• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Las Vegas CCX?

hendogg311

Anyone have any stories from a Las Vegas cross country flight during primary. i.e. places to stop on the way out, any good VNAV in Nevada.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
What happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas!!!

I recommend seeing the show La Femme. Worth the bucks.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Stop in Sedona for gas on the way out.....****!n sweet trip through the mountains on the way in. 'bout as close as you can come to simulating a carrier landing with a -34(Sedona's airport is on a plateau) :) Dont get mind ****@d into getting tight...narrow strip and the whole plateau thing can screw you up....**cough** or so I have heard :)

Edited to add: You can plan a sweet VNAV route from Pecos to Sedona...easy checkpoints....follow some roads out of Pecos..pickup a river in a valley...fly it to a dam etc etc. Awesome ride.

beau

eh, dont get broken in Pecos during Thunderstorm Season.....got stuck there for I sh#t you not 4 days waiting for a T-44 to pick us up....but some genius kept deciding to schedule said T-44 flight in the afternoon, which was the perfect time for said T-storms (in fact I saw a tornado touch down while I was bored out of my gored in that god for saken place). That T-44 flight got cancelled three days in a row.....we finially got a matainace crew out there to get the bird fixed....we took their rental car with them to midland and flew home on SWA.

Pecos Sucks! There is not even one bar to go watch monday night football at....I mean no bar what-so-ever. stuck in a crappy hotel room watching the tube. the only, only, only, only good thing about Pecos is the Free shredded beef buritos...that is it!!!

For gods sake, if you plan to go some where.....make it a place that if you where going to break down....you wouldnt mind staying a few days.

Turns out the reason we got 3 hung starts in a row in our T-34.......was a lose Py (I think) air line connector. The Maintainance dude said it was loose when he checked the filter....he fired the thing up and it ran fine.....BUT since it was a certain type of problem, they had to FCF the aircraft.......again...perfectly good A/C and we had to drive 100 miles in a small car with 4 dudes to get to Midland......I guess better to be safe.

alright I"m done!

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Stopping in Sedona is a good idea. Coming out of Vegas, fly over the Grand Canyon (get the charts first).

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
As I was on short final landing at Sedona, my instructor informed me that studs are 3 for 12 at this airport. That screwed it all up... He gave me bad luck (so I wish to say). Sedona isn't the airport that you want your first landing in 2.5 months (like mine). Great view though

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Machine said:
Stopping in Sedona is a good idea. Coming out of Vegas, fly over the Grand Canyon (get the charts first).

Yeah, there are special VFR charts (I don't mean SVFR) that show the canyon and all the sight-seeing routes used by the commercial businesses. Good stuff, required to have it.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Short story time (since you asked)...
Actually this is from advanced out of Kingsville. Once upon a time, a girl got winged. Said girl brought California college sorority friends to her winging. I meet one of these friends, an instructor meets a different one. We all hit it off. The girl I meet works for a comm air. She gets the other girl to fly out (for free) from the East coast, she flies out (for free) from California, and the instructor and I take a cross-country trip to knock out some Instrument hops and meet them at the hotel. After some sun, fun, and a little going out for food and drink (Caramel at the Belaggio was a pretty upscale joint), I was one happy individual. On Sunday when we flew back there can be two things said about my aviator skills. I sucked big time and passed my instrument check with flying colors. So the moral of the story: Vegas=Good times and good grades.