• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lawmaker again launches Navy renaming bid

Do you think the Navy should change the name to Department of the Navy and Marine Corps?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
This is from the Navy Times

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2013/02/navy-lawmaker-again-launches-navy-renaming-bid-021613w

The article brings to light a North Carolina lawmaker who wants to rename the Navy to the Department of the Navy and Marine Corps. So while I definitely have my respect for the Marines and truly believe they're vital to the overall mission, I am somewhat upset with this news. Why should this be a congressman's major agenda while issues like continuing resolution and the sequester are right on the horizon.

I thought I would share and rouse up some discussion on current events. What do you gentlemen think of this?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
This comes up every couple of years and then quietly goes away when it is learned that no one really cares.

Renegade One

None
What do you gentlemen think of this?

The article says: “When a young Marine dies, the family receives a letter from the Secretary of the Navy with the Navy flag,” [REP Walter] Jones [R-N.C.] said. “The Marine Corps has earned the right to be seen as an equal in name, and that’s what this is all about.”

I wanna know more about that NAVY flag that gets presented. Doesn't the family get that red, white and blue thingie with the stripes and stuff?

Would the family's grief and loss be somehow mitigated by different letterhead stationery?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would the family's grief and loss be somehow mitigated by different letterhead stationery?
Hardly, just another CongressCritter ploy to get media exposure... when there are so many more important issues to be faced, negotiated, and solved. Shame on them all!:(
BzB

phrogpilot73

Hardly, just another CongressCritter ploy to get media exposure... when there are so many more important issues to be faced, negotiated, and solved. Shame on them all!:(
BzB
Actually, this is like the 12th year in a row he has introduced this bill. I don't think he does it for media exposure. I think he does it because he believes in it.

The Department of the Navy was established in 1798, and the Marine Corps has been officially included in that structure since 1834. I don't see a compelling reason to change the name now.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Shouldn't Congress being doing more important stuff like stopping the entire DoD from being shut down on march 1st?

He's hoping to put the cost of all the new stationary and miscellaneous sundry items with the new logo in the bill that fixes sequestration...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Actually, this is like the 12th year in a row he has introduced this bill. I don't think he does it for media exposure. I think he does it because he believes in it.

Then I would respectfully suggest that he find something more important to believe in.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shouldn't Congress being doing more important stuff like stopping the entire DoD from being shut down on march 1st? Or this: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/18/us-pols-launch-campaign-to-save-olympic-wrestling/

Oh yeah, I forgot, the economy is humming along, unemployment is back below 4% and baseball is now testing for HGH...

BzB
He may believe in it, but wouldn't his (and all his collegues) energies be better expended trying to fix the horrible fiscal problems facing our country? PRIORITIES!:(
BzB

phrogpilot73

Then I would respectfully suggest that he find something more important to believe in.
He may believe in it, but wouldn't his (and all his collegues) energies be better expended trying to fix the horrible fiscal problems facing our country? PRIORITIES!
I never said he was right, but he's from Farmville, NC and his district encompasses Cherry Point, Camp Lejeune, and New River... Again, it makes sense that he honestly believes in it, but I haven't taken the time (because I focus on my representatives) to figure out what action he has taken on other issues...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I never said he was right, but he's from Farmville, NC and his district encompasses Cherry Point, Camp Lejeune, and New River... Again, it makes sense that he honestly believes in it, but I haven't taken the time (because I focus on my representatives) to figure out what action he has taken on other issues...

I met him once. I gave him some suggestions about the Harrier Dude Amendment, which states:

"Any person who makes noise complaints about an airport that was in existence before the complainer lived there should henceforth and forever forwardly shut the FUCK up, and receive absolutely no relief whatsoever"

As soon as he found out that I wasn't technically one of his constituents, he rapidly lost interest.

The amendment is stuck in committee.

jmcquate

Contributor
I met him once. I gave him some suggestions about the Harrier Dude Amendment, which states:

"Any person who makes noise complaints about an airport that was in existence before the complainer lived there should henceforth and forever forwardly shut the FUCK up, and receive absolutely no relief whatsoever"

As soon as he found out that I wasn't technically one of his constituents, he rapidly lost interest.

The amendment is stuck in committee.

Renegade One

None
I never said he was right, but ...his district encompasses Cherry Point, Camp Lejeune, and New River... Again, it makes sense that he honestly believes in it
If you Marines don't care, I don't care either.

If any of YOU did (and maybe the Commandant)…I might throw in differently. Until then? Yeah…politics, I guess...

No worries, tho…isn't Congress on a recess of some sort?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Waste. Of. Time.

The wrestling thing is way more important to me. Seriously. I'd much rather have wrestling remain an Olympic sport than get the letterhead changed. Besides, "Department of the Navy and Marine C0rps" is such a mouthful.