• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leg workouts

Trev82

pilot
in the gym surely increases your speed right? Like i said in an earlier thread i ran a 3mi into the wind at a horrific 23:30 instead of running today i'm going to hit the gym doing my squats, extensions, calf raises, etc and then maybe do a run on sunday for my pft tuesday.....just curious if doing leg weight lifting is a good supplement if your not running

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
It will definitely help you long term...however, and I'm sure that some of the jackrabbits on the site will correct me, that muscle will be a bigger asset to you on short, explosive motions...not 5k's. It's a part of the whole picture certainly, but if you want to get faster, run, run, run....and then run some more. Speedwork, intervals, speedwork, intervals and pace...rinse, lather and repeat.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
It will never hurt, but I don't think it will make the difference you're gunning for. Running is one of the few things that can't be simulated in the gym. Obviously it will help muscle stamina, strength, etc, but won't shave the minutes off like more running will.

I would focus more on single-leg workouts rather than squats and similar. The muscles move differently if you're working them on their own as it takes balance and core into consideration, which will do wonders for overall fitness. You can do one-legged DB squats, RDLs, lunges (watch out for your knees though), box step-ups (pick two of these) then throw in a set of squats, press, etc. I would use free weights as opposed to the bar as it will require more core and body muscles.

Lawman

None
If you want to add weights to your running workout, actually add weights to your running. I take a couple barbell plates wrapped in a towel and put them in a back pack. Combat runs in boots and utes are a funny thing, I watched several guys that ran 19-21 minute 3 miles suddenly start having to really work for it because under load they couldnt replicate that kind of speed. My Platoon Cmdr wasnt that fast a running, but he would run you into the dirt on a combat run because he was such a big guy that weight of boots and war gear didnt effect him as much.

Another good idea, start running on varrying terrain. Most of the running at OCS is trail runs and things like Danang and Fartlek Hill will really tax you if all you've done is run on a treadmill or track.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I'm not sure what sort of weight training on the legs works out for faster running, but I think that going to OCS with the strongest legs possible will help out. My leg muscles would usually be the first to really fatigue on things like the long ass runs through trails, doing the fire team rushes up steep ass hills, some of the PT sessions, etc...I wish I did have a bit more leg strength. It just may have held off some of my injuries a bit longer.

Trev82

pilot
thx

for the great reply's, i'll probably do a little interval training tomorrow say 5 X 800's or somethin..... the twenty pullups i did during the pft wasn't a fluke i just found out, i was able to do it again at the gym a few minutes ago...never thought this day would come... now if i can just get that damn run down!!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Trev82,

If you expect to lower your run times by using weight training, you will have to do it correctly.

You first need to understand that running and weight training use different muscle fibers within a muscle. Weight training, when done properly, will show you great improvements in the end kick, and decent improvements in overall run time.

Doing it correctly is the key. Find a certifed instructor (either ACSM or NSCA) and tell them what you want to do. What school do you attend?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Build a sold base before you work in weight training on the legs. That's what I've been trained. There are stages: base, then strength/speed, and then the taper. Considering you have a PFT on Tuesday it probably doesn't make one bit of difference between now and then what you do. Just stay healthy and don't do anything that you will still be feeling on Tuesday.

seanjohn

SNA Select
For a leg workout, focus on doing a lot of sets with low weight and high repetitions. Start at a weight you can do around 20 reps without straining too hard and gradually add weight until your doing 10-12 reps on your last sets. This will build leg strength and endurance.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
...I wish I did have a bit more leg strength. It just may have held off some of my injuries a bit longer.

Yes, yes, yes. Especially if you are just starting out, load-bearing type exercises (leg press, etc.) are essential to building up your bone density. This helps prevent overtraining injuries like the dreaded stress fracture. And, as the hills tend to kill Florida boys like me who are used to flat land, do anything possible to train on hills. Try a Stairmaster, also. Looks kinda ghey, but it's a good simulation.

Trev82

pilot
thx

haha....ya being in san diego i have many hills to choose from to run up and down on so i've begun to infuse that into my workouts, along w/ my lifting and just plain running....i appreciate all the reply's...and will to try remain healthy over the weekend before my pft....could be hard as its my roomates birthday...if i drink (probably will) i have to stick to beer (self control).