating experiences of mine have led me to conclude that I would never want to have a wife or serious girlfriend while serving, I couldnt expect them to remain faithful. Even now, with 2 months to go until I get to Quantico, the Marine career thing is a sort of scarlet letter for dating. A serious relationship isnt possible so girls arent interested. Luckily I have just been hitting up the local college and thats great because girls there dont need to see the potential for a long term relationship. However, I dont want to keep up this strategy of preying on college freshmen until Im 30 and my commitment to the Marines is up.
I would consider myself very financially conscious and I would like to be a home owner. Obviously renting for 8 years of my life before buying is not ideal financially and I am not thrilled about the fact that I will not be able to invest into a home until my military service is up. Im not going to be married or know where I am going to be stationed so why would I buy a home? This is another example of how the military lifestyle isnt very accommodating for typical life goals.

There is going to have to be some change to continue to attract skilled applicants that want some work/life balance. I know my generation has been quoted as wanting "experiences over things" and with the whole PTSD thing in the military, the military isnt offering the desired experiences. A paycheck for a hard, undesirable lifestyle isnt going to attract the best and brightest like we need in today's modern military.

I would predict that in my career, I will get sick of the bureaucracy and the military's unwillingness to change and probably leave, but making changes to the career structure is something I would like to do in my time as a Marine Corps Officer.

Also, there has been talk about a potential 401k like system being instituted instead of just the pension after 20 years. If that is instituted about 3 years into my career, would I be eligible for it you think?
Tip #1: this is a naval aviation forum and you are damn near the most junior person here since I gather you aren't even a marine yet. No one cares about your dating struggles or conquests.

Tip #2 You don't know about the military lifestyle yet

Tip #3 You aren't going to change the marine corps

WildcatAlumni

Tip #1: this is a naval aviation forum and you are damn near the most junior person here since I gather you aren't even a marine yet. No one cares about your dating struggles or conquests.

Tip #2 You don't know about the military lifestyle yet

Tip #3 You aren't going to change the marine corps

Did your dog die today or what? And the point I was making that changes will have to be made to recruit the best possible applicants. I have seen it in my peer groups that joining, even as an officer is frowned upon. My ex even complained to me that I was "taking the easy way out by joining." Obviously I dumped her for that and other reasons but it does reflect how many people my age view serving. It is viewed as this delay of jumping into the real world. Making the military lifestyle not as much as a sacrifice I think would be a better path than compromising recruiting and getting shittier applicants.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/04/06/personnel-reform/70841130/

robav8r

None
Contributor
This is another example of how the military lifestyle isnt very accommodating for typical life goals. . . .
I think I just choked on the bag of popcorn I was eating in preparation for the coming responses to the above :) You're right though, military life is NOT very accommodating to ones life goals. It's about service & sacrifice, but I digress . . . . I can promise you one thing though, you will definitely get your "experiences over things."

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Did your dog die today or what? And the point I was making that changes will have to be made to recruit the best possible applicants. I have seen it in my peer groups that joining, even as an officer is frowned upon. My ex even complained to me that I was "taking the easy way out by joining." Obviously I dumped her for that and other reasons but it does reflect how many people my age view serving. It is viewed as this delay of jumping into the real world. Making the military lifestyle not as much as a sacrifice I think would be a better path than compromising recruiting and getting shittier applicants.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/04/06/personnel-reform/70841130/
6a00d83452137a69e20133f1e51a7f970b-pi

Grow up, Peter Pan

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I am young(22) and I can say that many of the people I associate with view military service as a delay of entering adulthood and I think there is some truth to that.
Yep... You nailed it. It's one big amusement park ride and no-one is asked to do "grown up" stuff. I even picked a Marine for you....

Some past dating experiences of mine have led me to conclude that I would never want to have a wife or serious girlfriend while serving, I couldnt expect them to remain faithful.
That's a you problem, not a military problem. If you decide to marry someone who don't believe can or will remain faithful "for better or worse," then, again - that's a you problem.

However, I dont want to keep up this strategy of preying on college freshmen until Im 30 and my commitment to the Marines is up.
Why stop now?

I would consider myself very financially conscious and I would like to be a home owner. Obviously renting for 8 years of my life before buying is not ideal financially and I am not thrilled about the fact that I will not be able to invest into a home until my military service is up.
See Brett's comments.

Call me naive, but I suppose there's still that whole selfless service and causes bigger than yourself thing... No?

