• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

kingsville

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam

SNA, VT-21
haven't seen much of anything about kingsville on this forum. anyone there? i selected yesterday and report on november 17th. i'll probably head out there from whiting in a couple of weeks to check things out. any gouge/advice would be great!

adam

"one man can make a difference, but every man should try." kennedy

Ray

They make you live in Kingsville unless you are an instructor or transition student. There are two navy built apartment places in Kingsville. I live in Hawk's Landing. The other one is Hunter's Cove. Hunter's Cove is more family oriented and Hawk's Landing is more for single people. Both places are about the same quality and usually have vacancies. You have to go through the housing office on base to get an apartment though because there can be a waiting list.

adam

SNA, VT-21
what are the chances of my wife and i getting off base housing? the housing lady said it's pretty tough but didn't give me much of an idea. also, i'm heading out there next week to check it out. any way to get my pubs early? don't want an idle month to go to waste. are they flying any of the charlie models or are they all still alphas?

thanks, adam

Oscar

E-2C Rag Student
All of the housing in Kingsville is off-base. They do what's called a public-private venture. The base has contracts with Hawk's Landing and Hunter's Cove, and you basically pay them your BAH minus $120 for a 2 or 3 bedroom townhouse. They are both located about 2 minutes off-base. You can rent a house out in town, but from what I've seen unless you have roommates that you're splitting the cost with, then you'll pay more than your BAH. The quality of the housing and the neighborhoods out in town is pretty questionable though.
You can probably pick up books early. Just go to the sim building where the book issue room is, and ask the lady. I'm not positive that she'll give them to you early, but they're pretty laid back down here.
All of the jets down here are alphas.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
If you're married you get priority on the PPV units (Hawks Landing and Hunters Cove). They seem pretty nice. I've also seen some decent houses rented in town (and some not so decent).

And the book issue lady is almost never there. But if you do catch her, you can get your books early.

jmantel02

For all current K-villers:

I'm set to report in there on Nov 6th, and I was told my "class up" date will be Dec 8th. I was just wondering how the whole check-in process is conducted and what I'll be expected to do for the month or so between my report and class date. (If that class date is even reliable) Any input and help is appreciated.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Your class date is probably a pretty good bet. You can get your books. You can get checked out to do practice sims, but the guys in the pool are last priority for them, so it might be difficult. You can get backseat rides, but I heard the paraloft is backed-up so you might not have your gear to do so. Otherwise, just about everyone else I've seen musters in the morning and thats about it.

mattsonfam

I'm an SNA in Corpus that just selected Jets, Kingsville. I was recently down in Kingsville and asked some of the maintanence workers about the T-45. They said they were starting to update them to the Charlie models (with the digital cockpit). I was wodering if anyone had any info on this or when students can expect to start training in the new cockpit.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The word was that the first Charlie sim will be working in November. That may be bad gouge though, since I heard that when I first started in Kingsville. Don't expect to see the C's anytime soon. And remember when they do transition it will be slow, with instructors having to go though a little IUT program to get qualed in the charlie (I'm sure that won't take long though).

Ray

I think there are two C models in Kingsville now. I wasn't aware that they were even upgrading them yet. One of the ground school teachers said they were putting in the equipment for GPS nav and a velocity vector first. But that sounds like BS to me too. Right now to get a charlie qual as an instructor you need to have a certain amount of hours in the A model. It will take a while to get Kingsville up to snuff with meridian.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Patmack- you select E2s or C2s when you class up at the Rag (or just before technically classing up). I've heard that you and your compatriots decide who goes where given the available slots (few C-2s, but each week is different). If you can't figure it out, then most likely names are drawn out of a hat. If anyone knows differently, please share.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ray-
Can you imagine how much easier it would be to fly the ball if you had a velocity vector. I guess that the visual attitude of the aircraft is a good indication of where you are about to go (high or low)... but it took me a long time to figure out exactly what the aircraft was about to do (and I probably still have it wrong).

DevilDucksGirl

SNA Wife- Advanced Helos
My 2 cents- and some questions...

Kingsville is not so great.
thumbdn_125.gif
We've driven down there- and we were there for about 15 minutes and left. Needless to say- we did not feel comfortable there. My SNA and I live in Corpus and a neighbor of ours works for the CCPD and said at all cost to stay out of Kingsville because of the amount of crime and for other reasons I won't post on here. So, we're thinking when he selects- and hopefully
clover_125.gif
gets jets- we'd either go to Meridian or live on the southern side of CC and make the 20 - 30 minute drive. I can't imagine that they 'make' everyone that trains there to live in those two apartment complexes
irked_125.gif
- and has far as the housing- it is NOT so great either. So, I wonder... can we stay in CC- and just move closer to Kingsville- or do we HAVE to go- and if so- where/how is that documented?

Just curious- these things will be upcoming in the next few months...something to start thinking about.
icon_smile.gif

Heather

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
They don't make you stay in one of the two housing complexes, but not much outside of those is all that great. But, yes, you do 'HAVE' to live in Kingsville. They asked, several times, when we checked in. Your address etc. is documented on the squadron recall roster- I can't imagine them actually checking that, but just so you know. As far as crime rate, it doesn't seem too bad here on the South side (by the base) and my car insurance went down compared to Corpus, so it can't be too much worse. Hope this helps some!

Status
Not open for further replies.