• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Knives?

navy09

None
Not a big fan of the collapsible straight baton.

I seldom carry mine, but it's better than nothing if I'm going to a bar or some other place that guns are banned. It seems they are pretty effective against knives, but like you, I would hope that whipping it out would be scary enough to make most people back off.

FlyinRock

And if you don't know what you are doing you may end up getting your own very personal baton used as a enema by someone who is a whole lot more knowledgable than you?
The mere fact of having something as a potential weapon might work for a few .....
I'd much rather be able to use that weapon effectively and eliminate the BS of "mine is bigger than yours......" and hope the threat goes away?
OK, take a deep breath.... going back to the original post of why you carry a knife. I suspect very few, VERY few will ever have to poke someone with their favorite knife for self defense. So, it seems to be a matter of what is used for survival or daily use.
I'm going to see if I can keep track of how many times a day I use a knife in daily life. What for and how come. I really doubt I'll get into any knife fights this week. If I do I'd rather pull my 1911 and just shoot the asshole.
Trying to keep this from degrading or seguing into a whole different thread.
Just went to sharpen all my blades for therapy. No cutting remarks please? <ggg>

navy09

None
And if you don't know what you are doing you may end up getting your own very personal baton used as a enema by someone who is a whole lot more knowledgable than you?

That's a risk you take when you choose to carry any weapon. That's why you train to deploy and retain it effectively.

Didn't mean to t-jack you, but you asked for alternatives in your OP... Back on topic, I don't carry a knife as I have absolutely no training on how to fight with one- something I've wanted to change but haven't had a chance to yet.

FlyinRock

Ahh, if you don't carry any weapons what are your alternatives? This has long been a point of discussion. Armed Forces of the USA. What in hell does armed forces mean if you are not armed and trained to use them?
It starts with the individual.
If you are part of the armed forces, it implies you are going to be armed and expected to be able to use those arms? If not, you are going to be a drag on those who do as expected.
We each have our specialty and hopefully hone those skills on a daily basis. If we choose to carry a knife, what is its intended purpose? To clean our fingernails or open mail, or for more deadly intent? Historically, only about 10-15% ever end up face to face in mortal combat with an armed opponent. For the rest of us, we use our knives as a tool in much the same way we use the wheel?
In my lifetime I have chosen to become proficient in martial arts and also enjoy myself in primitive conditions. Sometimes I wonder if those primitive conditions don't also include the dark streets of more than a few cities around the world including Pensacola, Mobile, New Orleans, NYC, etc, etc.
No matter where we go, the potential exists that we may need to defend ourselves or others. How effective we are is individual. As military, it is teamwork. Can you imagine where we'd be without the advantage of sharp implements like knives, axes, razors, and so on? (not to mention the wheel and fire)
Semper Fi
Rocky

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
The mere fact of having something as a potential weapon might work for a few .....

For the record, I have been trained on a CSB and carry one on a daily basis.

I have also seen countless videos where a CSB or OC spray has been used on people that are on PCP, drunk, high or just stupid... they just keep on coming most times.

I guess at that point you articulate, "I was attempting to strike the solar plexis when the subject moved and my baton struck him in the temple."

BigRed389

None
For the record, I have been trained on a CSB and carry one on a daily basis.

I have also seen countless videos where a CSB or OC spray has been used on people that are on PCP, drunk, high or just stupid... they just keep on coming most times.

I guess at that point you articulate, "I was attempting to strike the solar plexis when the subject moved and my baton struck him in the temple."

And OC just plain doesn't work all that well on some individuals.

I've seen firsthand, countless people get OC sprayed directly in the face from about 3 feet away...some wig out and can't continue, but others act like they weren't even hit and fight for a full 5 minutes.
The active agent IS basically just pepper extract...some people can handle it, others can't.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
Yep... the OC gel is a joke too. All you do is wipe it off your face.

No experience with tasers here. I can tell you I'd rather not carry one.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I think that given a choice between being shot in a non-lethal area or sprayed with OC again, I'd take the bullet.

