• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Left seat or right, big deck or small boy, FLIR up..or down?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Do they fly right seat in the RAG? New Phroggers fly only in the left seat (in the RAG).

There's nothing written that says they should fly from either seat (or there wasn't 3yrs ago). I'd guess they like the boots to fly from the right seat so they're prepped for the boat. I just remember flying in the right seat a lot more in the RAG. Flying left was something new and different when I got to the fleet.

KBayDog

I just remember flying in the right seat a lot more in the RAG.

Haha, interesting. All of my initial boat landings were made from the left seat, and stayed that way, until I could put all three in the paint every time. It made the transition to the right seat for boat landings VERY easy. ;)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Is that also true for your FLIR? Our Hand Control Unit is mounted how MB described. Is yours the same? I have seen pictures of Army Blackhawk where the control unit is mounted in the middle of the center console.

Our what?

Very few 60S's have a FLIR. I have yet to fly an a/c with the system, but the HCU will be mounted the same as other 60s, with controls for the left seat pilot. In the future, I'm sure the decision as to who gets to play with the FLIR will be up the HAC and needed proficiency at the system. If it's a FLIR-EX, I'd expect the guy getting the card to sit left. That said, either Mission Display (the inboard of the 2 TVs in front of each pilot) should be able to display the FLIR for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Haha, interesting. All of my initial boat landings were made from the left seat, and stayed that way, until I could put all three in the paint every time. It made the transition to the right seat for boat landings VERY easy. ;)

Were all your initials to an LHD? If so, that's some tough love.

We routinely requal on whatever air capable boat is available. Cross cockpit to an LPD/LSD is no big deal for 2P+, but not the preferred way I'd want to do it with a brand new guy. Cross cockpit on a Burke FLT I is awful, and I wouldn't put a new guy left seat going there. That's just some awful headwork.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our what?

Very few 60S's have a FLIR. I have yet to fly an a/c with the system, but the HCU will be mounted the same as other 60s, with controls for the left seat pilot.

But times are a changin'

MH-60S at Fallon last week
March2009FallonSunday292.jpg

March2009FallonSunday289.jpg

HJ Photo

Pags

N/A
pilot
But times are a changin'

Very true. But only one HSC(exp) squadron and one HSC(cvw) squadron have them currently (not counting HSC-3, NSAWC, or the Pax squadrons). I should have a lot more time to play with the MTS during my shore tour.

How'd I know your superb photos of the Blk IIIs would invariably pop up here?

Pags

N/A
pilot
You betcha. :D

We also stay current on whatever air-capable ships are available; LPDs and LSDs are pretty easy compared to the big deck, IMO.

Sitting left seat on a port-starboard ain't no thang. Do you guys go to CGs, DDGs, FFGs or only L-class boats?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very true. But only one HSC(exp) squadron and one HSC(cvw) squadron have them currently (not counting HSC-3, NSAWC, or the Pax squadrons). I should have a lot more time to play with the MTS during my shore tour.

How'd I know your superb photos of the Blk IIIs would invariably pop up here?

A picture tells a thousand words perhaps? Speaking of the HSC/HSM Wing...

Helopaintschemes.jpg

MH-60SHellfireonboard.jpg

That better, MB?
CVW-9MH-60R.jpg

HJ Photos

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Sitting left seat on a port-starboard ain't no thang. Do you guys go to CGs, DDGs, FFGs or only L-class boats?

Anything other than L-class would be seriously out of the ordinary for Marines. No reason to go elsewhere.

KBayDog

Sitting left seat on a starboard-port ain't no thang, neither. It's all about flying the numbers and picking up references.

We go to CGs, DDGs, and FFGs VERY rarely (in fact, I've never done it). Funny - the Phrog guys who have done it aren't really itching to do it again. I can't imagine why. I guess that's why they invented HSC :)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Anything other than L-class would be seriously out of the ordinary for Marines. No reason to go elsewhere.

Kind of what I figured, but wasn't sure if USMC Phrog squadrons would take a small boy in a pinch for DLQs. Do y'all maintain DLQs between deployments, or will a "typical" Marine go awhile before seeing the boat?