• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Larger 60 Det on Amphib

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Shit, even beyond the Navy you could start asking why there aren't joint procedures, training, facilities, etc in place for all H-60s.

I agree with everything but this. As someone who is currently flying a Navy aircraft that shares procedures, training, etc. with the Air Force, this would be a huge pain in the ass. The road blocks it would put in place on operational Navy squadrons would be catastrophic.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
even beyond the Navy you could start asking why there aren't joint procedures, training, facilities, etc in place for all H-60s.

The logical extension of this is not only consolidate H-60 training but also consolidate advanced helicopter training; i.e., close South Whiting and move everything to Rucker. We barely escaped this previously. Everybody who wants to leave PCola Beach for Dothan, raise your hands.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I actually wrote up a paper (journal article) on that and decided not to submit it. It actually makes a lot of sense to merge the 2 types of squadrons and operate them like legacy HS. Simplifies manning, MX, etc. I decided the potential hate it would spawn wasn't worth the effort.

I know the subject has come up beyond just JO spit-balling. It would be a paradigm shift, but in some ways, could be a win if done correctly. When HSC is talking about putting torps on their rails (true story), it does beg the question.

We put B's and F's together on CG's back in the day. Having the dipper along with the B's RADAR was pretty effective. We had a R from the San Jacinto provide ASW search off the coast of HOA during our LHD deployment when there was an assessed OOA deployer lurking about. ARG's have absolutely zero ASW capability.

It's weird how just a few years ago, HSL started deploying regularly with an ARG, and now that seems to have vanished. I've heard from guys who have done it that the B and F team was a great way to go. With the R now having both pieces of equipment, I'm surprised it's not a thing now...that said, the community is very focused on CVW ops right now. There's a definite vibe that if you're not a CVW CO, you're on the B-team.

Shit, even beyond the Navy you could start asking why there aren't joint procedures, training, facilities, etc in place for all H-60s.

Meh. I say this not because I think the R cures cancer, but just because of how different it is from all the other 'Hawks (including the the B, in some ways)... You'd have to be careful here. The R is such a different animal since it's so much heavier, so you'd have to make sure the curriculum would match that. I've flown with S->R transition guys, and they adapt, just like everyone else, but you do have to respect the numerous limitations that the R brings to the flight-side of things.

You probably would have a pretty kick-ass bar at the squadron, though, thanks to the AF guys.