• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leaving for Japan in 2 days

BerkeleyNROTC09

Any last minute advice? All I know is I am on a "certain ship", and will be out for nearly "2 months". Apparently this is very different than the usual 2/C Cruise, because they are usually around a month long.

A few questions:

Do I need my SDB's? The uniform list says I need them...but I'm not really sure I do.

Will cell phones work over there, or should I find some kind of payphone...or maybe email aboard ship?

If I was going for 2 months, would that mean a bunch of port calls, or a 2 months of training?

What kind of ports are close, and are more likely to be stopped at?

How much $$ would you recommend to bring, and how expensive are the meals compared to the US?

Thanks..I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but until then.... ;)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
2 months? Damn...

About the SDBs my roommate is on her 2/c cruise right now and she cruised down to Brisbane and because of that she did need her SDBs. Ask your unit if there is an officer who is coordinating all the midshipman on your ship and if you can get in touch with him. He'll be able to answer that for you.

helo_wifey

Will cell phones work over there, or should I find some kind of payphone...or maybe email aboard ship?

If you have a GSM phone maybe, but you'll have to have an international roaming plan (yes?). There are payphones all around base you can use, and there is wifi (not the greatest) in some of the common areas. I'm sure there are other places on base (BOQ, etc) that you can check email. There is also email on the ship, and you can't use your cell on the ship (obviously).

How much $$ would you recommend to bring, and how expensive are the meals compared to the US?

Eating on base can be fairly cheap. There's fast food as well as numerous clubs. You can get a reasonable meal out in town for 1000-1500 yen which is about $8.50 to $14.00...ask around to the people you're going to be working with, they'll have some good suggestions.

Have fun!

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Yea, I dont remember having to pay wardroom bills. I just got in the foodline and chowed down. Japan was a great time. Ive never done so much drinking in 4 wks. But dont get me wrong, I worked my ass off. Especially since I was fortunate enough to be assigned to deck division. I remember painting the side of the boat while watching the other mids take off to drink the night away. Bastards. But other than that, remember that you represent the U.S. Dont go showing off and being a dickbrain around the local people. It just makes you look like an idiot and its an easy way to get sent back to the states with your CO waiting for you with a paddle.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Enjoy your cruise. Both my 1st and 2nd class cruises were on CGs outta Norfolk, and the farthest I ever sailed was sunny Belfast Maine.. Make sure to ask as many questions as possible and "get in the way" alot. Don't be the douchebag mid who sleeps 20 hours a day, eats, watches a movie, then racks out again.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enjoy your cruise. Both my 1st and 2nd class cruises were on CGs outta Norfolk, and the farthest I ever sailed was sunny Belfast Maine.. Make sure to ask as many questions as possible and "get in the way" alot. Don't be the douchebag mid who sleeps 20 hours a day, eats, watches a movie, then racks out again.

"Get in the way" when it is safe and reasonable to do so. Some evolutions require people to observe at a safe distance.

MasterBates

Getting in way of FDD or LSO (HSL) while straightening and traversing is bad..

As is trying to ask 100 questions when aircraft inbound with Main Module Sump Chip.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Or standing in the middle of the passage asking "where do I go" during GQ drill.. saw that one on my 1st class. Of course, I should have specified that "getting in the way" meant actually trying to work with the crew in you specified duty station.. that often meant getting in the way for me, since I had no earthly idea what the hell I was doing.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

So pretty much the outcome of your cruise is what YOU make of it.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Getting in way of FDD or LSO (HSL) while straightening and traversing is bad..

As is trying to ask 100 questions when aircraft inbound with Main Module Sump Chip.
Throw in a Loss of Lube Oil in #1 MRG and then it gets really fun.

MasterBates

Or the SWOs doing BECCE's and not "stopping training" when the helo has a REAL emergency.

SH-60B Intermediate Transmission: $34,000
SH-60B Int XMSN Chip/Temp detector: $780
SH-60B Complete, with 3 man crew worth of SGLI: $39,200,000

Seeing OIC attempt to simulate "Woman overboard" with the OOD: Priceless