• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last Tango in AW Land (Lifestyle questions from prospective SNFO)

tangoman

What were your undergrad/grad degrees in?

You haven't met stress yet until you're in primary and every single thing you do is analyzed. You walk in every single day and go to a brief where you're quizzed quizzed quizzed. Then you jump in the plane and get graded on everything you do. And then you go home, study, and do it again tomorrow.

Classical Music, performance and yes I am quite used to being under the spotlight and being critiqued. I've been seriously at this since 16, over 10000 hours of practice. In the entire North American continent there are literally only a handful of orchestral positions open for my instrument each year. What ends up happening is I learn of an opening and then I spend a few months preparing. I then spend around $500 to travel there. When I get there I meet anywhere from fifty to two hundred people who are all auditioning for the same spot. All that work comes down to about five minutes in the spotlight where I'm heard by the committee; if they like my playing I move to the next round, if not bye. This whole process isn't stressful in a life or death sort of way but it's still stressful; the hundreds of hours of practice come down to how you perform for a few minutes. Anyways, the question becomes, why am I considering NFO now? Well, my first dream as a kid was to be a pilot. I developed myopia as kid and thought it wouldn't be possible for me to fly in a jet. NFO fits the bill; I would actually have a career doing what I like, plus job security etc. I also like classical music but there are basically no jobs in classical music performance.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Classical Music, performance and yes I am quite used to being under the spotlight and being critiqued. I've been seriously at this since 16, over 10000 hours of practice. In the entire North American continent there are literally only a handful of orchestral positions open for my instrument each year. What ends up happening is I learn of an opening and then I spend a few months preparing. I then spend around $500 to travel there. When I get there I meet anywhere from fifty to two hundred people who are all auditioning for the same spot. All that work comes down to about five minutes in the spotlight where I'm heard by the committee; if they like my playing I move to the next round, if not bye. This whole process isn't stressful in a life or death sort of way but it's still stressful; the hundreds of hours of practice come down to how you perform for a few minutes. Anyways, the question becomes, why am I considering NFO now? Well, my first dream as a kid was to be a pilot. I developed myopia as kid and thought it wouldn't be possible for me to fly in a jet. NFO fits the bill; I would actually have a career doing what I like, plus job security etc. I also like classical music but there are basically no jobs in classical music performance.

Dude, I'm sure you're a bitchin' musician, but what you've just done is akin to coming home from college and telling your baptist minister father that you're gay and that you're really good at giving blow jobs. Free advice: If you want to be an aviator, lock this little detail about yourself up in a box for a while until you get established. :D

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... All that work comes down to about five minutes in the spotlight where I'm heard by the committee; if they like my playing I move to the next round, if not bye..... it's still stressful; the hundreds of hours of practice come down to how you perform for a few minutes...
I feel your pain. And I hear you -- as when I was 12, I took second place @ the competition for state accordion champion. It was grueling, it was a bitch. They said if I'd spent more time practicing instead of reading comics and practicing self-abuse as some 12 year olds are wont to do ... I'd probably have had a shot at the Lawrence Welk Show.

But I couldn't ... and I wouldn't ... so I went Naval Aviation. :)

tangoman

Dude, I'm sure you're a bitchin' musician, but what you've just done is akin to coming home from college and telling your baptist minister father that you're gay and that you're really good at giving blow jobs. Free advice: If you want to be an aviator, lock this little detail about yourself up in a box for a while until you get established. :D

Brett
Haha, yeah I hear ya. My dad's a cop, I've been around cop culture and I've been around artsy fartsy liberal arts culture and know how to adapt and fit in to both. That said
I'm secure enough in my own straight heterosexual manliness to say I like classical music and dancing tango. I also like shooting guns, heavy metal, and watching ufc, flying obviously, etc.

I feel your pain. And I hear you -- as when I was 12, I took second place @ the competition for state accordion champion. It was grueling, it was a bitch. They said if I'd spent more time practicing instead of reading comics and practicing self-abuse as some 12 year olds are wont to do ... I'd probably have had a shot at the Lawrence Welk Show.

But I couldn't ... and I wouldn't ... so I went Naval Aviation. :)

I know, I know haha. I learned a long time no one gives a rats ass about classical music or how hard it is to actually make a living playing professionally.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haha, yeah I hear ya. My dad's a cop, I've been around cop culture and I've been around artsy fartsy liberal arts culture and know how to adapt and fit in to both. That said
I'm secure enough in my own straight heterosexual manliness to say I like classical music and dancing tango. I also like shooting guns, heavy metal, and watching ufc, flying obviously, etc.

Dude, you're not hearing me! What's next? Cat ownership and Speedo wearing?
;)
Brett

tangoman

Heh, chicks dig guys who can dance. I've gotten laid and made out with some hot chicks who I met while dancing. Don't bash it till you try it lol.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
That said I'm secure enough in my own straight heterosexual manliness to say I like classical music and dancing tango. I also like shooting guns, heavy metal, and watching ufc, flying obviously, etc.

You definitely should have started with the more manly stuff. Cuz now I have a picture of you in my head as super skinny, short and neat haircut, crosses your legs "girl style", and in general looks at something mechanical and scatches your head. Did you see Chuck Liddell on Dancing with the Stars???? There ya go....

And yes, I'm just messin' with ya. And I'm the "nice" one in wardrooms.

tangoman

You definitely should have started with the more manly stuff. Cuz now I have a picture of you in my head as super skinny, short and neat haircut, crosses your legs "girl style", and in general looks at something mechanical and scatches your head. Did you see Chuck Liddell on Dancing with the Stars???? There ya go....

And yes, I'm just messin' with ya. And I'm the "nice" one in wardrooms.

Well get that outta your head. I go to gold's gym, I've been lifting weights regularly for years. I've been trying out crossfit recently. I'm around 20 pull ups now. I'm a lighter build but I can bench 1.5x my body weight. I have an Uncle who was in SWAT and is a tactics instructor now. I've been shooting guns since I was in 2nd grade. Yes I do artsy fartsy stuff as well but that's definetly not all there is to me. I've have a road bike and bicycle regularly and also got hit by a car not too long ago. And seriuosly, tango, is a macho kind of dance. The man leads and it's very sensual. You've got to be very confident in yourself to walk up to some girl, look her in the eyes, and basically run the show. You put your ego on the line when you do stuff like that just like when you walk to up to some girl at a bar and start a conversation.

haha.

go here http://sites.google.com/site/dctangocalendar/

You're toast buddy.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
After such a great start, who would have thought tangoman would tell us about his classical music interest and tango dancing abilities? Then back it up by telling us about how many chick's you've laid from dancing with them and what a bad ass you are in the gym. Here's some free advice: Go make a new username and start from scratch. Your first attempt has been nothing but fail.

tangoman

After such a great start, who would have thought tangoman would tell us about his classical music interest and tango dancing abilities? Then back it up by telling us about how many chick's you've laid from dancing with them and what a bad ass you are in the gym. Here's some free advice: Go make a new username and start from scratch. Your first attempt has been nothing but fail.

Yeah, I love you too treetop flyer. I know isn't it so impossible to comprehend that a guy who likes classical music and dancing isn't a sissy? Who could believe that someone who likes classical music also likes shooting guns and heavy metal. I guess I am a bit of a contradiction.