• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Last minute cramming advice

asmec47

Been studying for a few weeks and still feel woefully unprepared for the test. Used the Barron's, Peterson's the ARCO, and some gouge from this site. Take the test Tuesday, Sept 4 at 9AM. Any last minute words of wisdom? Any help is much appreciated

KBayDog

Been studying for a few weeks and still feel woefully unprepared for the test. Used the Barron's, Peterson's the ARCO, and some gouge from this site. Take the test Tuesday, Sept 4 at 9AM. Any last minute words of wisdom? Any help is much appreciated

Don't suck.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

If you're not ready then don't take it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It's an aptitude test dudes (and dudettes). There is no reason to nuke the thing. I know you feel a lot of pressure to do as well as humanely possible on it, as the grades do matter, but in theory, these are skills that you should already have in some capacity if you are going to start this line of work. I'm not saying that I have ever worked a timed word problem in the cockpit, but it is testing your basic mental math, your reasoning, and your understanding of very very basic physics, which are important abilities for any aviator. I'm sure there are folks who got crap ASTB scores and went on to do awesome in their careers, and I'm sure there were ASTB rockstars that failed out of flight school, but in general, I'd say that having a grasp of these concepts should be a given the day you come in the door of API. That is *I think* what this test is checking. Cue API instructor dogpile on me for swerving out of my lane, sorry in advance gents if this is BS.

asmec47

Is there any other useful material I am overlooking? Will my recruiter inform me if my scores are not competitive enough for the selection board?

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
Will my recruiter inform me if my scores are not competitive enough for the selection board?

In my experience, the test proctor told me my scores weren't competitive enough. My recruiter said they were, and suggested trying my packet with those scores before retesting and risking a lower score. I went with my recruiter's advice and got pro-rec'ed with my original scores.
Last week or so, someone posted a document with the thresh hold competitive profile from the latest boards. I think 50 was the OAR, and 6's for the other scores.

exNavyOffRec

Is there any other useful material I am overlooking? Will my recruiter inform me if my scores are not competitive enough for the selection board?

In the past generally a recruiter would, but now goaling is by applications submitted, so it is the best interest of the recruiter to have you submit an application, regardless of what your score is, now that isn't in the best interest of you but many recruiters don't care.

Here is my experience in over 3 years of recruiting officers, many of them for aviation, PFAR of 7 50/50 picked up, PFAR 8 or 9 I never had one not picked up, 6 or 5 never had one picked up and that was even with excellent GPA's.

also.... if you don't do good the first time then retake it.

BDfan88

In the past generally a recruiter would, but now goaling is by applications submitted, so it is the best interest of the recruiter to have you submit an application, regardless of what your score is, now that isn't in the best interest of you but many recruiters don't care.

Here is my experience in over 3 years of recruiting officers, many of them for aviation, PFAR of 7 50/50 picked up, PFAR 8 or 9 I never had one not picked up, 6 or 5 never had one picked up and that was even with excellent GPA's.

also.... if you don't do good the first time then retake it.
My ASTB is 7/8/6 61 and plan on only applying for SNA. So would the board even care about the 6?

BUDU

It's an aptitude test. If you aren't ready, a few more days isn't going to prepare you. I only had about a week to prepare before I had to go in, and I did fine. If you don't feel prepared after a few weeks, ain't nothing gonna fix that.

.... Cue API instructor dogpile on me for swerving out of my lane, sorry in advance gents if this is BS.

thedesigninspiration.com.png