• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Legal question

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Ok, now I understand a little better. I can see why you pulled over, because if they continued to harass you on the road, you might have gotten into an even worse accident.

I guess situations like these is why it's unfortunate more states don't have concealed carry laws.

89-LX

I have less then a month (25th of Feb) till I am 21 and canget my CCW. I am going to inquire about a X26 taser as you need a CCW to have one. One thing I am unsure about, is taser laws in Michigan. If you can carry a taser with a CCW, I am going to get the X26 for situations as this.

Edit: Scratch that. Its legal to carry a handgun, but illegal to carry a taser in Michigan. Great laws.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Heh. My father's a correction's officer. He carries pepper spray, only carries his gun if he's in REALLY bad areas, but still has the pepper spray. Why? Well, if some 6'8'' behemoth attacks you, you can't legally shoot him, but you can squirt him in the eye and run away with no hassle.

Remember, this is pepper spray, not mace. There is a difference -- no one is immune to pepper spray, although if they are extremely drugged up they might be able to fight off its effects.

89-LX

firefriendly said:
why were these guys throwing stuff at you and chasing you again?

Honestly, I couldnt tell you. Thats what makes this so messed up. I have 3 theory's though:

1) They thought I was someone else.
2) They were drunk. Since it was almost 0200, Saturday morning.
3) They were on drugs.

My car was broken into 2 times in 1 month, once on Devils night and once on November 26th also. This may be connected, this may not be connected.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I think you should choose your battles wisely.

Take a close look at the advice given by wink and Schnugg then decide if taking this matter on in either civil or criminal court is wise.

My vote would be to let it go.

saltpeter

Dude let it go. Truth is in the eyes of the presiding judge. Fix you windshield and lip and move on. The Navy doesn't want to hear your side and I'd forget it ever happened. The cop had there license plate and told you to stop, bad advice. Your car keeps getting broken into, time to move.

89-LX

feddoc said:
I think you should choose your battles wisely.

Take a close look at the advice given by wink and Schnugg then decide if taking this matter on in either civil or criminal court is wise.

My vote would be to let it go.

Thing is, I have to sue them. I dont have the $1200 to fix my drivers side door which no longer will close.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
89-LX said:
Thing is, I have to sue them. I dont have the $1200 to fix my drivers side door which no longer will close.
then I'm guessing you also don't have the $3.5 million in potential retirement to lose either. Come on. Do the smart thing.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
89-LX said:
Insurance will not cover this, even though it is full coverage. It consitutes as damages caused by other means. Doesnt count under vandalized or accident.

What kind of insurance coverage do you have? It should fall under comprehensive coverage if you have "full coverage." No fault is the liability portion. Comprehensive is contractual.

becks104

I hate to say it, but trust me...you deffinitely want to let this go if you are considering OCS. I was in a car crash nearly 4 years ago in which I was struck by a drunk driver who blew a red light and flipped my jeep 5 times. My arm punched through the glass on one of the rolls and caught the pavement leaving me with a pretty wicked scar (137 stitches) and minor nerve damage. Now somehow, despite the fact that six witnesses and two police officers stated on record that she was wasted, she was not issued a DUI. Naturally, much like yourself my internal sense of justice was extremely offended and I had to worry about covering medical bills.....so I sued in civil court. 3 years later and one week before my package was sent in for OCS my recruiter calls me and tells me they can't send in my package until the litigation is totally settled. This was the first time I had ever heard mention of that and by his own admission my recruiter should have spotted it ealier. I went to talk to my lawyer and he told me it would be an extremely big mistake to drop the suit because as rediculous as it sounds her lawyer would probably turn around and counter-sue just to make sure I dropped the suit for good. Well I naievely listened to the lawyer and and 5 months later I did win the case and got a check for $20,000. But was it really worth it??? I lost a shot at an INTEL slot that I was incredibly competitive for, and I can say without a doubt it was not worth it. Sure I can reapply, but as everyone on this board can tell you applying is no minor effort and lining up the LORs again can be a real challenge. My advice is do not get involved in litigation. Let your insurance company fight it out with theirs, but if it goes to court drop it. Your lawyer will tell you that you can have the case wrapped up before OCS but I am here to tell you that is B.S. He/She has no idea...it could take six months or it could take five years plus....its a total roll of the dice. Don't let these idiots have any more of an effect on your life then they already have, stay focused and be successful...that is your best revenge.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It seems odd that the Navy would object to processing an application for pending litigation in which you were the plaintiff. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Maybe a delay due to court proceedings? It's not as though you had the possibility of incurring a huge judgment against you. Kooky.

Brett