• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Legends of Naval Aviation - Jesse Brown & Tom Hudner

yak52driver

Contributor
Capt. Thomas J. Hudner

I'm sure many of you here already know about Capt Hudner, Medal of Honor recipient, but I just read about him for the first time. The December issue of the EAA Warbird magazine has an excellent article regarding actions during his flying career. After reading it I searched here but didn't find anything regarding his MOH and thought I'd put a link up I'd found. Have to say I was amazed at his bravery and courage in attempting to save the life of a fellow aviator, hope you find it as interesting as I did. The article I read wasn't available online, it was told by Capt. Hudner to the author and was very well done. Basically, while over North Korea Capt. Hudner's squadron mate was shot down and crashed on the side of a hill in a clearing in his Corsair. Capt Hudner saw that the pilot appeared to be trapped in the smoldering plane, but alive in sub zero temps. He landed his aircraft gear up near the downed pilot and attempted to help him get out of his a/c without success A rescue helicopter brought an ax and fire extinguisher, but their attempts to rescue were not successful. I put a wiki link up that provides some additional information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Hudner,_Jr.

Owen

Here's the part you won't read in any history book.

IF Hudner could have freed Brown from the wreckage
an R-4 helo would have launched to effect a rescue.
The R-4 had one pilot and one aircrew. Those birds
could only lift three guys in the conditions.

Procedure was; leave the helo crewman for a later
rescue if possible. My question...."Capt Hudner,
after you were ordered NOT to land, how do you
look that enlisted sailor in the face and tell him
he has to remain behind enemy lines and hope
another helo can rescue him?"
I am just a dumb civillian and I don't understand.

Help me,

J. Owen Miller

Pugs

Back from the range
None
And why would you think that only single R4 would show up ? Maybe a H-19 would show up and be able to lift all of them, or perhaps the R4 is maybe not quite as anemic as we think.

The point of the Medal is selfless above and beyond and Hudner is a fine example of that.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's the part you won't read in any history book.

IF Hudner could have freed Brown from the wreckage
an R-4 helo would have launched to effect a rescue.
The R-4 had one pilot and one aircrew. Those birds
could only lift three guys in the conditions. Procedure was;
leave the helo crewman for a later rescue if possible.

Owen, the reason you won't read that in a history book is because a HO3S responded to Hudner's call for a helo and that is how he eventually left the scene. Knowing there were two pilots needing rescue, the pilot light loaded the helo before launch so your scenario doesn't hold water or even make sense.

Definitely NOT an R-4

610px-HO3S_MAG-33_Inchon_1950.jpeg

My question...."Capt Hudner,
after you were ordered NOT to land, how do you
look that enlisted sailor in the face and tell him
he has to remain behind enemy lines and hope
another helo can rescue him?"
I am just a dumb civillian and I don't understand.

Help me,

J. Owen Miller

You should have stopped right there. The rest is bullshit and pure speculation unless you were there.

CAPT Hudner did what he thought was the right thing to do at the time, who the fuck are you to second guess his decision?

In other words, we who have been in combat do not second guess acts like this and play "What if?".

CAPT Hudner as a young LTJG resolved to save his squadronmate and friend knowing he could have suffered the same fate or worse by hitting a hidden rock under the snow. He forcelanded his Corsair anyway behind enemy lines. He wasn't looking for a medal and wasn't sure after returning to the ship whether he'd be court-martialed for losing his airplane and putting himself at risk. He will always carry the memory of his close friend dying in his arms. He has often said he didn't feel like he deserved a medal at all and wears it only to preserve the memory of Jesse. How dare you insult him and his actions?

BlkPny

pilot
You should have stopped right there. The rest is bullshit and pure speculation unless you were there.

CAPT Hudner did what he thought was the right thing to do at the time, who the fuck are you to second guess his decision?

Well put. Clear, concise, and eloquent.
+1

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The Q, you can't find the Q? Are you posting under the influence or ....?

Hah, wow I must have had a couple too many last night......we had a big "snow day" today so I was up late. Yeah, saw Q, thought O club, my bad gents :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I met CAPT Hudner when he received the DGA a few years back. He was still sharp as a tack and could tell a sea story to rival the best of 'em.

Was "Diamond" LTJG Brown's callsign? Or does that have something to do with the particular plaque that picture is of?

Diamond is the gift level of the plaque on the wall at the Virginia Beach Naval Aviation Memorial

beaverslayer

pilot
John 15:13 .... "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends".

Hudner = a true American hero. A tearjerker of a tale ...

In spite of personalities, politics, & people .... Naval Aviators = brothers always. Don't ever forget.

Well said Sir.