• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LCOL Grossman lecture

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Some of you have heard of LCOL Grossman. Most of those that have heard of him are probably only familiar with his "Sheepdog" essay. There is a great deal more to what this man can teach all warriors (and has, to include spec ops, deploying Rangers and Marines). His "lecture" was a 4 hour training event. It ranged from psychologically surviving combat, the physiology of stress, the warrior spirit, violence in schools (a persuasive argument that the Belsan, Russia school massacre was a dress rehearsal for a similar attack in the U.S.), the kill enabling process,violent visual imagery (shocking evidence of the neurological damage done to our youth from excessive viewing and playing of violent video games) and much more. He trains thousands of military personnel a year, as well as law enforcement agencies, and other governmental organizations. I was well aware of LCOL Grossman's vitae before attending this lecture and I was still blown away. This guy puts on a terrific program. He is a dynamic speaker, humorous, respectful and dramatic. His closing minutes speaking of a cop killed in the WTC, and Saving Private Ryan had a room full of warriors (mostly cops) riveted and some in tears. If you ever get to see LCOL Grossman speak, make every effort to do so. You can order his books On Killing, Pulitzer prize nominated and on the USMC read list, and the new On Combat from his web site. I highly recommend both.

Sorry for raising the dead thread again, Ive gathered they have a shelf life here.

Anyone who may meet or merge with the enemy should read On Killing.

He's lectured at my workplace. Wrong crowd for him, though I agree with Mr. Wink.

Normaly Ide recommend the book Gates Of Fire but with 300 out its too corny.

On Combat I ended up skimming, its less science and more war story.

For sport I used USAF SQDN's over Korea and came close to his study, though mine wasn't close to real science, Over 90% of Air Combat victories came from 15% of its pilots. I bet you guys have far more accurate stats.

I tried to reverse engineer the process. We had 30 students all with combat, several had done alot of work. In the Killhouse with SIMUNITION, which is NOTHING like paintball. It has killed people and nobody takes it lightly, I found what I think was a trend. After doing five or so runs a day for a week these guys had a tremendous amount of simulated combat as a unit.

What did I find? The guys scoring the most kills seemed, from the God Spot, to bully their way into positions where they were likely to make contact. None of these guys were timid. None. I've got my theories, and they're founded in less science than my "experiment".

The shooter's also shared my affinity for shooting someone many times. Whereas those with less time on the two way range haven't seen the Zombies.

End of the day it wasn't close to scientific anyway.

And this is not a topic the establishment enjoys, I have a video of myself screaming at a soldier to return fire (he had the biggest toy) he was shot in the mouth shortly afterwards. He kept repeating over and over that he couldnt get a clear shot (the always excusable excuse), he had a very clear shot, we had a horde of them tangled in our concertina wire. Gotta love those man dresses:)

He just hadn't been ready to fight for his life.

Some of its genetic, 90% is trainable.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry for raising the dead thread again, Ive gathered they have a shelf life here.

Enough already! ;) Keep up the good work and continue to contribute with this level of dedication. It is well welcomed!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of its genetic, 90% is trainable.

That is the key lesson in most all the studies and real world cases. Good training, and competent leadership can make nearly anyone a fighter and improve his odds of survival measurably. That applies to the trigger pullers on the ground, the aviators overhead and the sailor that must fight for his life in a battle damaged compartment on a ship.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I had read this essay before, I like it for the most part...especially the bit about how there's really degrees of sheep/sheepdog in everyone. I think that essay may be best suited for people who don't really understand the "sheepdog" mentality (and I partially include myself;))

I also ordered On Killing after reading some reviews, looks like it should be a good read.