• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LDO/CWO to NFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbybrock

None
Gentlmen,
I'm an Army H-60 pilot. CWO type. Most of you probably know that about 90% of our cockpits are filled by CWO's. All instructors, test pilots and safety geeks are CWO's. So here's my question. I was surfing the net and ran across a site that chronicled the plight of some new NFO's. One of the guys was a warrant. I believe that they all went into the P-3 community. I think this was back in 00 or 01. How are LDO/CWO NFO's thrown into the mix with unrestricted officers?
The army systems is broken and the LDO thing has been thrown around for a while. If there are any LDO NFO's still out there, I was just curious as to how it might have worked out.
Bobby

TANGO 1

Contributor
Sorry Men, but the Marine Corp likes to put college graduates behind the stick. I would think you would have to get a degree to cross over. I am sure you can cross over as long as you have your degree. There is always something you can do, you just need to talk to the right guys. Prior service recruiters mainly.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
bobbybrock,

There are quite a few LDO NFOs in the P3 world. It was my pleasure to fly with one who was the TACCO on my crew. They are definitely appreciated in the squadron with the depth of knowledge and experience in the Navy, military in general. The LDO that I know, at his 22 year point and he is coming up on O4, he joked around with me that he would stay in and keep tucking along as long as the Navy wanted him.

I can't speak to the nuts and bolts of transferring over, but I can tell you that we have them in the community. For the rest of us, we just don't compete against them with regards to fitreps. And there isn't any stigma with being an LDO, if anything, as I mentioned before, it is an asset. We also had a fromer Marine, transferred over, and became a Navy NFO in our squadron. I am not 100% sure if they are ineligible for command.

Drop me a private message if you have any specific questions, I can field them with my friend if you want.

John

bobbybrock

None
gentlemen,
Thank you for your replies. No, I'm not intrested in switching over. I'm just curious as to how things are done if you have unrestricted guys working along side LDO's in the same job. The army has had some problems as of late with our way of doing business. The idea of switching us to LDO's has come up. Most warrants who fly already fulfill the educational requirements for a regular commision. I think I'm pretty typical. I came into the flight training with a B. S. in applied math. Most of my pers who are senior CWO2's or CWO3's have there degrees.
I'm happy as a helo driver. Just wanted some input on how theses guys are excepted in the NFO and aviation community in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.