Did your dog die today or what?
Nope, the only thing dying is a little bit of each of us with your subsequent posts.

croakerfish

pilot
Some past dating experiences of mine have led me to conclude that I would never want to have a wife or serious girlfriend while serving, I couldnt expect them to remain faithful. Even now, with 2 months to go until I get to Quantico, the Marine career thing is a sort of scarlet letter for dating. A serious relationship isnt possible so girls arent interested. Luckily I have just been hitting up the local college and thats great because girls there dont need to see the potential for a long term relationship. However, I dont want to keep up this strategy of preying on college freshmen until Im 30 and my commitment to the Marines is up.
...I am not thrilled about the fact that I will not be able to invest into a home until my military service is up. Im not going to be married or know where I am going to be stationed so why would I buy a home?...
...with the whole PTSD thing in the military, the military isnt offering the desired experiences. A paycheck for a hard, undesirable lifestyle isnt going to attract the best and brightest like we need in today's modern military...

So much WTF in here dude... How did you reach these conclusions? If you can't find interested women as a Marine pilot the problem is DEFINITELY you.

WildcatAlumni

I think I just choked on the bag of popcorn I was eating in preparation for the coming responses to the above :) You're right though, military life is NOT very accommodating to ones life goals. It's about service & sacrifice, but I digress . . . . I can promise you one thing though, you will definitely get your "experiences over things."

Service and Sacrifice is fair but I think that will become less of a motivating factor for recruitment. It may be the reason why we wanted to sign up but with the more liberal military reform policies, some of the pride of serving for the sake of serving may have been diminished. Its pretty well known that morale as it a low point in the military currently due to a variety of political on policy factors. I dont want to get in politics but I know I want to serve although I cant say I agree with what I will probably doing to serve. Most of my generation, including myself are not too thrilled on wanting Iraq War the Third. So I dont think there will be much to attract applicants based on wanting to sacrifice going forward.

I dont have the experience you guys have had but Im just giving a view into how a civilian views all this.

being one, i'd be ok with the disparagement– we generally suck a little more than most generation groups.

We will be the generation to turn this mess around that the boomers have made. As a whole, we are more innovative, more financially savvy, more progressive, more educated. I think our generation will soon have an effect on the military like we did on the way things are done in the civilian world.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you purchase them as investments or rentals? I guess my understanding is that for the next 8 years I will be on a ship for the half the year and for the other half, stationed somewhere that I cannot predict. I will be at schools temporarily for the first 3 years but only there for a few months at a time. So how could I make a purchase? I guess I could pick an area that I would like to end up one day but even then, I dont know if I could get a job in that location.
Dude, you don't know what you don't know. Step one, deep breath and relax a bit. Suffice it to say that whenever you get to your first permanent duty station, you're going to be there (on average) 3 years. You're going to buy a home there and live in it - just like everybody else. If you leave the area when your tour is up, you'll either sell it or rent it out - just like everybody else.

...the military isnt offering the desired experiences.
This made me laugh - quintessential millennial statement. You know, you aren't hiring a caterer. The military is about service and sacrifice - not about providing you with desired experiences. If you come into it with those expectations, you're in for a rude awakening.

robav8r

None
Contributor
We will be the generation to turn this mess around that the boomers have made. As a whole, we are more innovative, more financially savvy, more progressive, more educated. I think our generation will soon have an effect on the military like we did on the way things are done in the civilian world.
I thought you said you didn't want to get into politics? And what in the wide world of sports do Boomers contributions to our society (good or bad) have to do with serving an organization that does incredible things everyday . . . . and sacrifice to values and missions and people that are so much bigger than your petulant attitude . . . . and honor to an institution that has made it possible for your generation to enjoy the life you have enjoyed so far ???

hummerhole

None
Service and Sacrifice is fair but I think that will become less of a motivating factor for recruitment. It may be the reason why we wanted to sign up but with the more liberal military reform policies, some of the pride of serving for the sake of serving may have been diminished. Its pretty well known that morale as it a low point in the military currently due to a variety of political on policy factors. I dont want to get in politics but I know I want to serve although I cant say I agree with what I will probably doing to serve. Most of my generation, including myself are not too thrilled on wanting Iraq War the Third. So I dont think there will be much to attract applicants based on wanting to sacrifice going forward.

I dont have the experience you guys have had but Im just giving a view into how a civilian views all this.

There's so much I want to say, but everyone has been hitting the nail on the head. You need to do less talking and more listening.

Becoming a military officer is not a fucking business deal.