• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lasik?

donnyglaze

Anyone hear any recent news about Naval Aviators recieving Lasik? I just heard that it was just done, and want to know if anyone else has any news or information to share about it? I am scheduled to get PRK later this month, just intime for Christmas, but if they are allowing Lasik now, or will be soon, I'd like to know so I'd at least have the option to choose. Thanks.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Don't know the rules...I'm sure someone does....but...

The requirements for those in the program are markedly different than those trying to get into the program. Be sure that you are referencing the appropriate set of requirements. This may be one of those...

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Just about every month someone hears that LASIK just got approved. One of my classmates at OCS lost his NFO designator because he heard that and got LASIK instead of PRK.

Per my surgeon, the only MAJOR difference in the results from the two is that recovery from LASIK is more comfortable. You're considering joining the military, a little bit of pain and a few days on Vicodin will do you good. Puts hair on your chest, just like eating vegetables. Rumors have a habit of being wrong, play it safe and go with PRK.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
I got PRK and got an SNA slot. I definately reccommend PRK to anyone, the few days afterwards is rough but not that bad. My vision is awesome and the results was all I was interested in. If you want to try another route, then best of luck to you. If you want to know anything about PRK, then send me a PM, and I will share what I know. :)

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
Holy crap - who needs to take Vicodin after PRK?!?! Not fully necessary. It wasn't even suggested to me - just some anti-inflammation drops and a shield over my eye while sleeping. Skip the V if you can.
PRK is not that painful - no worse than an eyelash or a little smoke in your eyes, and it's not that constant of an irritation. If you need any info, PM me as well...

AppleCello

I took a couple of regular tylenol the first day but I told the doctor to keep his horse pills--they just make me vomit anyhow. It was all ok as there was no need for them, and I think I used the pain-drops once and never again after (They slow the healing process). I just stuck with the normal moisture drops. I went through a ton of those in the first week, and my recovery was about 6 days until I could really go anywhere. But it was an amazing procedure, very easy, great results. Go for a consultation and see if you are a candidate for corrective laser surgeries of any kind first.

also happy to PM if you have questions, read here for my account of the process: http://web.mac.com/applecello/iWeb/Site/PRK%20Blog/PRK%20Blog.html

Holy crap - who needs to take Vicodin after PRK?!?! Not fully necessary. It wasn't even suggested to me - just some anti-inflammation drops and a shield over my eye while sleeping. Skip the V if you can.
PRK is not that painful - no worse than an eyelash or a little smoke in your eyes, and it's not that constant of an irritation. If you need any info, PM me as well...

Nator

Lasik Not Authorized

LASIK is not currently authorized for flight. A small clinical trial has started at the refractive surgery center at NTC, but 1) it is limited to certain wing wearers on a case by case basis, and 2) BUMED is not even sure if they are going to address the results.

BOTTOM LINE-Do not get LASIK...it will be several years (if at all) before it is waiverable for flight.

Okoboji

I got PRK before OCS last year and now have X-ray vision, similar to Clark Kent. The best part is, it only engages when I'm looking at girls so I don't accidentally check out what some dude has to offer. Anyone else with similar PRK results?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I got PRK before OCS last year and now have X-ray vision, similar to Clark Kent. The best part is, it only engages when I'm looking at girls so I don't accidentally check out what some dude has to offer. Anyone else with similar PRK results?

Ususally you have to have a point to be a smart@##. You seem to be trying to get away without one...

donnyglaze

Well, I just got my PRK on Thursday, and I can't see all that good. So if I misspell something, forgive me. Great Christmas huh, laser in the eyes, and Vics for the party afterwards. Oh, and the bill. Jeez, what a crappy way to spend Christmas. Oh well, Im sure that the ends will justify the means...