• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Leave while waiting for API, or at different points

angelsOfire

I was just curious about being able to request leave while waiting for API, I think I remember reading something on here about having to do certain things as soon as you got down there. My question is can you take leave? If so who does the request go to, and what exactly (if anything) do you need to get done before you can do so.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I was just curious about being able to request leave while waiting for API, I think I remember reading something on here about having to do certain things as soon as you got down there. My question is can you take leave? If so who does the request go to, and what exactly (if anything) do you need to get done before you can do so.

Generally you have to be IFS-and-all-your-paperwork complete, just waiting to class up. Route your request as directed by the smiling Ensigns at the Flight Management desk...

Don't expect to be able to take weeks and weeks, though. When I was in A-pool I took two long weekends.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe he is asking about the Green side. My info is a little dated but leave was made available to us though there did seem to be some prerequisites.

cclement

None
Leave is easy to take as long as you're not missing anything and you have the appropriate number of days. I took leave before I did IFS. You just have to turn it in two weeks before hand.

angelsOfire

yea i am on the green side, thanks for your input, also any gouge on the move down there would be greatly appriciated. as to where the good places are, any other tips (i've been told you don't have to live in the boq, i was planning on bringing my girlfriend with me).

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
yea i am on the green side, thanks for your input, also any gouge on the move down there would be greatly appriciated. as to where the good places are, any other tips (i've been told you don't have to live in the boq, i was planning on bringing my girlfriend with me).

Stay away from TOPGUN Property Management. I'm with them, and wish I wasn't. If you want a good realtor for a house or apartment, check out Perdido Sands Realty. The owner is a retired Marine. Good guy, loves helping out students.

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
If you want a good realtor for a house or apartment, check out Perdido Sands Realty. The owner is a retired Marine. Good guy, loves helping out students.

Also check out Sun Stone Property. The guy is a retired master chief who, also, swings good deals for flight school studs for renting or buying a house/condo. Helped me out a TON a few years back when I went through Pcola.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

I "Hear" that you have to get your gray belt, get an up chit, and take a couple of EWS correspondence classes before you can take any leave. At least that's the gouge that was passed to me. My roommate has a buddy who is checking in on Oct 1. We're going to get the latest from him. I'll probably post it here.

teabag53

pilot

I "hear" that leave is denied for anybody that chooses not to use proper spelling and punctuation.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Related question that doesn't rate its own thread: Can any current Marine SNA's comment on the current wait times at all stages of the game? I am commissioning in May and was told I would probably go to TBS in October. If I can dodge Mike Co then I'll be done by March 2011. I was told by my HRA that IFS is now in Quantico for all Marine SNA's.

My question: How long of a wait between TBS and IFS, IFS and API, etc...

Thanks

sanders

Related question that doesn't rate its own thread: Can any current Marine SNA's comment on the current wait times at all stages of the game? I am commissioning in May and was told I would probably go to TBS in October. If I can dodge Mike Co then I'll be done by March 2011. I was told by my HRA that IFS is now in Quantico for all Marine SNA's.

My question: How long of a wait between TBS and IFS, IFS and API, etc...

Thanks

I commissioned last may and I am heading to TBS in a few weeks and I can tell you that the October company (Alpha Company) does not graduate till May. The extra time is due to the leave during Thanksgiving and Christmas. From what I hear, you will start IFS within a few weeks of graduating TBS (May or June) and after that, it will be several months until you start API. However, you still have 1.5 years till you get to that point, so it is hard to say what the wait will look like then. Last I heard it was 6-9 months.

I have also heard that you can cut down the wait time for API considerably if you volunteer to go to Vance to do primary with the AF.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
I commissioned last may and I am heading to TBS in a few weeks and I can tell you that the October company (Alpha Company) does not graduate till May. The extra time is due to the leave during Thanksgiving and Christmas. From what I hear, you will start IFS within a few weeks of graduating TBS (May or June) and after that, it will be several months until you start API. However, you still have 1.5 years till you get to that point, so it is hard to say what the wait will look like then. Last I heard it was 6-9 months.

I have also heard that you can cut down the wait time for API considerably if you volunteer to go to Vance to do primary with the AF.
Thanks for the insight sir

Mos

None

What you generally have to take care of when you get here before IFS: preliminaries (psd, pass & tag, stucon paperwork), nomi physical, anthro measurements, DIVOLTC, FAA physical, get stash job. You may also have to get an NMCI account, though I've heard they may have phased that requirement out.

Related question - how long before classing up? Most inteligent answer I can give is that it all depends. Depends on how many people are going through the pipeline, needs of the Navy, any hangups in your status (such as NOMI exam follow ups). I reported here in February, took about 80 days to class up for IFS, then another 80 days after IFS to class up for API. Many of my API classmates seem to have classed up within a month or two. So it really varies.

Leave Policy: in my experience, Flight Management generally doesn't let people go on leave unless 1) they are IFS complete, 2) have all pre-IFS requirements done (see above) and have a wait period before IFS, 3) have a family emergency or something similar. The bottom line, as someone has already pointed out, is that leave is not to interfere with training. If you can show that you've all requirements that you can get done, and you have a window of opportunity, then you can request leave and they'll hear you out. The worst that'll happen is that they'll say no.