• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Language Training

pmasters

Hey everyone, I just pro-rec'd SWO and NFO in BDCP (I think I'm going SWO) and was curious if anyone had insights on the feasibility/chances of being able to get DoD language training. I haven't been able to find anything very useful online. I'm a bit of a language geek and don't think I'd have a problem qualifying for CAT-4.

Is it even likely that a SWO would be able to get DoD training?

My first choice would be Chinese, although I've taken a few years of Arabic and that'd be fine too.

Any information or reference to where my question has already been answered would be much appreciated. My recruiter was not particularly helpful on the subject.

fusu

ditto question for INTEL if anyone wants to chime in.

pmasters, just you might want to look into state dept. fully funded training which I was able to do independent of the Navy during this last summer (how great is BDCP for freedom). I went to Harbin China on it this summer.

take a look https://clscholarship.org/home.php

pmasters

Thanks for the link that looks like an excellent program, I'll definitely apply. PS congrats on getting Intel, its my first choice and I haven't heard yet, but realistically speaking I have a roughly 0% chance of getting it.

The only thing my recruiter knew on the subject was that officers are never assured language training and you'd have to take the test and hope the Needs of the Navy happen to coincide with yours. No info other than that. It seems logical that Intel guys would be more likely to get the language training though...

Although if China every decides to row their canoes to Taiwan I'll be fighting them, not you...

NavyOne

Guys,

There are currently five billets (I believe) for IWO officers at DLI. Arabic, Farsi, and Chinese.

Still when I was there, a SWO was taking Arabic down the hall from me. She had done a sea tour or two and had worked out a deal with her detailer.

I heard a rumor you can pick up Rosetta training free, but you probably want the classroom.

Also, there is something called an Olmstead Scholarship. They used to pick ten a year, now I hear they are choosing twenty or so out of all the services. If you are chosen, you get the language training of your choice and then you go to that country and get your Masters. Very prestigious. Also very challenging. But a good goal if that is your sort of thing. Google Olmstead (Olmsted?) and check out the personal stories of some of the previous students.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it even likely that a SWO would be able to get DoD training?

Personnel Exchange Program.

Also, I have no idea what the name of the program is, but I know a ton of JO SWOs here at Naval Postgraduate School who have follow-on orders to DLI.

NavyOne

I think the NPS follow-on tours are for the regional masters program they have there. I could be wrong though.

And PEP is a good deal. But I have met folks who did not learn the language and went on a PEP tour. Or perhaps they had language training, but not at DLI. . .

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the NPS follow-on tours are for the regional masters program they have there. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, not so much. Most of them are taking laguages unrelated to their region. I don't get it either.

And PEP is a good deal. But I have met folks who did not learn the language and went on a PEP tour. Or perhaps they had language training, but not at DLI. . .

I don't know how you could do a PEP tour without already knowing the language. If you mean they tested out on the DLPT and did not have to attend, I understand.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Man, I have a hard enough time speaking English real good...props to y'all for learning those Hadji languages...:D

NavyOne

Yeah, not so much. Most of them are taking laguages unrelated to their region. I don't get it either.
Hmm. That is strange. They must have worked out a good deal with their detailer. Though they probably owe him/her their first-born.

I don't know how you could do a PEP tour without already knowing the language. If you mean they tested out on the DLPT and did not have to attend, I understand.
My DH did a PEP with the Dutch as an NFO. I know he did not go to DLI. I will have to ask him where he got his language training.

Man, I have a hard enough time speaking English real good...props to y'all for learning those Hadji languages...

He-he. Language training is sometimes an odd thing. I knew a smart college grad who failed out of Spanish and got fleeted as an undesignated SN. And then I knew many kids who seemed unfocused and they rocked their hajji language with little/no studying.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm. That is strange. They must have worked out a good deal with their detailer. Though they probably owe him/her their first-born.

It isn't a good deal. If you take a follow-on in your regional language, you do comprehensive exams instead of a thesis, which most people would prefer. Not to mention really becoming somewhat of a true Subject Matter Expert in your region.

If you do a different language, you have to write a thesis.

My DH did a PEP with the Dutch as an NFO. I know he did not go to DLI. I will have to ask him where he got his language training.

If it's "Cooter," I heard he went to DLI East or whatever they call it in DC.

pmasters

Thanks for the good info so far, I'll definitely be looking into PEP, unfortunately its all so far away...

Fusu how was Chinese for you? My girl is a native speaker and I'm working on mastering tonal pronunciation, but we don't go to the same school and therefore Chinese lessons are sparse.

The only other language I'm fluent in is Spanish, AKA the world's simplest non-invented language.

fusu

pmasters

I was stuck in the "wow-spanish-is-irrelevant-trap" too, so I started taking Chinese at school. Its hard, but I'm sure you assumed that. Tones are miserably hard to master and you spend a ton of time memorizing. That said it can also be a lot of fun and what's more Chinese food is kind of delicious.

I'll say this though having a Chinese girlfriend (well I guess especially if you can only speak Chinese) is the best way to learn it, so you already have a leg up on most folks.

That's probably true of any language come to think of it. Getting laid is sort of a compelling reason to hit the books :D.

pmasters

Ha well it turns out Spanish is pretty relevant, I use it all the time. The only downside is that we live in a country where people who speak Spanish and English as native tongues are a dime a dozen, so no matter how good I am at it there are plenty of people out there who've been speaking it with mommy and daddy since they were born and learned English at school and normal life.

And the girlfriend has been here since age 5 so her English is quite perfect, although I'm still not sold that Chinese dirty-talk would be sexy at all. I suppose I'll have to ask...

I must ask this though, why hasn't China gotten with the times and developed an alphabet, something that we westerners managed some 2000 years ago? Those glorified hyroglyphs are absurdly complicated and numerous.

And I agree, as much as I love tacos, Chinese cuisine (authentic) is phenomenal. Too bad they're commies...

Nafod

Change I can belive in
I must ask this though, why hasn't China gotten with the times and developed an alphabet, something that we westerners managed some 2000 years ago? Those glorified hyroglyphs are absurdly complicated and numerous.

That would be even more difficult than changing all our spelling to follow the IPA and just as big of a waste of time.