As far as knives, it depends on what you want:

If you want a big farking knife, hard to beat a Himalayan-Imports Khukri.

2-19-09%20003.jpg

Fixed Blade, Rat Cutlery makes some pretty awesome blades in various sizes, 3,4,5,6 inch and some other good stuff too. I believe they all use 1095 steel which is (IMHO) a pretty damn good material.

Here is a picture of the 3" blade.
rc-3%20knives.jpg

Folder, I carry a Mini-Griptilian from Benchmade. The axis-lock is supposedly one of the strongest (ie: If I have to, I could use this folder for a fixed-blade task and at the very least have a better shot at keeping my fingers intact). Especially w/ regards to spine whack tests.

It has 154CM steel and the blade is only 2.9" long, they also have a regular sized Griptilian which has a longer blade.
BenchmadeMiniGriptilian-Sma.jpg

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
all you need is one of these:

RamboSurvivalKnife.jpg

It's the knife that saved America. If you liked the film Exploder,you'll
love this enormous commemorative survival knife. In the handle you'll find all the
things you'll need in any wilderness, disaster situation or jungle of your backyard.
It comes complete with fishingline, needle and thread for sewing gashes back together.
And an incredibly useful endurable toothpick. For those unplanned extended stays in the jungle, there’s a saw for building
your own hut, toilet paper and a fold out woman for company. As well as a serrated blade
that can kill a man before he can scream.This knife killed 25,000 people in Cambodia. Now you can too.

I currently have Benchmade I carry around with me everywhere and a kbar that stays by my bed.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
I tried posting back when the thread started but no joy.

Survival: Always, ALWAYS have a Leatherman on the belt. A pretty simple one, not a retarded over loaded model. One that can be maintained. Mine's the Leatherman Blast. Gerber is also great. When the Leatherman is not appropriate, I have a good old Victorinox Swiss Army Knife because, damn it, friggin Macguyver used one.

Folder: Gotta be a Benchmade. Cam lock is damn near fault free. I use the D2 with a thumb-hole. Needs to be secure and readily deployable. I don't prefer autos because I've had one open on me while it was in my pocket.

Big Knife: My mortardness screams KA-BAR. But I actually like the OKC-3S by Ontario Knife Co. It's comfortable to hold, grippy, and a bitch to sharpen, which means that it holds its edge longer. Sheath has a ceramic rod for sharpening and a MOLLE strap. And it's damn quiet while running.

Wild Card: Always carry a cheap $30 blade in your car or coat in case you forget any of the above. Asps only work on the Hip-Hop crowd in my neighborhood, but are ineffective against a mob carrying bricks. Ahh the bouncer days.

I imagine a few of you may actually agree with me.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Folder, I carry a Mini-Griptilian from Benchmade. The axis-lock is supposedly one of the strongest (ie: If I have to, I could use this folder for a fixed-blade task and at the very least have a better shot at keeping my fingers intact). Especially w/ regards to spine whack tests.

It has 154CM steel and the blade is only 2.9" long, they also have a regular sized Griptilian which has a longer blade.
View attachment 8345
That's the same knife I used for before I got the auto. I still love it, I jsut wanted to do my part for the economy with the auto.

I'll echo the leatherman comment. I always have one in my helmet bag (serialized of course).

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Just because something is a "tougher" steel that is harder to put an edge on, doesn't mean it has better or worse edge retention.

Check out this "Steel FAQ" from Bladeforums (a pretty good knife forum)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368828

I understand where you are coming from (and agree to an extent), but according to your reference, toughnesss and edge holding are two different characteristics. What I said is pertaining to "if it's difficult to put an edge on it (initially), it is usually difficult to degrade it."

My original comment was in regards to further sharpening a new edge. In my experience with blades and sharpening, which has been a short 20+ years compared to Rock's experience, the harder it was to initially sharpen a new blade, the longer it would hold its edge. I'm sure there are exceptions, but my OKC-3S holds better than my KA-BAR hands down.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
This is mine for daily work use:

knife.jpg

mine's a lot more worn out from cutting seatbelts and opening jammed car hoods, etc but i like it pretty good.