• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving Vietnam vs AFG

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This technology would be a game changer. Been keeping my eye on it.

Well, that's a much more productive use of money than filing frivolous lawsuits against SpaceX. Maybe he should throw more money in that direction and less at vexatious litigation to prop up his failure of a space startup.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The Pakistani Taliban have already been suicide bombing the Chinese in Pakistan. Let the games begin.

This technology would be a game changer. Been keeping my eye on it.

Chinese spies will on this like a fat kid at a chocolate shop. I give it a year before China either buys it at three times it’s value or amazingly announces their own (amazingly similar) version.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Still missing my point. You can not effectively extract minerals during a civil war - the war in Afghanistan is not over, just our direct participation. Another side point that people often get confused by…rare earth minerals are not at all rare. North America could easily match China in production but we don’t like the environmental impact of scratching them out of the earth and then the subsequent act of processing them. “Flat Earth” environmentalist are the types that believe if you can’t see it, it doesn’t pollute, so we let China do it. In a national emergency it wouldn’t take very long to open those lines.

Overall the only real value of Afghanistan to China is to develop a road network that bypasses India, Russia, and the ocean trade routes that are so critical to China’s economy.

Interesting comment from Fareed Zakaria. When The Taliban opened the prisons, the only people they executed were 9 members of ISIS-K (or is it ISK ?)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

robav8r

None
Contributor
Right after saying "I'm not asking for a single dollar," the guy drops his wife's PayPal and Venmo contacts... :rolleyes: "something, something... tear the whole fucking system down." Kinda sad to watch.
My love for @Brett327 aside, this guy was wrong. I understand, and agree with his sentiment - 100%, but you can’t lead, effectively when you go public like this. Disagree with policy?, then quietly resign, move on, whatever. But you can’t be “in Command” and then openly subvert the structure and intent of the chain of command. Just my .02c

Hair Warrior

Contributor
My love for @Brett327 aside, this guy was wrong. I understand, and agree with his sentiment - 100%, but you can’t lead, effectively when you go public like this. Disagree with policy?, then quietly resign, move on, whatever. But you can’t be “in Command” and then openly subvert the structure and intent of the chain of command. Just my .02c
That’s pretty much what Jocko says about COL David Hackworth, when Hackworth got ousted from the Army (when on track to make general) for speaking out against how the brass were poorly running the Vietnam war.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In his thesis H.R. McMaster would disagree with you…but as we know from real life he just buckled down and “followed orders.” In short, the view changes from where you stand. Me, I disagree. He had every right and responsibility to open his mouth and crap on bad policy and an ineffective chain of command and, in turn, suffer the consequences (like losing his retirement ).

robav8r

None
Contributor
In his thesis H.R. McMaster would disagree with you…but as we know from real life he just buckled down and “followed orders.” In short, the view changes from where you stand. Me, I disagree. He had every right and responsibility to open his mouth and crap on bad policy and an ineffective chain of command and, in turn, suffer the consequences (like losing his retirement ).
No. If you are in the seat, wearing the pin (CAS - Navy) you uphold and support the mission, the CoC. If you are so adamantly opposed to the policies of your superiors, then resign, move on, and THEN speak your mind. The greatest aspect of our military is the respect and support we give to our CoC up to, and including, our CINC.