• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kingsville T-45 Crash

MasterBates

Thats what I thought.. I was on leave.. Of course some jabroni calls me to tell me a jet landed on my RV..

Time to go to the bah...

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Must be nice to have a helo. One of these days someone is going to punch in the Navy Meridian local area and get hung up in a pine tree overnight.

We had a T-2 Marine stud that wound up in a pine tree in 1989 and, while descending through the tree, a limb entered his thigh, locked onto his hip, and wound up rotating his hip about 45 degrees as he was hung up about 50' off the ground.

i was the on scene commander and found the IP pretty quickly, though it was a little tough because the plane crashed about ten miles from where they came down (they jumped out passing through 10,000'), and the IP's call was "I'm in an open field with pine trees all around me."

I found him by asking him if he could hear me, and which direction did I 'sound like' I was. That got me to within about five miles of him, and then he saw me, and talked me over to him.

When I asked him if he had contact with the SNA, he said "No, but I can hear him screaming."

The SNA was med down for over a year going through rehab, then wound up selecting Hornets and is now a United pilot.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... When I asked him if he had contact with the SNA, he said "No, but I can hear him screaming."

The SNA was med down for over a year going through rehab, then wound up selecting Hornets and is now a United pilot.
What a beautiful story ... i.e., STUDs screaming, STUDs Med Down, STUDs in rehab, STUDs selecting fighter/attack .... and now a former STUD an airline pilot.

Can ANYONE say "thank you Jesus" ... ??? :D

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
What a beautiful story ... i.e., STUDs screaming, STUDs Med Down, STUDs in rehab, STUDs selecting fighter/attack .... and now a former STUD an airline pilot.

Can ANYONE say "thank you Jesus" ... ??? :D

In a bit of irony, the stud's mother-in-law was the principal at the school my two sons attended when we lived in Annapolis. I had the chance to meet him again in 2001. He says "thank you Jesus" several times a day.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did the Hueys go away? They used to be the Station SAR there.
Apparently some bean counter decided that since the asset hadn't been used in 5 years, the expense couldn't be justified. Or that's the rumor I heard.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I work with a helo dude who came here from Pax and among other things, worked on the Station SAR problem, replacing the Hueys and H-3s with stripped-down 60B's. He said the money just wasn't there to replace all of them, and it was kind of hard to justify giving NAS CC the helos when they have a CGAS right there. The more isolated NAS's, like Fallon and Key West, took priority, and P'cola will get some because they support the rescue swimmer school and API.

I was stashed at NASP SAR before API, and we were out bumming around one day when an IP from Whiting jumped. He landed in the pine trees without injury, but it was a madhouse overhead by the time we got there. T-34s circling around arguing about who was on-scene commander, H-57s trying to get in between the trees and pick him up, etc. The HAC got us in where the main mounts were dang near in the treetops and the aircrew hoisted the survivor without problems. Pretty cool jam to see as an ensign.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Apparently some bean counter decided that since the asset hadn't been used in 5 years, the expense couldn't be justified. Or that's the rumor I heard.

Lots of Station SAR went away...PCola is now just Helicopter Support Unit, Brunswick and their Hueys went away, Pax and their H-3s. I think the only station SARs left are Whidbey, Key West, and Fallon. USMC still might have some station SARs left too. My guess is it has something to do with the National SAR plan having USAF covering inland and USCG doing over-water.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lots of Station SAR went away...I think the only station SARs left are Whidbey, Key West, and Fallon....
GUM ... or PGUA, if you prefer, now that they reside @ Andersen, as opposed to NAS Agana. Probably Atsugi as well ... but I suppose you were talkin' CONUS.

HSC-25 Island Knights

HSC25%20home.jpg

Flugelman

Contributor
He said the money just wasn't there to replace all of them, and it was kind of hard to justify giving NAS CC the helos when they have a CGAS right there.

I can remember standing the Ops Duty there and having to launch the station helo when the CG bird was down. Circa 1980 or so...

Pags

N/A
pilot
A4s, HSC-25 is what an HC squadron used to be, not a Station SAR outfit.

...but I think they do a lot more homeguard SAR then your run of the mill helo squadron. No clue about whether HSL-51 or HS-14 out of NAF Atsugi stands a SAR duty.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s, HSC-25 is what an HC squadron used to be, not a Station SAR outfit.
You say potato, I say potah-toe .... from their website:

" .... HSC-25 also provides 24-hour Search and Rescue (SAR) and Medical Evacuation (MEDEVAC) services for Guam and the Northern Marianas Islands ..."

Sounds like SAR to me, by any other name. And that's what they were doing most of the time, every time, I flew into GUM and they've been there ... when's the last time you were in Guam?? :)

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
...but I think they do a lot more homeguard SAR then your run of the mill helo squadron. No clue about whether HSL-51 or HS-14 out of NAF Atsugi stands a SAR duty.

Japanese are primary SAR at Atsugi. Its funny when they launch the SAR helo for a P-3 3 engine approach.

ghost

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Japanese are primary SAR at Atsugi. Its funny when they launch the SAR helo for a P-3 3 engine approach.

ghost
I believe it. The J's are wound very, very, very tight.

Try requesting a day VFR visual approach with an empty pattern early in the morning @ Narita, let alone declare an emergency .... don't even consider that. :)